A Nightmare

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
Warning: Long Post

Another year, another UM team inventing embarrassing ways to lose.

This will be my last post for a while, as I believe it’s time to unplug. It’s taken 20+ years of fandom, but the way we lost this game was the final nail in the coffin. Last night was a fricken nightmare — there is no other way to describe it. So, before I take a much needed break from UM football, I needed to vent quickly:

— When your favorite CFB team loses, it’s always a horrible feeling, especially when you lose in that fashion being favored by 20 points. Unlike the NFL, one loss can set your team back for YEARS. This was one of those losses. All the momentum Mario was building is completely gone. None of the recruits in the stands who witnessed that abomination are going to give us another chance. And to top it off, the entire CFB media apparatus is using us as a punching bag this morning, so why would anyone in their right mind show “The U” any love? We’re back to being a joke.

— There were so many coaching blunders last night that I’m not sure where to begin. I guess I’ll just stick with the fact that TVD hiking the ball with 6 seconds left on the play clock multiple times ended up coming back to bite us. But more importantly, I can’t understand why a dude making over 8 million a year — empowered by a staff of at least 20 others — were not smart enough to take a knee. That sequence infuriated me, but you want to know why it cuts even deeper for me than maybe even some of you? Please allow me to explain:

I coach JV football in New York. We had a game yesterday morning against a team who was supposed to beat us, but we battled hard and ended up winning the game. I coach running backs on offense and my backs were **** near giving me a heart attack due to the lack of ball security, especially because it was raining hard for most of the second half. The other team kept trying to strip the ball from my backs since the game was basically over. We needed one first down to exhaust their timeouts and we got it. With approximately 1 min left to go, our OC signaled in the play. I was talking to my back who just ran off the field so I didn’t have a chance to say anything until our guys were already breaking the huddle. I turned to both our HC and OC and said, “why are we running it?? Just call a timeout and go victory formation.” The HC listened to me and the rest was history. The point of this story was not to toot my own horn, but if a guy who makes a few grand coaching JV football in NY has the foresight to realize that’s the right call, then how does a staff that makes collectively close to 15 million not figure that out? It’s mind boggling.

I was so angry last night because I coached through the exact sequence on the SAME day as my Canes. My JV football team figured it out, but my Canes did not. So disheartening. Love y’all. Try to focus on things other than football — it’s healthier for your emotional state.

Advertisement
first time GIF

Going to ask a favor to the Mods. I don't have the willpower to quit on this team, as much as I want to. Please put me on ban until our next W. I am spending too much time on this site trying to cope with being a Canes fan and it just makes me more and more depressed. Like @Memnon and @gogeta4 I warned everyone about Cristobal when he was hired and said Kiffin was a much better choice. I was accused of being a jilted Ducks fan and a UM hater. It is a curse to always be right about things (and btw you all know l am also right about conference realignment and Rad wanting to save the ACC instead of prioritizing moving to another conference, but we're depressed enough as it is.)

I'm [BGCOLOR=initial]so close to rock bottom that I'm tempted to post some D! ck pics and force your hand, but I'd rather it not come to that.[/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement
I was going to make a post like this but you covered it. The HC is making $8,000,000 a year.

How can he be so inept to not know football 101.
Part time JV coaches in SFL know what to do in that situation. 12 year old me playing madden knew what to do in that situation.

This guy makes 8 million dollars a year.

i think everybody in the stands was thinking the same thing. We all knew that Mario is entitled to at least one head scratcher. Well...here it is! It was my fault though. The football gods revel in my misery. I was starting to believe...

Advertisement
Back