89 Blocks

SanAmaro2005

Redshirt Freshman
Just caught the last thirty minutes of a documentary called 89 Blocks on FS1. It's about the East St. Louis team that Jeff Thomas played on and won the state championship. Lots of highlights of their games, but also interesting look at the poverty and violence in the community. They showed the signing day press conference for Thomas and all his teammates too. I wish I had seen the first hour. Did anyone else get to watch it?

Advertisement
Honestly I think it made Jeff Thomas look really ******* bad, and really makes me question how the **** we were able to get him to qualify. But It also showed his incredible talent too. Big time player, hopefully he puts it together and doesn't try to pull any of that BS he did in HS.

Honestly I think it made Jeff Thomas look really ****ing bad, and really makes me question how the **** we were able to get him to qualify. But It also showed his incredible talent too. Big time player, hopefully he puts it together and doesn't try to pull any of that BS he did in HS.

In case any future posters wanna say we cant get kids in should look at this doc and realize Richt will work miracles for the right kids...

Advertisement
Richt clearly isn't putting up with any of his BS. Was also kinda sad the other kids on the team would go on official visits and the coaches would ask them about Jeff instead of them!

Richt clearly isn't putting up with any of his BS. Was also kinda sad the other kids on the team would go on official visits and the coaches would ask them about Jeff instead of them!

That’s how recruiting is , it’s a business

yea they (Mizzou) were working a deal to try to get jeff thomas and the qb..they aint get jeff so seemed like they dropped the qb..He committed to Minn though and redshirted this year as a db.

That documentary let u know jeff thomas in high school didnt care. dude literally went awol at times from his team and school.He actually had a history of it, quite frankly after watching it im shocked at how well he did this year. Hes a kid we will have to have constant monitor/mentorship with for the next few years. Also im sure he is happy as **** to be living in miami and not there. Good lord.

East St Louis is very similar to inner city miami and ft lauderdale.

yea they (Mizzou) were working a deal to try to get jeff thomas and the qb..they aint get jeff so seemed like they dropped the qb..He committed to Minn though and redshirted this year as a db.

That documentary let u know jeff thomas in high school didnt care. dude literally went awol at times from his team and school.He actually had a history of it, quite frankly after watching it im shocked at how well he did this year. Hes a kid we will have to have constant monitor/mentorship with for the next few years. Also im sure he is happy as **** to be living in miami and not there. Good lord.

Up until the 80s Atlantic didn’t go over the turnpike (built later), you couldnt Bypass Collier City/Hammondville Rd easily. Progress has a way of hiding tthe people left behind - even if by accident, but it seldom is an accident.

As for Jeff, there were aspects of his play that haven’t changed...for the better.

I became more of a Jeff Thomas fan, but became more concerned. I too hope he has lots of guidance.

Advertisement
I can't find it online. Anyone know if it's on deck to be replayed on Fox or FS1?

Jeff didn’t behave like you would hope at the beginning of the documentary, but it looks like he pulled himself together and finished strong. That’s why they won the state championship. I don’t think he has pulled any of those stunts at Miami, otherwise he would have been suspended by now. Richt and Dugans are probably great father figures for him and keep him in line and focused.

If not for having a mediocre QB, Thomas would have been a Freshman AA. How many times was the kid wode the f open only to have Rosier either miss him or not see him.

Funny

Right after JT signed to UM, I was called a racist for mentioned on here, that he was really going to need to stay focused and buckle down to be eligible here.

Advertisement
Jeff didn’t behave like you would hope at the beginning of the documentary, but it looks like he pulled himself together and finished strong. That’s why they won the state championship. I don’t think he has pulled any of those stunts at Miami, otherwise he would have been suspended by now. Richt and Dugans are probably great father figures for him and keep him in line and focused.

If not for having a mediocre QB, Thomas would have been a Freshman AA. How many times was the kid wode the f open only to have Rosier either miss him or not see him.
AA? No way, not even close. AA’s fight for balls; they don’t go down immediately at contact. He has talent, but he’s a far place from realizing it unless he makes some immediate changes.

Jeff quits on things. That’s what he did in the video and that’s what he’s done in games; it was only overshadowed by relative success. But it was there if you watched him close enough.

Jeff has been fortunate enough in his life to get by on athletic talent, but if he’s ever going to be worth the $1MM his coach spoke about he HAS to change. It can’t just be...a little more of what he’s giving now. It has to be diametrically opposed to his current position.

I hope it’s a coach or some other mentoring force like a good girlfriend because he ain’t a bad kid...at all.

AA? No way, not even close. AA’s fight for balls; they don’t go down immediately at contact. He has talent, but he’s a far place from realizing it unless he makes some immediate changes.

Jeff quits on things. That’s what he did in the video and that’s what he’s done in games; it was only overshadowed by relative success. But it was there if you watched him close enough.

Jeff has been fortunate enough in his life to get by on athletic talent, but if he’s ever going to be worth the $1MM his coach spoke about he HAS to change. It can’t just be...a little more of what he’s giving now. It has to be diametrically opposed to his current position.

I hope it’s a coach or some other mentoring force like a good girlfriend because he ain’t a bad kid...at all.

He was open all year. He catches 3 more bombs and 3-5 more mid range type of catches and he ends up with 400 more yards and 3 to 4 more TDs. That's Freshman AA numbers.

What you say is otherwise true, but hard to deny that would have done much better with a better QB.

Advertisement

I went to St. Louis one time and had to drive through East St. Louis. One of the few areas in the country I think is more desolate than inner city Miami.

Jeff Thomas isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I'll be surprised if he stays eligible.

raw

The trolls we have are terrible and should be embarrassed

Advertisement
Back