Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

I wonder when people start to realize that dominance at the line of scrimmage very rarely has something to do with physical condition and more with executing technique.
This is another huge point!!!! If your athletes are healthy and have strong technique, being at a deficit on strength can be mitigated. You see it all the time. My anecdotal experience is in martial arts and bjj. Certainly it's consistent across sports.

Advertisement
Keir (Rugby SC) is a d1ickhead, but he runs Strength Coach Network which is good chit. His Tribe Test is good. I like his reverse engineering mindset to S&C.

Feld doesn't put out much of what he does, which leads to people nitpicking the little he does put out. Not his 'fault' just how the bored *** S&C world works.

Standing still, on a Bosu ball or not, ain't gonna make you faster.

You condition for practice by practicing. For playing games by playing games.

Mental Toughness won't be 'created' in the weight room or by doing 300's.

I'd rather get an S&C coach from Morris, Mann, Hester, Ballou/Rhea, or Dietz tree than Cokehran's.

Hope Miami can cut down on injuries: King, Harris, Rivers, Gaynor, J Williams, etc etc was too **** many. Thibs, Verdell, Flowe etc is too **** many.

So what was so wrong in the ten second video? Honest question
Track coach here....the notion of standing on a stability ball making you faster is what they are harping on. While holding the foot in the dorsiflexed position and training to run/drive thru the hips is the right principle, doing it on a stability ball does nothing except work on anke/foot strength. They are harping on the "developing speed" comment made....

So in case most of you didnt know by now- speed/strength coaches are ****s no matter how you slice it. Everyone believes they are right, no matter how slight the disagreement LOL

Is there value in what is shown in this clip? Absolutely....

Is his statement a bit misleading? Absolutely

Doesnt make this drill any less valuable, especially when you are trying to train big guys on proper mechanics while marrying it to important sport-specific training (balance, mobility, coordination are key concepts in football)

Who followed Oregon closely and can comment on how they looked from a S&C standpoint? Did the kids make big improvements under Feld?

People pay attention to this? Instead of explaining the issues at hand by someone not even coaching in the same sport, he just goes "Dude sucks" and thats it.

Sounds like a 12-year-old being salty that someones favourite playee just beat their team on its own.
Totally ok with you suck, die! die! die! but you better be able to provide the ENTIRE context, not just cherry pick and parse, and bring specific examples of why this or that is better/right.

Other than that, you are just a monkey banging on a cage.

Advertisement
There are many ways to get things done and each of one these guys thinks their way is the only way
Pretty much what I took away. I’m far from being an S&C expert but it seems like all of these guys think their way is the only way in a discipline that probably has multiple means to the same end goal.

My impression:

S&C coaches.....lifting in general (bodybuilders, powerlifters, etc).......is a dik swinging contest to show who's the best and why "my" techniques work best.

During my time, i trained with football players, bodybuilders, powerlifters, weekend warriors, personal trainers, etc (some natural, some on roids) and i could tell you stories upon stories on the "proper ways" of doing things, many of which conflict.

I had a bodybuilder show me horrible technique on leg press, to get the extra stretch......putting excess curvature and pressure on the lower spine.
I had a powerlifter show me horrible technique on a bench bc all they cared about is weight, not form (their bench shirt forces them into better form during competition).
And the football players? Some chose to workout with us on their off days bc they weren't getting enough gains from their regular S&C routines.

Every person and every situation is different.

Are you some nobody strength coach for a sport that nobody in America plays besides fat frat boys? Do you want to make a name for yourself on social media? Would you like to have a bunch of football fans who otherwise would have no idea who you are talk about you? Well, call out the most recognizable strength coach in college football who also happens to have a rather sizable social media following!

This whole thing reeks of ****** white guy rappers calling out Eminem because it guarantees them 15 minutes of fame.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Track coach here....the notion of standing on a stability ball making you faster is what they are harping on. While holding the foot in the dorsiflexed position and training to run/drive thru the hips is the right principle, doing it on a stability ball does nothing except work on anke/foot strength. They are harping on the "developing speed" comment made....

So in case most of you didnt know by now- speed/strength coaches are ****s no matter how you slice it. Everyone believes they are right, no matter how slight the disagreement LOL

Doesnt make this drill any less valuable, especially when you are trying to train big guys on proper mechanics while marrying it to important sport-specific training (balance, mobility, coordination are key concepts in football)
This is so accurate.

My impression:

S&C coaches.....lifting in general (bodybuilders, powerlifters, etc).......is a dik swinging contest to show who's the best and why "my" techniques work best.

During my time, i trained with football players, bodybuilders, powerlifters, weekend warriors, personal trainers, etc (some natural, some on roids) and i could tell you stories upon stories on the "proper ways" of doing things, many of which conflict.

I had a bodybuilder show me horrible technique on leg press, to get the extra stretch......putting excess curvature and pressure on the lower spine.
I had a powerlifter show me horrible technique on a bench bc all they cared about is weight, not form (their bench shirt forces them into better form during competition).
And the football players? Some chose to workout with us on their off days bc they weren't getting enough gains from their regular S&C routines.

Every person and every situation is different.
And this is too ☝🏻

Charlie Francis is one of the best speed coach of all time and people **** on him. Lot of dip****s who want to think their methods are responsible for genetic monsters.

Advertisement
This is another huge point!!!! If your athletes are healthy and have strong technique, being at a deficit on strength can be mitigated. You see it all the time. My anecdotal experience is in martial arts and bjj. Certainly it's consistent across sports.
As someone who has done BJJ and other MAs for decades. While also playing football for many years. Strong technique in MMA is a significantly bigger factor than it is in blocking/getting off the block. You could take the weakest 66kg ADCC worlds competitor and he would mop the floor with a 400lb world strongest man winner. But you could take the most technical small guy in the world like Alex Mirabel and he is not going to be able to block a 330lb explosive freak, who has poor technique.

Also, If you tell someone "This is going to help your ankle stability" they may not go as hard as if you said "this is going to make you faster". It may be misleading but when your dealing with kids I guess you have to try different motivation techniques in the weightroom.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back