A quote from Jimmy Johnson to remember.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26015
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26015

While recording his "A Football Life", HoF HC Jimmy Johnson described the Herschel Walker trade that ignited the dynasty of the Dallas Cowboys by saying the following:

"The key is not getting those draft picks. The key is getting good players with those draft picks."

This applies here. We used to have great recruiting classes and we didnt do **** with those. Those fancy star ratings do not mean everything. Our best player just opted out of the college football season and is still projected to be a first round pick. The man was a 3-star-recruit. D´eriq King was one too. So was Quincy Roche.

We have to develop the talent that we have. We can recruit, we have overperformed in that department but we have to develop the talent, start winning and start winning consistenly. The only way we can turn this program around is by winning and developing. Its what Clemson has done, its what Alabama has done, heck, its what we have done.

Advertisement
Add in Greg Rosseau, man was also a 3 star. We have some high upside kids in this class and on our roster ready to break out. We have some of the best coaches in the business to get them ready too. These last few years haven't been kind to us in getting guys taken high in the draft. That should change for the better very soon, and it will lead to success that we haven't had in a while.

While recording his "A Football Life", HoF HC Jimmy Johnson described the Herschel Walker trade that ignited the dynasty of the Dallas Cowboys by saying the following:

"The key is not getting those draft picks. The key is getting good players with those draft picks."

This applies here. We used to have great recruiting classes and we didnt do **** with those. Those fancy star ratings do not mean everything. Our best player just opted out of the college football season and is still projected to be a first round pick. The man was a 3-star-recruit. D´eriq King was one too. So was Quincy Roche.

We have to develop the talent that we have. We can recruit, we have overperformed in that department but we have to develop the talent, start winning and start winning consistenly. The only way we can turn this program around is by winning and developing. Its what Clemson has done, its what Alabama has done, heck, its what we have done.
Different day, different time...that’s why I didn’t want to go backwards and hire a newbie head coach. That said, he had made HUGE strides this off season. He is lucky IMO that the season may be cancelled...but these kids SHOULD want to play 4 this staff..they get it

Advertisement
Coaches have to trust their evals and not follow the recruiting sites. Lots of great players and depth in SFL.
Trust it, get your high national guys (i.e., high 4 and 5 stars.) but get the other ones as well with your trusted eyes, like Troutman, Brantley and Smith.
While UF has the higher rated class, I would take ours over theirs. Ours is well balanced this year and strong is the right spots.

Going to CB recruiting, when you play press man, you need safeties that can tackle and cover, while the CBs typically just harass the receivers.
With that being said, man coverage, makes tight windows and you look for incompletions or bat downs, more then picks.
That's why safety recruiting has to be wayyyy stronger then CB recruiting. They are trusting their system and evals and going form there. Patience is tough but that hill is tough to climb in Miami but were there and when we are there, man its beautiful, That ND game was one of the most beautiful thing I've seen in sports.

Coaches have to trust their evals and not follow the recruiting sites. Lots of great players and depth in SFL.
Trust it, get your high national guys (i.e., high 4 and 5 stars.) but get the other ones as well with your trusted eyes, like Troutman, Brantley and Smith.
While UF has the higher rated class, I would take ours over theirs. Ours is well balanced this year and strong is the right spots.

Going to CB recruiting, when you play press man, you need safeties that can tackle and cover, while the CBs typically just harass the receivers.
With that being said, man coverage, makes tight windows and you look for incompletions or bat downs, more then picks.
That's why safety recruiting has to be wayyyy stronger then CB recruiting. They are trusting their system and evals and going form there. Patience is tough but that hill is tough to climb in Miami but were there and when we are there, man its beautiful, That ND game was one of the most beautiful thing I've seen in sports.
We have to get the dog mentality on defense translated to the offense, especially the offensive line. They have to tell the opposition that they are going to kick their ***, then kick their *** and tell them how they kicked their ***.

There has to be more asskicking. We need 5 Red Foremans.

Something else JJ said back in the day, related to recruiting, “You can either come here and win for 4 years, or go somewhere else and get beat by us for 4 years”. If we can ever get back to consistent winning, the rest will take care of itself.

Jimmy’s point was about EVALUATIONS.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
1597156816352.png

I can make a decent meal out of a select sirloin, but if I can pick out a prime ribeye, I know it will be great.

How did you arrive

How did you arrive at your conclusion that UM has "over-performed" in recruiting, what is that based off of. This team was definitely not that athletic before coach richt got here, definitely was under performing in recruiting the proper Miami caliber athlete's on the defensive side of the ball, particularly in the front 7. Whenever someone starts running primarily zone defensive schemes, be it football or basketball, it means that organization feels or knows that the opponent is either more athletic or has a player they can't stop, either way it's not Miami style!

Advertisement
Back