A few video notes from the LSU game

SinCityCane

Recruit
Got back from Dallas last night & couldn't wait to watch a replay. I found a condensed version on YouTube, & tough as some of it may be, there's a whole lot to take away from this game. I thought I'd share some thoughts & observations. Pressing play will take you to a clip starting at a play or moment discussed. Let's get started.

We're in man & Dean inexplicably bails at the top of the screen, giving his WR the easy comeback. First down.

Fumble. Mike Jackson tries to pick it up instead of falling on it. LSU OL jumps on it.

This catch by JT deserves as many plays as it can get. Extraordinary.

3rd & 7. Uncatchable ball to JT. Would have been first down. DB was there a little early. No call.

2 verticals, one on each sideline. Cager's man is shadowing him with the safety favoring his side. Ahmmon, at the top of the screen, gets separation with some nifty handwork & is a step behind his man when Malik turns away from him & throws it out of bounds & over Cager's head. Inexplicable missed opportunity.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Look at Hightower at the top of the screen. He breaks #22's ankles with a sharp inside-out move but Malik, looking at him the entire time, decides to hold on to the ball while rolling to the right just long enough to where the throw takes him out of bounds. Look at all that room. Hightower might still be running with an accurate ball thrown on time - i. e. when he left his defender on his ***.

Joe Jackson & Jaquan both engage the LT & let the RB walk in. Easy touchdown.

Dean is again more than 5 yards off his man & gives up another easy completion. No excuse.

Malik throws a terrible INT right into coverage. The ball being slightly tipped is irrelevant. I think Richt alluded to this in his press conference. 7 points the other way. This ended up being significant in the score when we started to come back. Is this what we should fear a freshman who doesn't know all the plays might do?

JT breaks wide open - again - on another beautiful move. This guy is dominating. Throw is over his head & out of bounds.

Last edited:

The takedown on Willis in the middle of the line by the RG was in the end zone. Should have been a Safety. No review.

This is Rosseau being penalized for being tall & athletic when attempting to block a punt. It's a neverending hose job.

Nobody's gonna be able to cover Thomas, this year or next year, before he goes to the league. Look at him pull away after his initial move from the slot. Wow. That's against a national top 100 4 star corner. Rosier's best ball of the game.

The WRs are ****ed because they know what they're capable of. Watch this team get behind Jarren when he gets his shot. They know what could be.

Hightower is flashing great ball skills. They had tried another one to him, on the other end of the field earlier in the game. Apparently nothing new in Greentree circles.

JT has a step on his man again. He's exploding into the secondary with a head of steam & Malik throws it early & high as opposed to letting him run open & giving him a chance. Pocket was relatively clean.

The 2 times he missed Brevin wide open for big plays weren't included in these clips but were equally huge, both for the team & for Brevin.

Starting Rosier & Feagles hurts this team. Simple as that. I don't know how Richt won't see it when he looks at the film, & I don't know how he wouldn't try to do something about it if he wants to win. Those are not Miami quality starters - all apologies. A QB throwing a few nice passes every once in a while with Rosier's inaccuracy, lack of field awareness (I don't care what the coaches have said) & lack of accountability isn't gonna cut it against the teams Richt should want to beat most. He was pretty much throwing everybody else under the bus (the defense, his receivers, his OL) in the press conference without acknowledging the role he had in the outcome. It almost seemed divisive. The receivers also seemed to be reacting more to the awful throws by Malik. It's almost as if they're getting used to better passes in practice from the other QBs & can't hold their frustration. Let's hope Richt doesn't start losing them (using that term loosely) for refusing to sit the QB that's potentially hurting their draft stock & absolutely hurting their chances to win. From the looks of things, Malik might be losing the team, though you can almost count on a public show of solidarity regardless of what's happening behind the scenes.

Look at Hightower at the top of the screen. He breaks #22's ankles with a sharp inside-out move but Malik, looking at him the entire time, decides to hold on to the ball while rolling to the right just long enough to where the throw takes Hightower out of bounds. Look at all that room. Hightower might still be running with an accurate ball thrown on time - i. e. when he left his defender on his ***.

Dean is again more than 5 yards off his man & gives up another easy completion. No excuse.

Malik throws a terrible INT right into coverage. The ball being slightly tipped is irrelevant. I think Richt alluded to this in his press conference. 7 points the other way. This ended up being significant in the score when we started to come back. Is this what we should fear a freshman who doesn't know the plays might do?

JT breaks wide open - again - on another beautiful move. This guy is dominating. Throw is over his head & out of bounds.

