A Couple of Interesting Tidbits From Pete

Lets pray this is a joke ice offers nothing but trouble for the program still stings when we got his son instead of local patrick peterson who bolted to lsu :crownpour:

Glad to hear you say this. I've read so many threads about how UM HAD to get Treon Harris, etc. Great player, but what would the blowback be after he loses the QB job to Kaaya? UGLY!

Advertisement
This admissions crap is going to get us killed one day... Dade Football players does not equal Rhodes Scholars...

Admissions for us are a pain in the **** but come on man... We're talking about high school. I mean, if these kids can't do basic learning in high school, why in the **** should they get a free ride to a good educational institution followed on by an opportunity to make millions in the NFL. These kids should be working as hard in the classroom as they are on their **** facebook and twitter accounts!

And these coaches that let these kids slip through the cracks without pushing them to do better and knock out their SAT/ACT should be held accountable as well.

You have a good point but it isn't always the coaches and/or the kids.

For example when I played we got out from practice/weightlifting at around 8:30, and that was the earliest time we ever got out. Most of the time it was well after 9. By the time you get home and shower its **** near 11 and you haven't even eaten yet or had time to sit down and open a book. And then you have to be up at 6 am to go to school and do it all over again. And that was 4 days a week. On Friday you have the game and if you play at 7:30, by the time the game is over and you get back to the locker room or whatever it usually well past 11 pm.

I say all that to say that everybody wants these dudes to be scholars but yet place demands on their time regular students don't have. Much less if they're highly recruited. Constant phone calls, constant visits to your house, them all wanting you to take trips to their campus, etc. Where is all this time for studying? Most nights if I wanted to do any HW I was up till 2 in the morning.

Last edited:
Can someone edumacate those of us that don't know what happened with Powell finally?

I thought rumor was that he was ****ed we were going after Cook?

What actually happened?

Can someone edumacate those of us that don't know what happened with Powell finally?

I thought rumor was that he was ****ed we were going after Cook?

What actually happened?

i think it was admissions they were making him jump through hoops, he got fed up and bolted to UF

Advertisement
This admissions crap is going to get us killed one day... Dade Football players does not equal Rhodes Scholars...

Admissions for us are a pain in the **** but come on man... We're talking about high school. I mean, if these kids can't do basic learning in high school, why in the **** should they get a free ride to a good educational institution followed on by an opportunity to make millions in the NFL. These kids should be working as hard in the classroom as they are on their **** facebook and twitter accounts!

And these coaches that let these kids slip through the cracks without pushing them to do better and knock out their SAT/ACT should be held accountable as well.

For example when I played we got out from practice/weightlifting at around 8:30, and that was the earliest time we ever got out. Most of the time it was well after 9. By the time you get home and shower its **** near 11 and you haven't even eaten yet or had time to sit down and open a book. And then you have to be up at 6 am to go to school and do it all over again. And that was 4 days a week. On Friday you have the game and if you play at 7:30, by the time the game is over and you get back to the locker room or whatever it usually well past 11 pm.

I say all that to say that everybody wants these dudes to be scholars but yet place demands on their time regular students don't have. Much less if they're highly recruited. Constant phone calls, constant visits to your house, them all wanting you to take trips to their campus, etc. Where is all this time for studying? Most nights if I wanted to do any HW I was up till 2 in the morning.

Didn't realize how packed the schedule was! Not sure what time school starts, but I would have them practice in the AM before school to allow the kids more time to study, to homework, and rest.

don't lose sleep on either one...Move forward.

Pete is great at what he is doing...but don't take it all to heart..

Didn't realize how packed the schedule was! Not sure what time school starts, but I would have them practice in the AM before school to allow the kids more time to study, to homework, and rest.

Yea and its not an excuse, some of these kids just don't put in the effort. But at the same time schools need to look at the time demands they put on these players too. Just to be average in the classroom they have to go above and beyond, and some of them simply aren't willing to do it when they already spend so much time on football.

Advertisement
Two things from the Q&A really caught my eye. This for those of you that don't feel like reading the whole thing:

1) Ice Harris was offered a job on the staff and turned it down

Pete didn't say when this occurred, what position he would've had or why he turned it down but nonetheless very interesting.

2) We came very close to losing Yearby to USF

Yearby was having some of the same problems with admissions that Brandon Powell was having and he almost bolted to USF. His relationship with Coley is what kept him here.

On the admissions note, D$ said in a post (see below) that it wasn't admissions but certain coaches are tasked with handling paperwork on certain kids. Maybe Yearby and Powell's situations are different or maybe one on the coaches dropped the ball.

From D$ Thoughts Thread
"Coaches are often tasked with certain paperwork responsibilities with getting a recruit into a school. I'll leave it at that."

Advertisement
As a program we're having to fight too many battles. We're fighting to build relationships with south Florida coaches who for various reasons don't think our staff is where some of their best players should play. We're fighting with third party influencers over what it will take to get kids into our program. We're fighting with the NCAA over its double standard way of handling nevin gate, and we're fighting with our own administration to get top talent admitted. I didn't even mention that we're fighting with every other D1 program for recruits and wins. LOL. I'm willing to bet LSU, Alabama, etc. are not fighting half these battles and they sure as heck aren't fighting with their own administration about getting a top kid from their recruiting base with a 4.0 GPA admitted.

Two things from the Q&A really caught my eye. This for those of you that don't feel like reading the whole thing:

2) We came very close to losing Yearby to USF

Yearby was having some of the same problems with admissions that Brandon Powell was having and he almost bolted to USF. His relationship with Coley is what kept him here.

That's a lovely sentiment...seriously, but as we preach the gospel, these kids are not going to change as long as billion dollar state schools are around to get them in any way they can to improve their football product.

I know...definitely sounds like compromising ethics in order to compete on the big stage, but with Shalalalala in charge, that will never be a concern for us. Stanford does just fine with it...so maybe we can turn that corner as well....but it really is apples and oranges there..

UM

Advertisement
Back