A name not mentioned Ruffin Mcneill ECU Head Coach

We need some whos a beast on the trail.....we losin to many elite guys. No thanks
He's actually one of the most likeable, energetic guys in football. I think closing players and parents in South Florida would be a great strength of his.

I quoted you but I'm actually responding more to Dwinstitles. Honestly, I don't care if our head coach is a beast on the recruiting trail. Let him get some **** assistant coaches that are beasts. They do most of the legwork anyway. Plus, let me tell you something. If we get a head coach that knows his **** and has UM playing an exciting brand of football, we'll be more than ok. Look across college football and the NFL and while you will see the obvious studs from South Florida, you'll also see guys that have you thinking, "where in the **** did he come from?" There is enough talent in South Florida that if UM has a head coach that can actually freakin coach, we'll be pretty **** good. just my .02

Edit: Just want to clarify that I don't have a clue who the ECU coach is. I'm just speaking in general terms.

A lot of what u guys r saying is good stuff, but sfla recruiting is another animal. Look at AG he just recently adapted to it and it took him four years too. He hasn't recruited well at all with kids leaving that could of helped him this year and last. I'm tired of giving the keys to someone who has done things elsewhere and claiming he's a god, ECU probably takes football serious in there conference so who knows yea they beat some good teams but miami is another animal. We deal with the sec down in sfla and dudes like him ain't ready for the dirty ****. I know what Butch would do.

Miami has been making mistakes of recruiting athletes that can't play football, Butch sees kids and sees things that only ole nick Saban can see. I trust he will surround himself with good character staff and guys that do great on the X's and O's. He already knows how sfla works, we can't afford to wait till the new coach gets used to it. We will fall further down if we start from scratch, get Butch period it's the easiest and smartest thing to do. I don't trust anybody else because the administration will handcuff them.

Just so we're clear, I'd love to have Butch Davis. I'm just saying that the monster recruiter stuff sounds good (talking about others and not Butch) but then when <insert coach> doesn't utilize the talent then what? Give me a guy that knows what the **** he's doing X & O wise, and most likely all of a sudden he'll be labeled as a good recruiter. Want to know why? It's because people will want to play for him because of his style. Gus Malzahn is a geek, but now kids all of a sudden love him. it ain't because he's a good recruiter. It's because they want to play for that guy because he's a **** good coach,and his product on the field makes kids gobble up everything that he's selling. Put him in South Florida and that guy would KILL IT. The reality is even if we lose what we know today as the elite guys, there are other guys down here that emerge after the fact. it's just so much **** talent in South Florida that if we get a guy that knows his side of the ball (whether it be offense or defense), I truly believe everything will fall into place.

So again, just to clarify. I'm in favor of Butch Davis. However, if we can't get Butch, then what "monster recruiter" do we have a realistic shot with? Give me the guy that's known as a "monster offensive coordinator" and watch how all of a sudden we don't have a problem keeping the Cook's, Michel's, and Cooper"s of the world. Add that to the underrated guys, and look out.

Maybe your right but I'm not willing to take that chance. I guess Like I said I do not trust this admin to make a good hire so if it's anyone other than Butch it's going to be a wait and see for me. I do believe in about four to five weeks these guys will be gone.

Advertisement
I cannot believe people on this board seriously would consider Ruffin McNeill. This guy is a career position coach, whose 55, whose 2 years as a DC produced the 80th and 49th ranked defenses, and who has produced the same results that Skip Holtz did at ECU, without having to build it from mediocrity.

Holtz actually built up ECU into what it is today. They were 3-20 the 2 years prior to him taking over in 2005. Then went 5-6, 7-6, 8-5, 9-5, 9-5.

Ruffin took over when Holtz left for USF and has gone 6-7, 5-7, 8-5, 10-3.

Ruffin's 1st 4 years (29-22) were worse then Holtz's last 4 (33-21). Holtz had 2 East Conf USA titles, Ruffin has 1 tie.

Not saying I'd consider him, just saying he hasn't gotten blow out this year by better competition.

I'm in on Butch or Kliff.

I cannot believe people on this board seriously would consider Ruffin McNeill. This guy is a career position coach, whose 55, whose 2 years as a DC produced the 80th and 49th ranked defenses, and who has produced the same results that Skip Holtz did at ECU, without having to build it from mediocrity.

Holtz actually built up ECU into what it is today. They were 3-20 the 2 years prior to him taking over in 2005. Then went 5-6, 7-6, 8-5, 9-5, 9-5.

Ruffin's 1st 4 years (29-22) were worse then Holtz's last 4 (33-21). Holtz had 2 East Conf USA titles, Ruffin has 1 tie.

Not saying I'd consider him, just saying he hasn't gotten blow out this year by better competition.

True but Golden and D'O are literally the most passive coaches I've ever seen so I really do think just about anyone would be better. That said, there are probably 50 better candidates then McNeill. I'd imagine someone in that 50 would take the job.

He's actually one of the most likeable, energetic guys in football. I think closing players and parents in South Florida would be a great strength of his.