Wow that Hightower play was extremely painful to watch

Both the plays to Brevin were terrible.
Brevin also pops out on a short route for an easy gain of 5-8 but because Rosier had pulled it down he wasn’t able to pass and he ended up throwing it away.

The problem with our offense is the conductor plain and simple. But he’s gonna play just well enough in the next couple of weeks to keep the job. The reason I truly believe guys like Cade N’Kosi keep ******** up is because they know the staff is stuck on Malik. I just don’t believe he’s not missing these passes in practice too. Which is why the WR are all NOT happy.

This is RS and AGs third years all over again. Sad really

Advertisement
Great post OP. This is exactly why for the life of me I cannot understand those who came on here bashing the playcalling for the game. The PLAYS were there all night. We had WRs running open all friggin night. A competent QB changes the complexion of the game. I can live with a young guy turning the ball over. Not a 4th year JR. QB with this many starts and obviously major accuracy limitations. Make the change man.....

The hitch at the top of video of the pick 6, is so wide open. Easy 8 yards, maybe more. When you're inaccurate and cannot read defenses, pre or post snap, it makes for a terrible combo

Advertisement
Got back from Dallas last night & couldn't wait to watch a replay. I found a condensed version on YouTube, & tough as some of it may be, there's a whole lot to take away from this game. I thought I'd share some thoughts & observations. Pressing play will take you to a clip starting at a play or moment discussed. Let's get started.

We're in man & Dean inexplicably bails at the top of the screen, giving his WR the easy comeback. First down.

Fumble. Mike Jackson tries to pick it up instead of falling on it. LSU OL jumps on it.

This catch by JT deserves as many plays as it can get. Extraordinary.

3rd & 7. Uncatchable ball to JT. Would have been first down. DB was there a little early. No call.

2 verticals, one on each sideline. Cager's man is shadowing him with the safety favoring his side. Ahmmon, at the top of the screen, gets separation with some nifty handwork & is a step behind his man when Malik turns away from him & throws it out of bounds & over Cager's head. Inexplicable missed opportunity.

That incomplete throw at the 3:14 mark is INFURIATING.

The one safety STARTS THE PLAY to Cager's side.
You'd think Rosier would see this and say, "I have arguably the best WR in the COUNTRY 1on1 with no safety help. Easy money!" But NOOOOOO.
Ahmmon gets an EASY INSIDE RELEASE WITH NO SAFETY HELP.
Rosier DOESN'T EVEN LOOK HIS WAY.
THEN, to the side he pre-decided to go to, he throws it high and out of bounds.
The man ROUTINELY overthrew our GIANT WRs.

I want him gone so bad I don't know what to say or do.

Look at Hightower at the top of the screen. He breaks #22's ankles with a sharp inside-out move but Malik, looking at him the entire time, decides to hold on to the ball while rolling to the right just long enough to where the throw takes him out of bounds. Look at all that room. Hightower might still be running with an accurate ball thrown on time - i. e. when he left his defender on his ***.

Malik throws a terrible INT right into coverage. The ball being slightly tipped is irrelevant. I think Richt alluded to this in his press conference. 7 points the other way. This ended up being significant in the score when we started to come back. Is this what we should fear a freshman who doesn't know all the plays might do?

On that Pick 6:
Brevin was open on the crossing route with nobody underneath.
Whoever was out wide was wide open with nobody underneath.
The ONLY person who had a linebacker underneath him was the person he zero'd in on almost IMMEDIATELY after the snap.

Throwing literally anywhere else gets us, worst case scenario, a 1st down.

I want to EAT MY HAT.

that's the thing, there's still a lot to like about this team but there's one guy who can make it all unravel.

The takedown on Willis in the middle of the line by the RG was in the end zone. Should have been a Safety. No review.

This is Rosseau being penalized for being tall & athletic when attempting to block a punt. It's a neverending hose job.

Nobody's gonna be able to cover Thomas, this year or next year, before he goes to the league. Look at him pull away after his initial move from the slot. Wow. That's against a national top 100 4 star corner. Rosier's best ball of the game.

The WRs are ****ed because they know what they're capable of. Watch this team get behind Jarren when he gets his shot. They know what could be.

Hightower is flashing great ball skills. They had tried another one to him, on the other end of the field earlier in the game. Apparently nothing new in Greentree circles.

JT has a step on his man again. He's exploding into the secondary with a head of steam & Malik throws it early & high as opposed to letting him run open & giving him a chance. Pocket was relatively clean.

The 2 times he missed Brevin wide open for big plays weren't included in these clips but were equally huge, both for the team & for Brevin.

