Aaron Fitt thinks we're out

My biggest problem with this season is that it didn't move us forward. We were always going to take a step back this year. However, rather than bringing in and playing freshman position players the staff decided to go the JUCO route. I suspect Morris' impending retirement was a driving factor in that decision. So rather than having a class of experienced rising sophomores we get to start over once again. I understand that this was slightly exacerbated by the Amditis injury, but playing Davison/Burns/Tackett over Baldor was short sighted.

We were top 25 in the preseason polls. It wasn't expected to be total rebuild, but turned out to be a perfect storm of suckage. No .300 hitter in the lineup. Almost every returning position player regressed (only exception I can think of is Romy, and he was so lost his freshman year, anything would be better). All the juco position players busted. Amditis got injured. No reliable closer. Lepore, the initial Friday guy, got his first and last win in the first game of the season. Midtown was bad. I could go on and on.

All that and we still ended up being the first team out. A good coach could get this program rolling again quickly. Too bad that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Advertisement
There was no problem with the schedule. The problem was not winning enough games on the schedule.

When you are allowed to play 58 games and you choose to play 56, and then your record is the main reason why you were left out, the schedule is a problem. 32-26 gets us in.

Advertisement
Back