ACC and Fan attendance - to update as information is public

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
As the ACC football season inches closer, teams are sharing general expectations for fan attendance. It varies wildly across the conference, leaving some schools with potential home-field disadvantages.

UVA published the information they have currently for their road games:

UVa’s five road opponents offer an interesting blend of allowed attendances.

Sept. 19 at Virginia Tech​

It’s unclear if the Hokies will follow the Cavaliers' idea of allowing mostly family members of coaches and players in the stands, but, like UVa, Virginia Tech anticipates a seating limit of 1,000 people.

Guidelines may change by mid-September, which could allow more people to attend the contest. If the guideline stays the same, the Cavaliers and Hokies will compete for the Commonwealth Cup in Lane Stadium in front of roughly 65,000 empty seats.

Oct. 3 at Clemson​

The Clemson Insider reported this week that Clemson was looking at allowing roughly 16,000 fans at games this fall, which would be just below 25% of Memorial Stadium’s capacity. While that report is not official, the ballpark number checks out.
The University of South Carolina announced Thursday that it expects about 20,000 fans per game this fall. State officials approved the plans for South Carolina. With a stadium seating capacity similar to South Carolina’s, the reigning ACC champions will likely receive a similar plan to their in-state rival. Expect approximately 15,000-20,000 people at Clemson games this fall.

Oct. 17 at Wake Forest​

Phase II of North Carolina’s reopening lasts through Sept. 11. Phase II allows spectators at sporting events. Unfortunately for fans, the spectator limit must also follow the outdoor space gathering.

Oct. 24 at Miami​

According to reports from local Miami news outlets, the Hurricanes are still working with Hard Rock Stadium to determine exact seating capacity limits.
The stadium holds 65,326 people typically. Florida and Florida State are looking at approximately 15-25% of capacity for their home games. If Miami followed a similar path as their in-state rivals and went to 15% seating capacity, it would allow roughly 10,000 fans.

Nov. 28 at Florida State​

Florida State shared a couple weeks ago that home games will adhere to social distancing guidelines, which will likely limit seating capacity to 20-25% of a usual home game. Doak Campbell Stadium holds 79,560 people.
The Seminoles will likely bring 15,000-20,000 people to home contests.

Interestingly, the program also plans to allow tailgating for home games. FSU announced tailgating guidelines earlier this week. It’s unclear if tailgating will still be allowed by the time UVa visits Tallahassee in late November.
“If we as a Seminole family cannot create a tailgating environment that protects the health and safety of each other, it may be necessary to revisit this approach,” FSU athletic director David Coburn said in a news release.

Advertisement
I just dont get why they cant let 10k to 20k into a game. Seat groups in blocks of 4 to 6 and just make it really strict on how entering and leaving the stadium will work. Id say maybe no tailgating and serve drinks for first half of game then cut it off. A big group of people to drunk wont obey the rules. Just seems so silly a 50k seat stadium cant have 10k people in it.

Before these thoughts came out, I posted on here this same solution. If social distance is a means to help curve this virus, then limit ur capacity of fans, and have them wear mask. ****, u can make a small profit by selling team logo masks. U can do 70 / 30 split between home / visiting fans. Spread them out so social distance is in tact, and u can pipe in crowd noise. Shoot, u can do it like the Rugby leagues where they put cut outs in camera views along with fans to give a feel of a full stadium if u wanted to go that far.

But the point is, get the seating logistics together, and I guarantee you can have fans with no issues. Also, like they do at the hospitals, b4 any fans attend, take their temperatures before entering the gates. U can set the concessions stands up with 6 feet of distance as well. This can be done.

Advertisement
I saw Satterfield on TV the other day and they are chomping at the bit to get going, think they have a great team, speed you name it. Looking forward to having Canes come to town. Not surprised they're going with 30%.

Advertisement
i wouldn't go if it were 50%, plus that puts a lot of people in less desirable seats.
Do you go to Walmart? Especially the grocery section? Ain’t no 6 feet and there’s nobody counting capacity. Add in some aren’t wearing masks.

I’m different tho I’m of the mindset to let ppl do what they want. Pack the stadium out if you have the ppl that want to do it

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back