Starting Rosier & Feagles hurts this team. Simple as that. I don't know how Richt won't see it when he looks at the film, & I don't know how he wouldn't try to do something about it if he wants to win. Those are not Miami quality starters - all apologies. A QB throwing a few nice passes every once in a while with Rosier's inaccuracy, lack of field awareness (I don't care what the coaches have said) & lack of accountability isn't gonna cut it against the teams Richt should want to beat most. He was pretty much throwing everybody else under the bus (the defense, his receivers, his OL) in the press conference without acknowledging the role he had in the outcome. It almost seemed divisive. The receivers also seemed to be reacting more to the awful throws by Malik. It's almost as if they're getting used to better passes in practice from the other QBs & can't hold their frustration. Let's hope Richt doesn't start losing them (using that term loosely) for refusing to sit the QB that's potentially hurting their draft stock & absolutely hurting their chances to win. From the looks of things, Malik might be losing the team, though you can almost count on a public show of solidarity regardless of what's happening behind the scenes.

Great job you really caught the most relevant plays. I'll also add that the targeting call on Trajan seemed bogus as well.

Advertisement
Great post OP. This is exactly why for the life of me I cannot understand those who came on here bashing the playcalling for the game. The PLAYS were there all night. We had WRs running open all friggin night. A competent QB changes the complexion of the game. I can live with a young guy turning the ball over. Not a 4th year JR. QB with this many starts and obviously major accuracy limitations. Make the change man.....
5th year senior, even worse!

The bashing of the playcalling is BECAUSE rosier can't make these throws. We run 4 verts constantly, even though Malik only puts about 1 out of 5 IN PLAY (let alone make a completion!) - they are 5 yards out of bounds.

I've been saying since year 1 of Richt that the route tree is way too basic. We never scheme anyone open. People say motion doesn't do anything - tell that to Matt Canada, who just knocked off Texas. It is window dressing? Yes. But it forces the defense to adjust and communicate, and sometimes that causes breakdowns. It also helps the QB decipher what is going on. Those little slight advantage percentage points add up to make a huge difference.

All our run plays are off the RPO - very few designed runs. How does Travis Homer only get 7 carries? That is criminal. The 2nd down playcalling is as bad as I've ever seen. We are near last in the nation on 3rd downs?! That just shouldn't happen.

Something is wrong with the OL. Forget not getting push - guys are running into the backfield completely untouched. I don't know if its commuication, scheme, playcalling... all I know is Searles should be on the hot seat.

I'm not going to pretend I know what the answer is. More slants and middle of the field? Malik threw one right to the LSU LB for a pick 6. Bubble screens became so predictable last year that a few almost got taken to the house. It's hard to run when there doens't seem to be holes opening.

All I know is I see innovative coordinators making it work every week, bc they have the ability to adjust and adopt to their players skillset. Mark Richt lacks that ability. Anyone saying otherwise is in denial.

Advertisement
The bashing of the playcalling is BECAUSE rosier can't make these throws. We run 4 verts constantly, even though Malik only puts about 1 out of 5 IN PLAY (let alone make a completion!) - they are 5 yards out of bounds.

I've been saying since year 1 of Richt that the route tree is way too basic. We never scheme anyone open. People say motion doesn't do anything - tell that to Matt Canada, who just knocked off Texas. It is window dressing? Yes. But it forces the defense to adjust and communicate, and sometimes that causes breakdowns. It also helps the QB decipher what is going on. Those little slight advantage percentage points add up to make a huge difference.

All our run plays are off the RPO - very few designed runs. How does Travis Homer only get 7 carries? That is criminal. The 2nd down playcalling is as bad as I've ever seen. We are near last in the nation on 3rd downs?! That just shouldn't happen.

Something is wrong with the OL. Forget not getting push - guys are running into the backfield completely untouched. I don't know if its commuication, scheme, playcalling... all I know is Searles should be on the hot seat.

I'm not going to pretend I know what the answer is. More slants and middle of the field? Malik threw one right to the LSU LB for a pick 6. Bubble screens became so predictable last year that a few almost got taken to the house. It's hard to run when there doens't seem to be holes opening.

All I know is I see innovative coordinators making it work every week, bc they have the ability to adjust and adopt to their players skillset. Mark Richt lacks that ability. Anyone saying otherwise is in denial.

Exactly

Why is it SEC dbs look like fuqin linebackers and are ridiculously fast and we have dbs with either trex arms or dbs that have that frame but r slow.

Talk to anyone that has had access to Miami's all-22 film during Richt's tenure will tell you the exact same thing you just stated. You're spot on. I do think Richt is a bit dated in his approach

But at the same time a superior QB would make certain (routine)throws and this offense would look much better.

I believe that to a degree this is on both of them. But you aint wrong Scranton

Advertisement
Back