Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not going to act like I know much about the science behind S&C but this seems like nitpicking. Handing picking games Oregon lost and determining Felds routine off a television segment doesn’t seem fair. Every coach has pros and cons.

Feeley gets credit for the team never being gassed but the Oline could not generate a push in the running game for 3 years. Does that make him a bad S&C? Of course not. I think it’s best to use the wait and see approach with Feld before judging him.
That’s because the oline wasn’t talented enough to do so

Who Cares Larry David GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Advertisement
Really hate that we moved off Feeley. For once we actually had a proper S&C coach and he's gone in a flash. Plus I've seen Oregon fans saying good riddance to Feld as they say there have been a ton of injuries under his watch.

Plus that mustache is so ******* wack.

Last edited:
Chucks are great for HS lifters, **** I workout barefoot

Straps for cleans? What?!
I've seen it done, but I always thought straps for cleans were dangerous. With cleans I am a supporter of never failing a lift. If your grip fails I'm okay with that being your max. How much more weight is being missed on that max vs what is being risked to close that gap? And if the max is tested to determine training weight for the program, sometimes it is best to use the value of a missed lift rather than the best "official" lift.

Agree w/ all this, including weight lifting shoes. Very important.
100%. The shoes issue is surprising. Adidas manufactures elite weightlifting shoes, AdiPower II. Get every athlete two pair. They’ll last several years, if not their entire UM career.

I do wonder how proficient college coaches are at coaching weightlifting. Of course, the lifts are not being used to develop national and world-class weightlifters, but the coach(s) should know enough to develop technically proficient athletes.

I know several coaches who could teach a newbie the basics, using only bars and light weights, but would send the athlete to a real weightlifting coach if the athlete was interested in pursuing full time training.

I don’t believe weightlifting is a competitive sport at many, if any schools. This is one reason the US is not competitive internationally. That, plus real testing for PEDs, and elite athletes focusing on sports that pay.

Really hate that we moved off Feeley. For once we actually had a proper S&C coach and he's gone in a flash. Plus I've seen Oregon fans saying good riddance to Feld as they say there have been a ton of injuries under his watch.

Plus that mustache is so ******* wack.
There have been a ton of injuries under Feeley in case you didn't notice.

Advertisement
100%. The shoes issue is surprising. Adidas manufactures elite weightlifting shoes, AdiPower II. Get every athlete two pair. They’ll last several years, if not their entire UM career.

I do wonder how proficient college coaches are at coaching weightlifting. Of course, the lifts are not being used to develop national and world-class weightlifters, but the coach(s) should know enough to develop technically proficient athletes.

I know several coaches who could teach a newbie the basics, using only bars and light weights, but would send the athlete to a real weightlifting coach if the athlete was interested in pursuing full time training.

I don’t believe weightlifting is a competitive sport at many, if any schools. This is one reason the US is not competitive internationally. That, plus real testing for PEDs, and elite athletes focusing on sports that pay.

Yeah, that caught me off guard, as well. The avg. weight lifting shoe is between $140-200. That should easily be provided to every student athlete. And like u highlighted, they r durable af. I never lift heavy w/o the proper footwear. Worked out w/ a body builder who turned me on & it made a world a difference to me feet, ankles, & lower back as I didn’t have to compromise those areas as much w/ the stabilized weight lifting shoes. I have the Nike Romaleos 4 & their perfect, but I know Adidas make several good one, as well.

Yeah, that caught me off guard, as well. The avg. weight lifting shoe is between $140-200. That should easily be provided to every student athlete. And like u highlighted, they r durable af. I never lift heavy w/o the proper footwear. Worked out w/ a body builder who turned me on & it made a world a difference to me feet, ankles, & lower back as I didn’t have to compromise those areas as much w/ the stabilized weight lifting shoes. I have the Nike Romaleos 4 & their perfect, but I know Adidas make several good one, as well.
I have a pair of Nike Romaleo 3s and a pair of Sabos (Russian) for squatting. Make a world difference due to ankle mobility issues. Deadlift in flat-soled deadlifting shoes, deadlifting slippers, or sometimes barefoot.

I have a pair of Nike Romaleo 3s and a pair of Sabos (Russian) for squatting. Make a world difference due to ankle mobility issues. Deadlift in flat-soled deadlifting shoes, deadlifting slippers, or sometimes barefoot.

Spot on bro; I’m actually a bit disappointed to hear that so many S&C programs don’t have the proper shoes for these athletes. That’s 101, but now that I think back to all of the videos I’ve viewed, they were heavy squatting in basic tennis shoes.

Advertisement
Spot on bro; I’m actually a bit disappointed to hear that so many S&C programs don’t have the proper shoes for these athletes. That’s 101, but now that I think back to all of the videos I’ve viewed, they were heavy squatting in basic tennis shoes.
Basic flat tennis shoes, and Chucks, might not be so bad. Spongy cross-trainers, no way.

I’ve seen elite powerlifters like Dan Green squat barefoot as a training tool, but lifting should always be done with the proper attire and equipment. Especially at the D1/P5 multi-million $$$ programs. No excuse when programs spend millions on facilities and coaches.

Strength and conditioning is the most subjective part of a college football program man
It’s crazy, Swasey for example didn’t even have certain credentials but yet Hall of Famers love him. Gus Felder was just lazy letting kids work out, Feeley was good, at least I assume but we didn’t look physical.

Doesn’t feld come from the Bama Cochran chain? I know Cochran left for Ga and got a position coach job and I believe is on leave but Feld reminds me of him, and Bama seemed to be doing okay.

I don’t know one team who likes SC coach.

**** our teams in the late 2000’s just drank muscle milk all day and got fat as crap.

The most dominant the program has looked in the last 15 years was on Gus Felder’s watch, and many seem to regard him as a joke.

So did we manhandle VTech and ND because of Felder, or because we had NFL players in the front 7?

Recruit. Good. Players.

I’m not saying S&C doesn’t matter, but the future of the program doesn’t hinge on BOSU balls.
Gus was famous for not showing up when players wanted. He was very involved with them, kids wanted to put in work but he wouldn’t unlock the freaking door. We just looked dominant really in 1 season Gus was our SC

Keir (Rugby SC) is a d1ickhead, but he runs Strength Coach Network which is good chit. His Tribe Test is good. I like his reverse engineering mindset to S&C.

Feld doesn't put out much of what he does, which leads to people nitpicking the little he does put out. Not his 'fault' just how the bored *** S&C world works.

Standing still, on a Bosu ball or not, ain't gonna make you faster.

You condition for practice by practicing. For playing games by playing games.

Mental Toughness won't be 'created' in the weight room or by doing 300's.

I'd rather get an S&C coach from Morris, Mann, Hester, Ballou/Rhea, or Dietz tree than Cokehran's.

Hope Miami can cut down on injuries: King, Harris, Rivers, Gaynor, J Williams, etc etc was too **** many. Thibs, Verdell, Flowe etc is too **** many.
Honest question because you seem to be knowledgeable. What can be done to prevent some of the injuries you mentioned?

Advertisement
Back