A couple of observations...

jzabl001

Redshirt Freshman
I went back and watched a condensed version of the game put together by an FSU Youtube account. Here are my observations from a non-coaching perspective:

- FSU downright wore our lines down from about midway through the third quarter on. We were just as aggressive defensively in the second half as were in the first half. We just couldn't get to Winston. They did a great job picking up and blitz and their receivers got open with the time he had to find them.

- We were picking up chunks of yards on the ground on 1st and 2nd downs the first 40 minutes of the game. I really don't blame Coley for going to the well with Duke and Yearby. Maybe a healthy Gus Edwards changes the equation a bit, but our o-line flat out dominated the game through 3 quarters. The key to our passing game is being on scheduled and getting the ball out quick and using the middle of the field with Walford and the backs. It's harder to do that when the run game stalls and you are forcing your true frosh quarterback to win the game for you against a fast and talented defense.

- It's incredible the amount of breaks FSU has gotten this year. Yes, Lane dropped a surefire TD the play before, but McCord batting the ball up into the air volleyball style and into Williams' hands (in stride no less), is just another example. The Walford fumble was actually an incredible defensive play by Ramsey, but on the second TE fumble, Dobard simply dropped the ball. We score a TD on that drive or even get 3 and it's a totally different complexion going into the 4th quarter.

It's hard to blame individual coaching, but the buck starts and stops with Golden. We did everything we could to win the game but also did just enough to lose. That's why we are what we are right now.

Advertisement
Our Oline didnt dominate really. FLowers did a great job though of dominating Mario Edwards individually which is VERY IMPRESSIVE, but as a group FSUs DTs had their way with the interior Oline for most of the game.

We shot ourselves in the foot but I don't feel as bad as past um vs fsu games were getting closer and i truly believe next year is our year funny how we where beat by one of our own If cook would've came to um it would've all been so different what coincidence he scored the game winning TD at the 3:05 mark we need miami talent to stay in Miami....go canes!!!!!

What I noticed is less man and more zone in the second half. Also we took out Crawford who was blanketing receivers in the first half out and replaced him with armbrister in zone in the second half. Remember what happened in the Georgia Tech game on 3rd and 15? It happened the whole second half. And the few times Crawford cover the slot we got stops.

I'm going to rewatch it 4 times because I always hear how much better we are on rewatch than on first view. We might win the rewatch National Championship.

Advertisement
I think in the end quality of depth gave FSU the edge. Say what you want, but this team is ver very close to being a competitive team again. There will be some huge holes to fill but I do think its possible. Getting AQM and Rayshawn Jenkins back will be HUGE for this team. I love the way the defense has played over the last few weeks, if the continues we could really have a very solid ball club.

Knocking out 7 of the ship reductions this season was very smart move by this staff. Being able to carry 84 next season is going to allow this team to develop the type of depth that it take to compete on a high level for 4 quarters.

We're getting closer? So, in 12 years we'll finally catch them?

can-t-wait-o.gif

We're getting closer? So, in 12 years we'll finally catch them?

View attachment 27318

Getting closer cracks me up. 4 losses in year 4 with 3 games left. Unable to beat a reeling fsu team with an extra week to prepare playing at home. Losing tons of veteran talent and leadership next year including the one guy who is capable of overcoming Folden to some extent--Duke Johnson.

Yep. We're way better and sure to be better next year too after losing all those vets. And certainly none of our opponents will get better either.

GT was better this year than they were last year, and, according to the stains on here so are we. Looks like they improved more than we did because we whipped them last year and got annihilated by them this year.

I get a kick out of the current pro-Ghoulden rallying cry - "guysm, we're really close!"

Yet they fail to see that we have 4 losses already.

And don't look now but Mike London is licking his chops waiting to feast on Ghoulden. He knows he has him right where he wants him.

Advertisement
Depth, depth, depth...especially on the OL and DL. You simply can not be a contender at this level and hang with the big boys for four quarters without it. Starting lineups are over rated.

