A History Lesson

423Hurricane

I’m Well On My Way
Premium
Let me preface by saying I hate losing. I hate losing more than I love winning. The current state of our Canes grates at my very soul. I've been a fan since 1967. I became a fan not because of championships. Not because of All American players. Not because of the "U" brand. I became a fan of the University of Miami because it was my hometown team.

Many of you became fans during the glory years. I'm not pointing fingers at you or calling you out. That's just your lot in life as it was for me in 1967. I don't blame you for becoming fans of the "U' at that time with all the winning, the "U" brand, the swagger, the big time players.

That being said, I can't emphasize this enough - without Howard Scnellenberger, there would be no national championships. There would be no Jimmy Johnson. There would be no Dennis Erickson. There would be know Butch Davis. Etc., etc., etc.

Howard took a program that was a small independent downtrodden doormat; one that was seriously considering doing away with the football program in the mid 70's, and transformed it into a national champion. There were no facilities to speak of. There were no multi-million dollar budgets and contracts. What Howard did was unprecedented.

I'm going back in time because I see similarities in today's program that I saw before Howard's arrival. Sure CFB is now a national major sporting event that involves billions of dollars. But, the current state of the U football program is at a crossroads similar to that of 1979. The solution then was a visionary HC that was able to overcome all the obstacles he faced. I don't believe it's hyperbolic to say we need another Howard today.

You all have your opinions on the way forward and that's part of being a fan. I truly believe another Howard is what it will take for us to return to national prominence. The obvious issue is there aren't many, if any, Howards out there.

The next few months will be a very pivotal point in the future of Miami Hurricanes football. I sincerely hope the powers that be make intelligent, informed decisions and choices. All us fans can do is continue to be fans and do what fans do - drive the CIS maudes to insanity.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Let me preface by saying I hate losing. I hate losing more than I love winning. The current state of our Canes grates at my very soul. I've been a fan since 1967. I became a fan not because of championships. Not because of All American players. Not because of the "U" brand. I became a fan of the University of Miami because it was my hometown team.

Many of you became fans during the glory years. I'm not pointing fingers at you or calling you out. That's just your lot in life as it was for me in 1967. I don't blame you for becoming fans of the "U' at that time with all the winning, the "U" brand, the swagger, the big time players.

That being said, I can't emphasize this enough - without Howard Scnellenberger, there would be no national championships. There would be no Jimmy Johnson. There would be no Dennis Erickson. There would be know Butch Davis. Etc., etc., etc.

Howard took a program that was a small independent downtrodden doormat; one that was seriously considering doing away with the football program in the mid 70's, and transformed it into a national champion. There were no facilities to speak of. There were no multi-million dollar budgets and contracts. What Howard did was unprecedented.

I'm going back in time because I see similarities in today's program that I saw before Howard's arrival. Sure CFB is now a national major sporting event that involves billions of dollars. But, the current state of the U football program is at a crossroads similar to that of 1979. The solution then was a visionary HC that was able to overcome all the obstacles he faced. I don't believe it's hyperbolic to say we need another Howard today.

You all have your opinions on the way forward and that's part of being a fan. I truly believe another Howard is what it will take for us to return to national prominence. The obvious issue is there aren't many, if any, Howards out there.

The next few months will be a very pivotal point in the future of Miami Hurricanes football. I sincerely hope the powers that be make intelligent, informed decisions and choices. All us fans can do is continue to be fans and do what fans do - drive the CIS maudes to insanity.

Go Canes!
To be Honest...Saban's last class is the most underrated in UM History....It sure helped Howard out immensely....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back