A few thoughts....

GonzoCane

All-ACC
First off, Yankee Stadium was pretty cool, a little goofy for a football game, but I had never been and I liked it. It felt good to be at a Canes game again, even though I felt I knew what the result of the game was going to be (cue the Corleone ‘pulled me back in gif). A lot of Canes fans at the game, I mean, two guys behind me drove up from Arkansas man. The game itself was over before it was started. From the get-go, one team was just better all the way around. Better prepared, better coached, more motivated, had an identity, had a game plan and went out an executed, Miami reminded me of the old Seligmans dogs “learned helplessness” experiments anyone that has taken a Psych course knows about. They looked defeated-defense with hands on hips, offense listless and impotent, all in the first quarter. I’m sure the x’s and o’s Guys will pick this one apart, but obviously last night went way beyond “execution”, anyone that thinks that it’s merely a matter of players playing better is delusional. A It’s been at similar low points in its history, k9 mentioned the Peach Bowl, others have pointed out other games where we bottomed out. Hands down the worst game I’ve seen them play live, and again, I was an undergrad in the mid 70s. Felt badly for the kids. At one point, think it was between 3rd and 4th quarter, they replayed the game “highlights” to that point on the Jumbotron. So, in game, our guys got to look up and relive getting rolled. New York City is a tough town. I came away from last night thinking that the HC is done, players aren’t playing for him, and are acting out all over the place. The program is at a crossroads yet again. Driving away from the city, the Empire State Building bathed in red with a big red W on it, all of a sudden the entire night sky was lit it in an electriic blue-white light. Apparently some transformer exploded (I hope nobody was hurt in that) and it was visible for miles, went on for some time too. Some end to the evening.

I have to say though, the Band of the Hour brought it’s A game. Got to meet the band director, the pregame show was great. And, all 4th quarter, long after the team had packed it in, the band upped their energy, played loud and proud and were having fun and rocking, and doing their thing. My son had a great time in it all season, and it was cool to see hiim/them live. That will be my enduring takeaway image from this one.

Advertisement
If we're talking post 1980, the '97 season was pretty bad.
Of the 5 wins, our "signature" win that year was against a bad BC team, in double OT.

I'd like to thank your son and the rest in the band.
They're fun to watch.
No one can deny their crazy energy during the games.
Great stuff. (y)

I heard our band hit a couple flat notes last night, too, unfortunately

Advertisement
Back