I too think the line play was the difference in the 4th quarter. Here is a microcosm of that idea: On FSU's last drive they run a draw play and score. Nobody on our dline stepped up and made a tackle. On our last drive we run a draw play and it's stopped for no gain. An FSU dlineman made a **** of diving play to get yearby. Their dline made a play ours didn't. No gain vs touchdown.

I haven't rewatched the game or anything, but did anyone else notice Duke being overly protective of the ball when he got to the 2nd level and falling into FSU defenders? He only had that one explosive run to the right side when the line parted like the Red Sea. I felt watching that he was being very conservative in his runs, or as a mope am I just making **** up?

Advertisement
Get the **** outta here with this depth bull****.

Are we not two-deep on defense?

DL:

Chickillo
Pierre
Heurtelou
McCord
Kamalu
Wyche
Thomas
Harris

LB:

Perryman
Armbrister
Kirby
Grace
Owens

CB:

Gunter
Burns
Howard
Crawford
Elder

S:

Bush
Fentress
Carter
Crawford

I went back and watched a condensed version of the game put together by an FSU Youtube account. Here are my observations from a non-coaching perspective:

- FSU downright wore our lines down from about midway through the third quarter on. We were just as aggressive defensively in the second half as were in the first half. We just couldn't get to Winston. They did a great job picking up and blitz and their receivers got open with the time he had to find them.

- We were picking up chunks of yards on the ground on 1st and 2nd downs the first 40 minutes of the game. I really don't blame Coley for going to the well with Duke and Yearby. Maybe a healthy Gus Edwards changes the equation a bit, but our o-line flat out dominated the game through 3 quarters. The key to our passing game is being on scheduled and getting the ball out quick and using the middle of the field with Walford and the backs. It's harder to do that when the run game stalls and you are forcing your true frosh quarterback to win the game for you against a fast and talented defense.

- It's incredible the amount of breaks FSU has gotten this year. Yes, Lane dropped a surefire TD the play before, but McCord batting the ball up into the air volleyball style and into Williams' hands (in stride no less), is just another example. The Walford fumble was actually an incredible defensive play by Ramsey, but on the second TE fumble, Dobard simply dropped the ball. We score a TD on that drive or even get 3 and it's a totally different complexion going into the 4th quarter.

It's hard to blame individual coaching, but the buck starts and stops with Golden. We did everything we could to win the game but also did just enough to lose. That's why we are what we are right now.

This. From the Clemson fumble setting up OT, to the Louisville fumble for TD, to the Louisville dropped pick 6, to the ND pass interference, to the Miami tip ball for TD, FSU clearly has 9 lives.

DL:

Chickillo
Pierre
Heurtelou
McCord
Kamalu
Wyche
Thomas
Harris

LB:

Perryman
Armbrister
Kirby
Grace
Owens

CB:

Gunter
Burns
Howard
Crawford
Elder

S:

Bush
Fentress
Carter
Crawford

Besides Chad, Perryman, Bush, and Grace who starts on a defense like FSU's?Their two deep consists of freshman and sophomores who are outplaying our starting defense. Not to mention FSU actually makes adjustments and uses their players in a variety of ways; Ramsey was playing LB and S.

Advertisement
Only thing I observed was a team playing scared when they should have been playing balls out.

And a bunch of freshman from Miami balling out for our most hated rival.

Dalvin did exactly what I thought he would. He alone is enough to beat Golden for his next two years at FSU.

As long as Al and Co. are here, we will be the poor man's Stanford and everyone else's doormat.

Last edited:

DL:

Chickillo
Pierre
Heurtelou
McCord
Kamalu
Wyche
Thomas
Harris

LB:

Perryman
Armbrister
Kirby
Grace
Owens

CB:

Gunter
Burns
Howard
Crawford
Elder

S:

Bush
Fentress
Carter
Crawford

Besides Chad, Perryman, Bush, and Grace who starts on a defense like FSU's?Their two deep consists of freshman and sophomores who are outplaying our starting defense. Not to mention FSU actually makes adjustments and uses their players in a variety of ways; Ramsey was playing LB and S.

Are you ******* kidding me with this ***** ****?

Howard, Bush, Kirby, Chickillo, Burns, Crawford, McCord could all play at fsu

Advertisement
Back