A great example as to who Notre Dame truly is…

Earnest T. Bass

Sophomore
~On November 19, 1966 Notre Dame and Michigan State met in what was called the “Game of the Century”. At game time Notre Dame held a #1 ranking in one poll and a #2 ranking in the other poll. Michigan State held a mirror image ranking as the country’s #2 team in one poll and #1 ranking in the other. Yet, Notre Dame was considered the #1 team in the country.

Michigan State held a 10-0 lead by early in the second quarter. But the Irish came back and tied the game on the first play of the fourth quarter. Then, with 1 minute 10 seconds left on the game clock Notre Dame had a 1st and 10 on its own 30-yard line, needing about 40 yards for a game-winning field goal attempt. But, Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian shockingly chose to run the clock out, not wanting to risk a turnover, preserving the tie and Notre Dame's #1 ranking. The game of the century ended as a smelly 10-10 dud of a tie due to Notre Dame cowardly taking a knee.

For 50 years, Parseghian failingly tried to defend his end-of-the-game white flag surrender, which left many fans feeling disgusted at not having a resolution. College football expert Dan Jenkins led off his article for Sports Illustrated by saying Parseghian chose to "Tie one for the Gipper." Others chided Notre Dame by calling them the "Tying Irish". ~

Notre Dame's Illustrious and storied past has more than a fair amount of hyperbole.

Advertisement
Osborn of Nebraska went for 2 point extra point against us, failed, and he lost championship. If he scored 1 point extra point, tie and Nebraska gets ship. You see, decisions have different consequences. Nd was conservative and obtained ship. Osborn gambled, lost, and we won ship.

Osborn of Nebraska went for 2 point extra point against us, failed, and he lost championship. If he scored 1 point extra point, tie and Nebraska gets ship. You see, decisions have different consequences. Nd was conservative and obtained ship. Osborn gambled, lost, and we won ship.

Kind of a different situation. Nebraska would have been the ONLY undefeated team left, as every other team had lost by the time the bowl dust had settled. That situation back when ND held on for the tie was quite different.

I give TO for having guts, but if winning the national title is indeed the goal, he made a bad decision.

Yes, there was a difference...one coach had a set of balls and the other did not! You can't possibly be a Canes fan, because we are not pansies. By the way, to Osborne's everlasting credit...he knew **** well that if he kicked the extra point it meant a National Championship, but he couldn't live with himself if he backed into the title...he was and is a man...in other words; it's a Canes thing--you wouldn't understand.

If a Miami coach purposely took a tie to preserve his season, he'd be dead to me. Al Golden is held in higher regard to me than Ara Parseghian.

Advertisement

So you are equating going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point for the tie with not even trying to get the game winning field goal because you are scared of a turnover? Don't give me any "that's not what I said" because it is clearly what you are implying. Definitely not the same thing but even if it was at least Osborn won't be remembered as a coward.

That is pretty lame, I will give you that. Still, perhaps an example sometime sooner than say more 51 years ago.

If a Miami coach purposely took a tie to preserve his season, he'd be dead to me. Al Golden is held in higher regard to me than Ara Parseghian.

Can't happen now, so it doesn't matter. However, one of the best games I ever saw ended in a tie. When FSU came back to tie UF after being down by 30+, or whatever it was, it was like they ripped UFs soul out. First tie I ever saw that felt like a win.

Advertisement

Yes, there was a difference...one coach had a set of balls and the other did not! You can't possibly be a Canes fan, because we are not pansies. By the way, to Osborne's everlasting credit...he knew **** well that if he kicked the extra point it meant a National Championship, but he couldn't live with himself if he backed into the title...he was and is a man...in other words; it's a Canes thing--you wouldn't understand.

Osborne was rewarded with 3 titles in the 90's, highlighted by the complete white wash of the gators.

I agree. Jimmy Johnson did the same thing as Tom Osbourne in 88. After the refs stole the football from Gary, we got the ball back and scored a late touchdown. Instead of going for the tie (which most likely would have given us the championship), we went for two and missed it. Our only loss that season.

Even if Nebraska had made the extra point, Miami still would have had enough time to go back ahead.

I agree. Jimmy Johnson did the same thing as Tom Osbourne in 88. After the refs stole the football from Gary, we got the ball back and scored a late touchdown. Instead of going for the tie (which most likely would have given us the championship), we went for two and missed it. Our only loss that season.

And I wish to God we would have tied them, because we'd have killed them in the rematch. Instead, they played a pansy WVU team and won a title. All we've done since then is complain about the bad Gary call. I swear, we would have mauled them in a rematch, and won the title in 88 had we tied them. Or, they would have ducked us, thus giving us the title. Either way is better than what happened.

In 1988 we would have been living to fight another day, and I would have been 100% fine with that. I'm not fine with losing to them at their place because of a horrible call, and them winning a national title because of it.

Advertisement
Tom Osbourne had the stones to go for 2.

I am glad that ties are no longer a part of football.

Funnily enough; the Kansas City tiebreaker is way more fair than NFL's sudden death.

And I wish to God we would have tied them, because we'd have killed them in the rematch. Instead, they played a pansy WVU team and won a title. All we've done since then is complain about the bad Gary call. I swear, we would have mauled them in a rematch, and won the title in 88 had we tied them. Or, they would have ducked us, thus giving us the title. Either way is better than what happened.

In 1988 we would have been living to fight another day, and I would have been 100% fine with that. I'm not fine with losing to them at their place because of a horrible call, and them winning a national title because of it.

We also had something like 6 turnovers in that game off memory.

I don't have a problem with JJ's decision. JJ was a ballsy coach and Miami is a ballsy program. We won our first title over a missed two point conversion. It would have been out character for us to play for the tie.

Advertisement

I don't have a problem with JJ's decision. JJ was a ballsy coach and Miami is a ballsy program. We won our first title over a missed two point conversion. It would have been out character for us to play for the tie.

There could have been a rematch, which makes it very different. If you can get a tie at their place, under those circumstances, you take it. After you tie them, you go public saying you want a rematch and pressure them to play you again, this time at a neutral site.

Like someone else said, we had like 6 turnovers that game. If you can have 6 turnovers and not leave with an L, you might want to take it. On the road, 6 turnovers... yeah, I'd have been fine with a tie and a rematch.

That is pretty lame, I will give you that. Still, perhaps an example sometime sooner than say more 51 years ago.

You either don't know about the history of college football or you don't appreciate it.

Using your logic...I suspect you don't have much use for the National Championship that the Canes won approximately 35 years ago.

That move by Ara is one of college football's most enduring moments and as has been said countless times...he spent 50 years trying to live that decision down and never did.

There could have been a rematch, which makes it very different. If you can get a tie at their place, under those circumstances, you take it. After you tie them, you go public saying you want a rematch and pressure them to play you again, this time at a neutral site.

Like someone else said, we had like 6 turnovers that game. If you can have 6 turnovers and not leave with an L, you might want to take it. On the road, 6 turnovers... yeah, I'd have been fine with a tie and a rematch.

The players on that team would have NEVER forgiven JJ had he not gone for 2. The same would have applied to former players.

Had JJ settled for the tie the "U" wouldn't be what it is today. Since our first National Championship players who have a win at all costs attitude have been the core of the Canes football program. We've never wanted players or coaches that think about anything other than winning. No moral victories!!! No ties!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back