9-3 a Good Season?

Last time we had 9 wins was in 2017.

Yes. 9-3, with a chance at 10-3 in the bowl game would be a huge accomplishment. Finishing 9-3 also means we upset a really good UL or FSU team. I'll take it happily.
Louisville at home 100x more likely than FSU realistically speaking

Advertisement
10-2 would be icing on the cake, but I would absolutely take a 9-3 season and not look back. As fans we’re naturally going to look back at the GT game and wonder what might have been, but I’m over it now, and a 9-3 season would generate some positive momentum nationally and with recruiting. In sports, often-times perception is nine-tenths of the law. It doesn’t matter how you won, who you beat, etc. all that matters is your record. At the end of the day, that’s a +4 positive swing from last year so I’d be happy with that.

Mario is a narrative guy, every W over 5, helps him with what he's selling.

The GT loss is an embarrassing skid-mark, it's the story that will never go away. He can, however, shift how its viewed in the future.

If he wins 9 games, that's a solid foundation and big improvement. In that case, GT makes him look like a guy who's obsessed with culture and a decent enough coach, but will be good for some bonehead decisions. Yet, the program is still headed in the right direction.

If we wins 10 games, I think it makes a strong argument that the foundation is rock solid and he's a good coach who actually overachieved this season (a **** near coup for Mario). That really dampens the GT narrative because despite the history of questionable gameday decisions, the guy can win football games "his way."

I don't think anyone will view us as a true playoff caliber team though, even in a down year.

If we win 7 or 8 games, I think that's an "as expected" season, where Mario validates that he needs to win on talent and evaluations, but will probably be a carousel of coordinators. He will have high, highs, but low, lows and that GT situation proved he is Simple Jack on game day.

I think the big question is not just winning but how we are playing. I just don't think we are playing that great and we might be a top 25 team at the end of the year. Had higher hopes for this team. QB play has killed us!

Advertisement
Louisville at home 100x more likely than FSU realistically speaking
It is and it isn’t.

It is because FSU is simply the better opponent of the two.

It isn’t because you never know what’ll happen in a rivalry game, plus if we lose to FSU…now there’s the emotional letdown, no fans at home, Louisville playing for an ACC Championship appearance and we have nothing to play for.

Wow! You really think we get MORE than 3 wins out of the rest of this season? I’d be thrilled with anything more than 1 more win this year.

I'm still hoping for 2 more wins but this last 4 going to be a tough out with zero passing game

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back