A different media perspective on the game...

Udaman

Recruit
From Every Day Should be Saturday:

A warning. Miami beat Wake Forest after trailing for much of the game, and looking utterly horrible doing it. If somehow Miami manages to win against Florida State, we will say the exact same thing, because Miami is to 2013 what Florida was to 2012, a goon squad capable of dragging every other opponent down to its level and beating them to death with a storm of forced errors, a brutal run game, and the occasional flash from the passing game and special teams.

That seems impossible now, but it's easy to recognize a team like Florida State as being excellent, thanks to huge points margins and obvious dominance. It's another to point out the undefeateds like Miami, who are clearly playing with thin margins and managing them brilliantly through sheer force and a good dose of luck. Teams like that are always dangerous, but put them within the context of the bedeviled Miami-Florida State series, and they're practically covered in gumball lights and horns going into the game.

Miami is one of two teams in the Top Whatever [the other being Stanford] that wins games WWE-style: ugly, late, and usually only after five or six near-tapouts interrupted by strokes of fate too weird to be anything but scripted. A 24-21 win over Wake Forest is unimpressive, and having to beat them late is way, way worse, but Al Golden so does not care, because every game for Miami is a long, staggering run to the surprise submission hold, the lucky hit with the folding chair, and the stunning reversal for a pin.

Miami is Santino, and Duke Johnson is their killer cobra sock puppet. Laugh at your own risk, Florida State. Better men than you have lost to that sock.

Advertisement
Great find as it's hard not to find an article that doesn't turn into a full Winston suck job.

We play dirty but we've been able to find a way to win. I'm not putting anything past our team come Saturday

EDSBS has some pretty good stuff. The most interesting college football site out there

He is spot on. FSU is not gonna overwhelm us with their athletes. They may well dominate the statistics but we will make it a game and I'm taking our squad all day when the game is on the line. This reminds me of our 2002 squad v OSU. Everyone picked us to win. We can match them in the trenches and actually overpower them with our OL. They know that. We are gonna hit the **** outa them on defense. Make it nasty ruff and rugged

Advertisement
If Duke is the cobra sockpuppet, then Howard will be this come Saturday:

738.gif

Last edited:
We all know it has to be some sort of wacky win....and so does this guy. It's refreshing to read that someone isn't counting us out entirely.

Each year, even the really good teams have 2 bad games. The really good Qb's have a couple of 3 or 4 turnover games in the regular season. Winston hasn't had that yet, but he will. History says so. Will one of those bad games come against us? I say the odds are increasing in our favor that it does.

Advertisement
Hate associating us with OSU but they did win a lot of games ugly that year. And we were massively better than them. Some idiot said the other day the Noles were better than our last NC team. Those pieces do all fit nicely together. Plus Al is from PSU, the other nightmare upset against us. I hate being either of those but I'll take a win on Saturday anyway I can get it. Certainly the Noles are nowhere near the teams we had when we lost those two games.

I think that comparison to UF is pretty good. Sure we all want to win like Oregon, but at the end of the day winning is what counts.

Win, stay healthy, improve and move on.

The sheer fact that the sock puppet was mentioned makes this a good read. Add that on top of this writer not being a Winston blow boy makes it great. If this game is close, we'll win. If they are only up by 14 or less at half, we'll win. I've yet to see them do (or have to do) anything in the second half of a game aside from BC and come on...it's BC. We have shown focus, composure, and grit in the second half and it'll continue. Go Canes.

I agree that the only way to win is to win ugly, and get win the special teams/field position battles, then get plain lucky at least once. I actually give us the edge in the trenches guysms, its their athletes on offense that scare the bejeezus out of me, that and Winston is crazy accurate. And we all know someone is open in our current scheme.

Advertisement
I agree that the only way to win is to win ugly, and get win the special teams/field position battles, then get plain lucky at least once. I actually give us the edge in the trenches guysms, its their athletes on offense that scare the bejeezus out of me, that and Winston is crazy accurate. And we all know someone is open in our current scheme.

Ebron is still running with no defender within 10 yards of him as we speak.

The one thing that worries me more than anything else with Winston is his ability to escape the pass rush and make a big play. Sure he can pass, but he will be the first qb we've played that could pass and run well. Renner and Tanner Price were not the runners that Winston is and they carved us up for good yards.

Ebron is still running with no defender within 10 yards of him as we speak.

Not surprised by this as the game ended a 13 days ago.

Advertisement
Then there is Rece Davis...

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/gamedayKickoff1031/week-10

Saturday looks like a terrifying night in Tallahassee for Miami. Florida State is a three-touchdown favorite, the largest spread ever between two undefeated top-10 teams.

The Hurricanes' mascot is the ibis because that brave bird is the last to seek shelter in the face of the most menacing storm. But let's be honest: Sebastian will be looking for cover by the middle of the second quarter.

Watching the Hurricanes venture into Doak Campbell figures to be like watching the group of teenagers in "Friday the 13th." You'll be screaming at the screen, "What are you doing?! Don't stay at the camp! Get out of there!"

Hate associating us with OSU but they did win a lot of games ugly that year. And we were massively better than them. Some idiot said the other day the Noles were better than our last NC team. Those pieces do all fit nicely together. Plus Al is from PSU, the other nightmare upset against us. I hate being either of those but I'll take a win on Saturday anyway I can get it. Certainly the Noles are nowhere near the teams we had when we lost those two games.

Very appropriate comparison. We've been the better team and lost. I don't think any of the media or the FSU fans who are high on their own hype can even envision it but we all know it's possible.

Plus, I really do think that UTough is going to pay dividends. I'm interested to see if FSU has the conditioning to hang for 60 minutes. There's no way to know as no one has taken them to the wire but I do know that our guys will be playing 60. We've had to be physical and patient. They've not even been asked to do that yet.

Lastly, I think O'Donnell will be key. He helps Golden to play chess while I'm sure - Jimbo is all checkers.

What the national media doesn't understand or chooses to ignore is that the players on both teams have played each other many many times. Whether it be pop warner, 7 v 7, high school, camps, etc. There will be no intimidation because Tracy Howard covered Rashaad Greene long before he was a Nole, Chick and McCord tackled Wilder long before his jersey didn't fit, Duke's stiff arm has been placed in Joyner's face prior to being All- ACC.

There isn't the awe factor between these teams.

Like the scene in Good Will Hunting

"I knew you before you were a mathematical god, when you were pimple-faced and homesick and didn't know what side of the bed to **** on!"

I disagree big time with the only way is to win ugly. We have stud wideouts. We have a QB that many in the offseason projected as a 1st round pick, who holds the ACC record for yards in a game. Everyone always forgets that Morris threw for nearly 3500 yards last season. We have 3 or 4 guys on the O-line who will play on Sundays, whose strength is pass pro. Sure we haven't seen it yet THIS SEASON, save a few plays here or there, but Stephen Morris has it in him to light it up and throw for 400 yrds any given week. I pray, PRAY they load the box against us. I want to see Morris step up and us expose their secondary. Coley, Waters, Hurns, Walford and now Scott back? You gotta be a **** fool wit it to want to try and match up against that.

Advertisement
Back