A King shall lead us (and bail out the defense)....

Advertisement
D'eriq King.... that's my quarterback(in my TO whimper). Nothing more really needs to be said. He willed UM to victory tonight in Raleigh. This is why he came to UM, do stuff like this. No, he isnt a prototype NFL signal caller, but what he is,though, is the consummate college playmaker. In my view, Lashlee understands that for this season, we needs to be a 'throw team' first and then loosen things up later with the run game as teams get tired. And NCST was faking more heart attacks than Fred Sanford tonight. It was obvious what they were doing.

- Mike Harley, lets give him credit, last two weeks, he's been our #1 guy, and making big plays downfield and being tough

- Great to see Cam'RUN!! Harris get on track. Showed good vision and feet tonight and ran hard. Im told he's a hard working kid, I know he got frustrated a couple of weeks ago. Glad to see him get his mojo back.

-- Now, that's the good part, the bad and the ugly was our defense and special teams

-I noted this in the first half, but just how many times are we going to be drawn offsides, or get baited into giving away our blitzes - all the while, the play clock is still at 15 to 20 seconds, where NCState never snapped the ball. That should happen maybe once, before our staff tells our guys to just hold their water. Our football IQ is very low and I suspect our staff doesn't help them out much in that department

- ONce again( and I'll let the board X-and-O gurus really break this down) but there is something very unsound about our defense. Those underneath routes on 3rd down were just excruciating to watch over and over again. Seemed like our guys were clueless in covering the flat.

- Alverage Blades, yeah, I said it. right now, Couch is our best pure cornerback

- Special teams, we had three flags on KO returns. I mean, what else can be said. Also, with a kicker like Borry, just bang the ball out of the endzone every **** time, no need to be cute. Let them have the ball on the 25.

- Roche got baited into a bad personal foul on 3rd down. I'll say this again, Manny Diaz is a swell guy, our guys like him -- but there is no fear of real discipline on this squad which is why they keep committing dumb penalties time and time again.

- Lastly Miami won, but for much of that game, I think we all saw alarming things that went far beyond just not having 2001 talent. I can't be the only one who feels this way. It's great to win, and it was an exciting end. But lets be honest, a King lead us tonight. Without him, this is a lost night at Carter Finley. I really hope my feeling about Manny Diaz is wrong.

But on the bright side, hey, these shootouts are sure more entertaining than those 17-12 slogs of last year.

My observation is we are a poorly coached team. We’re undisciplined and softish.

Go Canes!

I really hope the rest of the year Lashlee ditches the inside-read as the foundation of the offense and goes with the "King-and-Gun' offense, where we just throw it all over on early downs and let King just run around and make plays. This is what we are good at right now, and all our backs and catch the ball, too.

Don't do it to yourself K9. I think we are going to score points on O regardless, but the inside read ain't going nowhere. It's just not my man. Just gonna have to live with it.

The defenses level of energy and enthusiasm just wasn't there till about the last two or three drives of the game. I really wonder if these issues on that side of the ball can just be corrected with superior recruiting...
2001 Miami doesn’t win a championship with Blake Baker as their DC.

Advertisement
Don't do it to yourself K9. I think we are going to score points on O regardless, but the inside read ain't going nowhere. It's just not my man. Just gonna have to live with it.

Which is fine, I get that, it's a part of that offense, but for this season, Im just saying that let King throw on early downs more often( as he has the past two weeks), and then get to inside-read stuff a bit later as the defenses tire. My sense is that Lashlee called some running plays in the 4th, just to run the clock a bit and give the defense a blow. Which Im fine with

But at this level, King is a good passer and Lashlee has shown he can scheme up wide open guys for him to hit.

To me, that's the mark of a good coach, one that can adapt within his system

This board loves to blame the refs, and yeah we get some bad calls. I also understand you want guys to play with an attitude, but those three blocks in the back on KO returns, encroachment penalties, and personal fouls at really bad times, are plain and simple lack of DISCIPLINE penalties. They have killed us in close games for years (King bailed us out last night) and will continue to if they don't find a way to stem the tide.

Advertisement
This board loves to blame the refs, and yeah we get some bad calls. I also understand you want guys to play with an attitude, but those three blocks in the back on KO returns, encroachment penalties, and personal fouls at really bad times, are plain and simple lack of DISCIPLINE penalties. They have killed us in close games for years (King bailed us out last night) and will continue to if they don't find a way to stem the tide.

There came a point where I was just hoping to take touchbacks on KOs because Id rather have the ball on the 25 rather than get backed up after the inevitable penalty. I can't remember a time when a team had 3 flags on KO returns

Advertisement
Back