A Little Roscoe Parrish Down Memory Lane Love For CIS

4B114EBC-A9DE-4061-9060-006884C1196A.jpeg

Advertisement
Roscoe was legit. I wish we had a Roscoe on this team right now! I don't think he got the love he deserved at the time due to the players that came before him. I remember a caller on Sedano's radio show back then saying he was a "poor man's version of Santana Moss" LMBO!!! I remember feeling the same about Brock. Little did we know how bad things were going to get for over a decade. It was unfair to compare those guys to literally the best squad of college players ever amassed on a single team. I'm glad we can look back now and appreciate those guys, and in many ways it looks like our program is finally headed in a positive direction, at least towards relevancy. GO CANES!!

Miami has always had a short, small, twitchy, explosive WR that could provide big plays in the kick return game, screen game, short passing game...or at the very least...take the top off a defense. Santana Moss, Roscoe Parrish, Phillip Dorsett, Sinorice Moss...even Travis Benjamin or Theron Collier.

One of the biggest failures of the last few regimes was the complete ineptitude at recruiting kids like this. Completely ignoring them cause they're "too small". Then these kids go to other programs and do exactly what guys like Parrish did here. SMH

Like...how the **** do you take the Miami job...and not know enough about our history and recruiting ground to understand that YOU HAVE TO THROW SIZE OUT OF THE WINDOW AND RECRUIT LOCAL KIDS LIKE THIS?!?!

And that's a big part of the reason that we have lost our speed advantage over the years. We're no longer explosive across our roster, and our decline in big special teams plays SHOWS THAT. We used to ROUTINELY block punts and return kicks for touchdowns. Like EVERY freakin year. We always had a kid come in here and provide explosive plays on special teams, and when he left we replaced him with another one. We did this for like 20 years straight! Shoot, I remember years ago it was THE ONLY REASON we were still in the Ohio State game! Miller and Benjamin had return touchdowns! That used to be an edge we had over any other team in the country.

Special teams is 1/3 of the game that we have sucked on for far too long and it's 100% on recruiting.

Miami has always had a short, small, twitchy, explosive WR that could provide big plays in the kick return game, screen game, short passing game...or at the very least...take the top off a defense. Santana Moss, Roscoe Parrish, Phillip Dorsett, Sinorice Moss...even Travis Benjamin or Theron Collier.

One of the biggest failures of the last few regimes was the complete ineptitude at recruiting kids like this. Completely ignoring them cause they're "too small". Then these kids go to other programs and do exactly what guys like Parrish did here. SMH

Like...how the **** do you take the Miami job...and not know enough about our history and recruiting ground to understand that YOU HAVE TO THROW SIZE OUT OF THE WINDOW AND RECRUIT LOCAL KIDS LIKE THIS?!?!

And that's a big part of the reason that we have lost our speed advantage over the years. We're no longer explosive across our roster, and our decline in big special teams plays SHOWS THAT. We used to ROUTINELY block punts and return kicks for touchdowns. Like EVERY freakin year. We always had a kid come in here and provide explosive plays on special teams, and when he left we replaced him with another one. We did this for like 20 years straight! Shoot, I remember years ago it was THE ONLY REASON we were still in the Ohio State game! Miller and Benjamin had return touchdowns! That used to be an edge we had over any other team in the country.

Special teams is 1/3 of the game that we have sucked on for far too long and it's 100% on recruiting.
@Coach Macho ...you can actually go back to Eddie Brown & Stanley Shakespeare.....although they weren't 5'8 or 5'9....they both were only 5'11 and 180lbs at best....

Advertisement
Thats what happened.

Roscoe was about 145-150pds in high school....the most similar player to him recently was Tu Tu Atwell who i was ectremely frustrated we didnt recruit. Both played qb in high school and did major things in dade.

Roscoe got the offer after Butch left.,..him and his homie Frank Gore were headed to Ole Miss
I'd throw in Isaiah McKenzie in the mix with these type of guys I was ****ed we missed on.

Roscoe was a big time playmaker here. I think when these small guys don't do much in the NFL people have a tendency to forget how impactful they are/can be at the college level.

Yeah we were with 5:19 left in the 4th. Dorsey threw a 20 yard bullet down the seam to Parrish and Roscoe fumbled the ball. We would've had the ball on OSU 24yard line 1st and 10. At the very least we would've tied it right then.

That night was a self inflicting disaster.

The OL played like ***.
Taylor getting stripped.
Roscoe fumbling
Glenn Sharpe playing on the most important drive in the biggest game. People complain about Gore not playing in the end but Sharp playing was the biggest crime. Krenzel had less than 100 yard passing in regulation and 33% completions but Sharp made it easy for him to make completion because he wasn't good enough to be playing.
100% agree. We just killed ourselves over and over.

Hate to pile on Sharpe - but giving up the 17 yd pass on 4th & 14 just a couple plays before the PI in OT has always been the real killer to me.

Game should've been over right there. They had 1 play all game that went for over 12 yds before that. It's still so painful.

Yeah we were with 5:19 left in the 4th. Dorsey threw a 20 yard bullet down the seam to Parrish and Roscoe fumbled the ball. We would've had the ball on OSU 24yard line 1st and 10. At the very least we would've tied it right then.

That night was a self inflicting disaster.

The OL played like ***.
Taylor getting stripped.
Roscoe fumbling
Glenn Sharpe playing on the most important drive in the biggest game. People complain about Gore not playing in the end but Sharp playing was the biggest crime. Krenzel had less than 100 yard passing in regulation and 33% completions but Sharp made it easy for him to make completion because he wasn't good enough to be playing.
The biggest reason we lost that game is because we got whipped up front by their DL

Braxton Berrios wasn't a local kid per se but he definitely was an undersized baller for us. Harley didn't pan out as expected, but he's been getting better and the jury is still out on him.

Advertisement

1623876136359.png

Braxton Berrios wasn't a local kid per se but he definitely was an undersized baller for us. Harley didn't pan out as expected, but he's been getting better and the jury is still out on him.

He didn't provide what Parrish/Moss/Benjamin/Dorsett/Sinorice/etc provided.
Berrios was a possession WR with scat-WR size. He didn't run like those former guys.
He wasn't a danger to get deep and he was simply reliable in the PR game, not dangerous.

The guy we should've offered instead (Isaiah McKenzie) was THAT guy.

Actually...Berrios, although he was good here during his last year, is a microcosm of our recruiting failures at this position.
There was a much more explosive guy RIGHT IN OUR BACKYARD that played the same position but he was "smaller" and "less polished".
Kid went to UGA, gave them exactly what we've been missing for years, and now he's in the NFL putting-up 3 touchdown performances against the Miami Dolphins.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know he had a bunch of highlights, but we aren’t even in a position to tie the 2002 National Championship at the end of regulation without his unbelievably clutch punt return.
Tie? He put us in position to win. OSU couldn't stop Kellen Winslow, but Clappy wanted to run the ball, so he got scared and played not to lose and settled for overtime.

Dammit mane... Me and my homeboys was just talking about Roscoe last night.. Didn't he do some stupid chit like buy a 300k Bentley on a rookie salary.

Advertisement
Back