A Legitimate case for AT LEAST the top 15....

soysoy05

Sophomore
Was so excited with the Duke win that I wanted to see how far (or at least have the chance) we would jump in the polls. Either that, or I'm that bored in Operations Management. Have not been that excited at a sporting event in my recent memory. Was going to go through 15-25, but I really didn't see many teams there that could even make a point at why they should be ranked higher than us, so I went to 10. Obviously, this is contingent on us beating FSU.

I'd be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts, comments or opinions not just on us, but other teams as well. May want to read from the bottom up, may make more sense.

Now we're getting into the UF, Louisville, 'Cuse, Duke part of the poll and it's tough to believe, but we do match up with a select few of them. Miami basketball being talked about in the top 8....WTF

9. Butler Just loss @ LaSalle in a tough environment 54-53 that snapped a 13 game winning streak. Impressive wins over UNC, Marquette, Indiana and Gonzaga. No terrible losses to Xavier, Illinois and LaSalle. RPI of 12 and SOS of 25. I think our 3 losses are no way worse than theirs and our big wins may be bigger. Our RPI and SOS are better, no reason we don't jump Butler, IMO. Remember, they're going to fall pretty heavily with a loss to LaSalle.

10 Gonzaga Only two losses have been to Butler and Illinois, who were each ranked 13 when they played them. Other solid wins against KSU, OK State and Saint Mary's. RPI of 11 and SOS of 10, I'm fine with them being ranked ahead of the 'Canes, they probably deserve it. Personally, I really like this team and wouldn't be shocked to see a final 4 run from them.

11. Kansas State Just lost to Kansas at home which will hurt them, but I can't see them falling too much as their other two losses have come against Gonzaga and Michigan. Solid wins against UF and OK State. Not very good in the ranks of RPI of 31 and SOS of 71. Out of conference schedule has been extremely weak, but they've taken care of business in most games.

12. Minnesota Just loss their third game in a row to a rather average Northwestern team. Minnesota now has 4 losses this year and will fall in the polls. However, Minnesota has a solid RPI of 9 and a very impressive SOS of 3. Besides Northwestern, they loss to Indiana, Michigan and Duke, all very solid. Prime example of where our 2 losses are going to kill us.

13. Sparty Well, we beat them. But they have some very impressive wins against Kansas and OSU. Other losses were to UConn and Minnesota. In first place in the B10 with a 6-1 record. RPI of 13 and SOS of 48. Should be where they are. Certainly could argue we should be ahead of them, but with our losses to FGCU and ISU, Sparty should be ahead of us.

14. Ohio State Only team with 4 losses in the polls except Mizzou, if it wasn't for a victory against Michigan at home, OSU's best win would be against Iowa and maybe Washington. Ohio State boasts a RPI of 23 and a SOS of 39. Really not impressed with their resume that much, I feel like they are living off the Ohio State brand of basketball for the past decade or so. On paper, Miami should easily be ahead of this team.

15. New Mexico A solid record at 17-2, but a lot of close wins against bad teams. Three solid wins against UConn, Cinci and UNLV, but their last two victories were two close 5 points games against Boise State and Colorado State. UNM plays at SDSU on Saturday, so a loss there would throw them near the bottom of the polls. Very, very good SOS and RPI of 6.

16. Oregon Finally a team where you can actually start to at least debate maybe they should be with Miami in the polls. Oregon has now won 8 in a row with some impressive wins against UNLV, UCLA and 'Zona. Their two losses have come against Cincinnati early on in the season and a 3OT loss to UTEP (10-7, 3-1). All alone in the PAC-12 at 6-0. RPI of 18, but a questionable SOS at 90. It starts to get interesting here, 3 losses vs 2. Big wins against 'Zona and Duke. No bad losses by either team, were early. First in their respective conference out of nowhere. See a lot of similarities here, lots of people sleeping on Oregon to make a run.

I truly believe without hesitation we should be ranked above every team so far.

17. Creighton Just lost to a Drake team by 5 in which they beat Drake by 30 16 days ago. This is a very bad loss as Drake is 9-10, wouldn't be shocked to see Creighton fall pretty heavily. Two decent wins against Wisconsin and Arizona State in the beginning of the year. RPI of 30 and SOS of 94, wouldn't be shocked at all if they are unranked.

18. NC State Other than their huge victory against Duke in Raleigh, their top wins would be UMass and UConn. Fell to 15-4 with their loss at Wake Forest Tuesday. WF is one of the weaker teams in the ACC, and with the loss of Maryland last week showed on national television, I would expect NC State to fall out of the polls unless they can dominate UNC in Chapel Hill on Saturday. RPI of 16 and SOS of 23.

19. VCU Personally, I really like this team a lot and all three of their losses came within the first six games to Wichita State, Duke and Mizzou. Have beaten St. Joes, Lehigh and Memphis, while blowing many A-10 teams out of the water. RPI of 28 with a SOS of 62. Interestingly, there BPI is 11. Should be tested when they start to play Charlotte, Xavier, Temple and UMass. A very solid squad, but if you go by the numbers, the wins, the losses and everything else, once again, if we beat FSU, we should pass them in the polls.

20. Wichita St. 18-2 with losses to Evansville and Tennessee. Beat Creighton 5 days ago and VCU in their 2nd game of the season. Have to play Indiana State twice still. No real other notable wins. RPI of 15 and SOS of 77. If we beat FSU, once again there is no reason we should not be above them.

21. Cinci Just loss to 'Cuse on Monday, have 9 days off. Expect for them to fall out of rankings.

22. Mizzou 14-4 2 solid wins vs VCU and Illinois; and all 4 losses against top 30 teams. Play a ****** Vandy this week. If we beat FSU, no reason we shouldn't jump them. DIE FRANK DIE.

23. Ole Miss is 15-2 (losses to Indiana State in OT and Middle Tennessee State) with only big win against Mizzou. Play Tenn and Auburn this week. Should jump regardless of what they do/did.

24. Notre Dame loss to Georgetown. Should jump regardless of what they do/did.

Marquette, Wisconsin and SDSU are probably the next best teams, but obviously no one has had the hype we have had since the last polls came out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back