A little less violence, and a little more situational awaren

Status
Not open for further replies.

HInquisitor

Band
Banned
awareness*

In watching the game over, the overall energy and aggression is apparent. Manny has these boys getting after it. This is a good start. But some things stood out that are worth noting:

1. There's definitely a lot of subbing going on. I noticed it before against lesser opponents, which is fine. But against FSU, it was too much. On Dalvin's big run, 2nd team LBers were in. You could clearly see Mike Smith over pursue, and Cook slipped him easily. Now, Shaq could have done the same thing... Idk... But I think you gotta ride with your starters against elite opponents, until fatigue forces you to sub.

2. Safety play is a liability. On Cook's wheel route catch and score, Carter is single high. He bites hard on play-action, takes himself out of position, and Cook is wide open down the side line. He can't make this mistake. There are many other examples in previous games where Carter and Jenkins are slow to diagnose and react, especially playing the pass.

3. A lack of situational awareness and playmaking in critical moments. In the first half, FSU had nothing going except for Cook's big run. The second half was a different story. All of a sudden, we started giving up first down after first down. Little by little they took control. Even when we had them in 3rd and long, they would convert and keep drives going. We were never able to make the play to stop their momentum, which ultimately led to them taking the lead for good.

Obviously the offense did nothing to help, but it is clear that this team doesn't know how to win. And why would they. The aggression and violence is great, but it needs to be paired with smart, sound defense in critical moments, if it's going translate into wins against real opponents.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I never want to hear, "a little less violence" in regards to our defense.

Great post. Especially agree with not knowing how to win. You can just tell that our guys are hoping to win. They dont have that quiet confidence that they will execute and put the game away when the time comes.

Advertisement
Even if it gives you a better chance to win?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't think how violent we're playing has anything to do with why FSU finally started to move the ball some. They just wore us out. The mass subbing has helped us this year. I was actually surprised by our tackling in the 4th (on Cook) given how tired the guys must've been.

This is the best I've seen our defense since 2005. I have zero complaints about the D. We lost our top 3 tacklers (2 of which were NFL guys) and we have mediocre backups and secondary guys. Yet we're still dominating. The D looked so good against FSU I can't stress that enough. Dalvin was gonna get his - everyone knew that. He's the best RB in CFB, and we aren't quite there yet physically or with depth.

Great post. Especially agree with not knowing how to win. You can just tell that our guys are hoping to win. They dont have that quiet confidence that they will execute and put the game away when the time comes.
This is exactly what FSU has on us. They know and believe they will beat us. Everytime.

Advertisement

I don't think how violent we're playing has anything to do with why FSU finally started to move the ball some. They just wore us out. The mass subbing has helped us this year. I was actually surprised by our tackling in the 4th (on Cook) given how tired the guys must've been.

This is the best I've seen our defense since 2005. I have zero complaints about the D. We lost our top 3 tacklers (2 of which were NFL guys) and we have mediocre backups and secondary guys. Yet we're still dominating. The D looked so good against FSU I can't stress that enough. Dalvin was gonna get his - everyone knew that. He's the best RB in CFB, and we aren't quite there yet physically or with depth.
I'm not really saying don't be violent. It just needs to be directed better in certain key situations. You still have to pick your spots, and turn it up at critical times.

Op is just saying play violent but smart. He's right. That's exactly how our old school dominating defenses played.

awareness*

In watching the game over, the overall energy and aggression is apparent. Manny has these boys getting after it. This is a good start. But some things stood out that are worth noting:

1. There's definitely a lot of subbing going on. I noticed it before against lesser opponents, which is fine. But against FSU, it was too much. On Dalvin's big run, 2nd team LBers were in. You could clearly see Mike Smith over pursue, and Cook slipped him easily. Now, Shaq could have done the same thing... Idk... But I think you gotta ride with your starters against elite opponents, until fatigue forces you to sub.

2. Safety play is a liability. On Cook's wheel route catch and score, Carter is single high. He bites hard on play-action, takes himself out of position, and Cook is wide open down the side line. He can't make this mistake. There are many other examples in previous games where Carter and Jenkins are slow to diagnose and react, especially playing the pass.

3. A lack of situational awareness and playmaking in critical moments. In the first half, FSU had nothing going except for Cook's big run. The second half was a different story. All of a sudden, we started giving up first down after first down. Little by little they took control. Even when we had them in 3rd and long, they would convert and keep drives going. We were never able to make the play to stop their momentum, which ultimately led to them taking the lead for good.

Obviously the offense did nothing to help, but it is clear that this team doesn't know how to win. And why would they. The aggression and violence is great, but it needs to be paired with smart, sound defense in critical moments, if it's going translate into wins against real opponents.

S T F U!

QnF7zdtDsXmg.gif

Advertisement
awareness*

S T F U!

View attachment 39529

Tell him again!!!

awareness*

S T F U!

View attachment 39529

Tell him again!!!

OK

awareness*

S T F U!

View attachment 39529

Advertisement

You haven't proven that less violence gives us a better chance to win.
I can make a case for it. Winning in football is about making plays that lead to scoring, or in the case of defense, making plays that lead to scoring or prevent scoring.

So, defensively the goal is create turnovers by forcing fumbles or intercepting passes, tackling or breaking up passes to prevent 1st downs.

So, my point is that although violence may be a part of making a play, if you only focus on violence, you miss the point of football...which is to make plays to win the game.

My argument is if more focus is put on doing the things to make plays, and less on being violent just to be violent, you have a better chance to win.

I like the mass subbing. Bottom line is we are paper thin on this defense and it's loaded with some guys with marginal talent and no experience. Manny might not be able to make them all great players but he can make them all experienced players.

We are 1 injury away from any one of these guys seeing major playing time.

Also in order to play fast and physical you have to be a close to fresh as possible from an energy perspective and the rotating is what allowed even a worn down unit to not completely shut down in the 4th.

I can make a case for it. Winning in football is about making plays that lead to scoring, or in the case of defense, making plays that lead to scoring or prevent scoring.

So, defensively the goal is create turnovers by forcing fumbles or intercepting passes, tackling or breaking up passes to prevent 1st downs.

So, my point is that although violence may be a part of making a play, if you only focus on violence, you miss the point of football...which is to make plays to win the game.

My argument is if more focus is put on doing the things to make plays, and less on being violent just to be violent, you have a better chance to win.

Your case is for more situational awareness, which is a good case. The violence level has nothing to do with that.

You can be a total pvssy and lack situational awareness. Conversely, you can be savage killer with tremendous situational awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back