A Few Small Observations About This Team

zoso493

Redshirt *** Splitter
So now that we're in year 3 of Al Golden's tenure at Miami, I've begun to notice a few things that I'm sure a lot of you guys have noticed as well about the product that I think Al really wants to put out on the field. These are things which I've noticed happening with increasing frequency each year Al has been with Miami, and which I think are hugely positive things for our future with Golden. None of these are things which will ever appear on a stat sheet, but I think they are indicators of the greater culture change that we're seeing now in this program.

1) Gang tackling - Something that really has stuck out to me even in the first year that Al came to Miami was how many guys were around the ball on defensive stops. I know that in Golden's first two years here the defense was atrocious (to put it kindly), but even then it seemed like a lot of guys were still getting to the ball even if they couldn't finish the play. Now, it seems like every time a defender goes down there are 15 guys around the ball carrier, and opposing players are getting knocked backward every single play. I think the most relevant statistic to support this claim is the number of fumbles this team recovers relative to the number of fumbles it causes - doesn't it seem like every time the balls comes out, one our guys is first to jump on it? Not a hugely sophisticated observation, but I think it speaks volumes to the effort level that Golden expects from his guys. This really has nothing to do with talent or athleticism, only effort and "football intelligence."

2) Repetitive terminology - Another thing that's not necessarily a super tangible trait is the way that the players (and even the coaches) use the same language and diction that the Don is preaching day in and day out. If you listen to 5 interviews from 5 different guys the day before a given game, each interview sounds like it was based off a transcript from the last. It's incredible how Golden instills his values and philosophies into his players, even from day to day. This, to me, is a clear sign of guys "buying in" and believing in the things which are being taught to them by the coaches. It also indicates (to me at least) that the Don and his staff are doing an effective job of teaching their concepts to the players in a manner which they can all grasp and relate to.

3) Team unity - This is maybe the least tangible of the things I wanted to put out, but it's something that I've noticed a lot, especially in the three games this year. This team has an air about it of teams past that took no **** from anybody. If a defender does something to Duke that Feliciano doesn't like, he's going to say something. If a running back gets in Highsmith's face after a big run, Thurston's going to tell him to go **** himself. If a defender keeps a Miami player on the ground for a half second too long, his guys are shoving him off to let their guy up. I love it. Guys are finally having each other's backs on this squad - which is something that hasn't necessarily been the case at Miami for a long time. I think it's pretty easy to see that players are holding each other accountable on and off the field as well.

Again, this is nothing earth-shattering, but I think each of these things deserves a mention on this board because these are all things which can easily go unnoticed during the course of a game. I'm sure that you guys can come up with other examples, but these to me serve as great indicators of the little things that Golden is trying to do to change the overall culture of Miami football.

Advertisement
Good post as the team seems to be a big family now, not like at Florida where a lot of players seemed to be glad Driskell got hurt as he wasn't receiving a lot of love on sidelines and tweets after game seemed to indicate many are happy Murphy is QB.

As to the first point, Golden and Coach D have - from the very beginning - talked about a segment called the 'loaf film', where they point out guys who don't run hard to the ball on a certain play or peel back to where the play goes. This is consistently drilled into them. And Golden has talked about a simple mathematical principle that the more people you have around the ball, the better your chances of creating fumbles and recovering them

And if you recruit enough good players( who buy-in) and create a culture where they are held accountable, you will have guys who will consistently run to the ball because there is a chance if they don't, they will be right next to Golden on the sideline

Last edited:
Good observations. This is how teams end up competing for championships.

Remember the '01 OL? They seemed to be very tight, did all kinds of stuff together, including eating out, getting up at god-awful hours to work out and push a pickup truck. That's why it was probably the most successful OL in UM history.

I agree on all your points as they seem to shine out the most.

But I must admit I really love seeing how the team looks like they love playing for each other and representing that U on their helmet the way Irvin, ray, Ed and all the other former greats played and wanna see their school continue to play

Advertisement
Good post as the team seems to be a big family now, not like at Florida where a lot of players seemed to be glad Driskell got hurt as he wasn't receiving a lot of love on sidelines and tweets after game seemed to indicate many are happy Murphy is QB.

AND WHEN MURPHY GETS *** RAPED....THEN WHAT?!....NEXT IT WILL BE THE COST OF DENTAL FLOSS TO THE 2-4-1 LAP DANCES @CAFE' RISQUÉ'.....

UF-@-G IS LOOKIN' FOR ANYTHING TO STOP THEIR ANAL BLEEDING.....DRISKELL BREAKING HIS LEG IS NOTHING MORE THAN AN OPPORTUNITY TO PUT A IMAGINARY BAND-AIDE OVER THE CANCER OF REALITY THAT THEY ARE SPIRALING TO A LEVEL LOWER THAN WHALE ****.....AND THAT'S AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN, MY FRIEND.... :crownpour:

Good stuff. I would add They never quit playing hard. The first thing I noticed in year one was that the team no longer quit on games--well except the last one after we self-imposed. They were playing all 4 quarters. We saw the finished product of that in the reptile coffin they put the gator in this month. Staff is making Canes out of mere men-- its a process. Great observations.

Indeed K9cane. Excellent point that I have modified ever so slightly.

K9cane said:

And if you recruit enough good players( who buy-in) and create a culture where they are held accountable, you will have guys who will consistently run to the ball because there is a chance if they don't, they will be right next to Golden on the sideline and then if it continues right out the door headed to Bethune or Utah or anywhere not named the University of Miami.

Advertisement
Team Unity. The Florida game was the obstacle that was cleared that in my opinion brought this team together tighter than ever (under Golden). Accomplishing that goal against a tough team, especially a huge in state rival, was exactly what this team needed for unity. Golden and Coach D's philosophy was proven to work to the players, and they played for each other harder because they could see it coming to fruition in front of their eyes. Underestimated trait. Thanks for recognizing.

Good stuff. I would add They never quit playing hard. The first thing I noticed in year one was that the team no longer quit on games--well except the last one after we self-imposed. They were playing all 4 quarters. We saw the finished product of that in the reptile coffin they put the gator in this month. Staff is making Canes out of mere men-- its a process. Great observations.

Since we have never been behind, this has not been tested. It's a small point because I don't want us to get into a situation where it is tested. Teams don't often quit when they are ahead.

Since we have never been behind, this has not been tested. It's a small point because I don't want us to get into a situation where it is tested. Teams don't often quit when they are ahead.

The team wasn't quitting in year one, when they were behind... a lot. They didn't have the personnel to compete like they do now. Having to play a DB who couldn't start at Wake is a very bad sign. Year 1, Golden was getting guys like that. Year 3? He's getting All Big 10 kids on the waiver wire. Huge difference. Soon, there won't be a need.

Advertisement
It's about accountability. There is one way to do things on this team, and if you don't, see ya. It's an interesting balance to maintain because Golden seems to really care about his players, but he has a short leash. You **** around and you are gone.

Advertisement
Commitment and buy-in are two points that cannot be emphasized enough. It's true in any organization most especially team sports.
Miami's success came from guys that were ****-bent on being the best. You can show a list of dozens of guys that came to Miami unheralded and became great because of it. It seems that they're at that point again.

Advertisement
Back