I quoted you but I'm actually responding more to Dwinstitles. Honestly, I don't care if our head coach is a beast on the recruiting trail. Let him get some **** assistant coaches that are beasts. They do most of the legwork anyway. Plus, let me tell you something. If we get a head coach that knows his **** and has UM playing an exciting brand of football, we'll be more than ok. Look across college football and the NFL and while you will see the obvious studs from South Florida, you'll also see guys that have you thinking, "where in the **** did he come from?" There is enough talent in South Florida that if UM has a head coach that can actually freakin coach, we'll be pretty **** good. just my .02

Edit: Just want to clarify that I don't have a clue who the ECU coach is. I'm just speaking in general terms.

A lot of what u guys r saying is good stuff, but sfla recruiting is another animal. Look at AG he just recently adapted to it and it took him four years too. He hasn't recruited well at all with kids leaving that could of helped him this year and last. I'm tired of giving the keys to someone who has done things elsewhere and claiming he's a god, ECU probably takes football serious in there conference so who knows yea they beat some good teams but miami is another animal. We deal with the sec down in sfla and dudes like him ain't ready for the dirty ****. I know what Butch would do.

Miami has been making mistakes of recruiting athletes that can't play football, Butch sees kids and sees things that only ole nick Saban can see. I trust he will surround himself with good character staff and guys that do great on the X's and O's. He already knows how sfla works, we can't afford to wait till the new coach gets used to it. We will fall further down if we start from scratch, get Butch period it's the easiest and smartest thing to do. I don't trust anybody else because the administration will handcuff them.

Just so we're clear, I'd love to have Butch Davis. I'm just saying that the monster recruiter stuff sounds good (talking about others and not Butch) but then when <insert coach> doesn't utilize the talent then what? Give me a guy that knows what the **** he's doing X & O wise, and most likely all of a sudden he'll be labeled as a good recruiter. Want to know why? It's because people will want to play for him because of his style. Gus Malzahn is a geek, but now kids all of a sudden love him. it ain't because he's a good recruiter. It's because they want to play for that guy because he's a **** good coach,and his product on the field makes kids gobble up everything that he's selling. Put him in South Florida and that guy would KILL IT. The reality is even if we lose what we know today as the elite guys, there are other guys down here that emerge after the fact. it's just so much **** talent in South Florida that if we get a guy that knows his side of the ball (whether it be offense or defense), I truly believe everything will fall into place.

So again, just to clarify. I'm in favor of Butch Davis. However, if we can't get Butch, then what "monster recruiter" do we have a realistic shot with? Give me the guy that's known as a "monster offensive coordinator" and watch how all of a sudden we don't have a problem keeping the Cook's, Michel's, and Cooper"s of the world. Add that to the underrated guys, and look out.

Maybe your right but I'm not willing to take that chance. I guess Like I said I do not trust this admin to make a good hire so if it's anyone other than Butch it's going to be a wait and see for me. I do believe in about four to five weeks these guys will be gone.

I'd rather not take the chance either. However, if they do, I just do not want our new head coach to be a guy that's just known as a recruiter. I've always been a person that said that I want my head coach to be outstanding at whatever his side of the ball is. Doesn't guarantee anything (see gene Chizik), but that's what I prefer. At any rate, I hope like **** that they hire Butch.

True but Golden and D'O are literally the most passive coaches I've ever seen so I really do think just about anyone would be better. That said, there are probably 50 better candidates then McNeill. I'd imagine someone in that 50 would take the job.

By passive you mean scared.

Advertisement

By passive you mean scared.

Yes.

I'd rather not take the chance either. However, if they do, I just do not want our new head coach to be a guy that's just known as a recruiter. I've always been a person that said that I want my head coach to be outstanding at whatever his side of the ball is. Doesn't guarantee anything (see gene Chizik), but that's what I prefer. At any rate, I hope like **** that they hire Butch.

I just want Butch because I know if u field a great d at UM that's a guaranteed ACC championship and kids will come just with that. I know that man would create a devastating defense that would be on par with Fsu right now and become better than what they have. That's how Jimbo survived his first three years was recruiting and that defense helped him win ACC championships quick. I think by year one we would be a whole different defense and in his third season the machine would start to roll.

If you guys are so concerned with wanting someone whos familiar with the area while also being "proven".. How about Doc Holliday at Marshall

Advertisement
Would you guys prefer a "monster DC" as HC or "monster OC" as coach?

How about a monster HC as coach? Someone who can hire a competent staff. And, by "competent" I mean something a whole lot better than middle of the pack ACC.

i don't think that kliff is going anywhere unless the nfl comes calling.

ByArJThIMAAv6DW.jpg

Hope ruff and the boys don't go but he would be a slam dunk hire. When he was at Texas Tech he was considered one of the best recruiters in the country.

Advertisement
Hope ruff and the boys don't go but he would be a slam dunk hire. When he was at Texas Tech he was considered one of the best recruiters in the country.

Who cares? I want a head coach who can coach. Not a head coach who can recruit and is a corch.

Advertisement
Back