Canes BSBL at UVA Game 3 (Canes Win 8-6)

Advertisement
1st inning: Good start for the Canes. Miami has the bases loaded with no outs. Already have 1 run in. 2 RBI base hit for Thompson. 3-0 Canes still no outs. UVA gets out of the inning. Canes lead 3-0 mid 1st. Sosa gives up and base hit and a walk, but gets out of it with 3 consecutive pop-outs. Canes lead 3-0 after 1.

2nd inning: Eusebio double to lead off the inning. Euebio gets gunned down at the plate on a fielders choice hit by Kennedy. RBI tripple by George Iskenderian. 4-0 Canes mid 2nd. 3 base hits to start the inning for UVA. Bases loaded no outs. Another base hit scores 2. 4-2 Canes lead. Sac bunt for the first out. Base hit score 2 more. Tie game 4-4. Sac fly for the 2nd out. UVA leads 5-4. Fly out to end the inning. 5-4 UVA lead after 2.

3rd inning: Thompson walk, Abreu strikeout, Lopez fielders choice. Barr RBI single scores Thompson. Tie game 5-5 mid 3. Quick 1-2-3 inning for Sosa. Game is tied 5-5 after 3.

4th inning: Eusebio groundout, Kennedy base hit, Iskenderian pop out, Collins walk, Thompson walk. Bases loaded with 2 outs. Abreu at the plate. Bases clearing 3 RBI double by Willie Abreu! Canes retake the lead 8-5! Lopez walks, Runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs. Barr grounds out to end the inning. Canes lead 8-5 mid 4.2 hits and a groundout to start the inning for UVA. Runners at 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Big strikeout by Sosa for the 2nd out. Groundout to end the inning. 8-5 Canes lead after 4.

5th inning: Heyward groundout, Eusebio walk, Kennedy single, Iskenderian 6-4-3 DP to end the rally. 8-5 Canes mid 5. Walk and a base hit to start the inning for UVA. Line-out to Barr and he steps on first for a double play. Runner on 2nd with 2 outs. Abrams in to pitch. Abrams gets a strikeout to end the inning. 8-5 Canes after 5.

6th inning: Canes go down 1-2-3 in the 6th. Mediavilla in to pitch. Strikeout, double, and groundout for UVA. Another strikeout to end the inning. 8-5 Miami after 6.

7th inning: Lopez HBP, Barr SAC bunt, Heyward strikeout, Eusebio pops up to 1st base for the 3rd out. Mediavilla strikes out the first batter of the inning. Back-to-back walks by Mediavilla and now Cooper Hammond will come into the game. Hammond gets a ground ball but a throwing error cost Miami another run. 8-6 Canes lead after 7.

8th inning: Canes go down 1-2-3 in the 8th. Hammond back to the mound. Quick inning for Cooper. Canes up 8-6 after 8.

9th inning: Thompson gets robbed of a HR by UVA LF for the first out. Base hit by Abreu, Chester pinch-runs for Abreu and gets picked off. Lopez grounds out to short for the 3rd out. On to the bottom of the ninth. Canes lead 8-6. Bryan Garcia in to pitch. Garcia strikes out the first batter after a long ab. Fly-out to left for the second out of the inning. Fly-out to CF to end it.

CANES WIN GAME 3 8-6.

Last edited:
A reliable 3rd and 4th starting pitcher might be our downfall come post season time. Only weakness I see on the team.

Advertisement
123 bottom of the 9th. Canes win! Would have been nice to take 2 out of 3 but not catastrophic by any means.

Advertisement
Big game vs Fau then FSU this weekend. FAU rumored to be a host site and FSU is now only one game back IIRC. 3 of 4 would be nice.

I'm not freaking out over losing a series to UVA. Sure, they've struggled this season, but they're still a pretty good team. And we were squarely in the 2 games that we lost. It's not like they blew us out twice, and then we stole one.

Now--this coming week is the biggest one of the season to this point. FAU Wednesday, then the Noles come for the weekend. It's imperative if we want to stay in the national seed conversation that we win at least 3 of 4.

Advertisement
I'm glad we avoided disaster but I'd say if you're not worried about the post season, you should be. Without looking it up, I'd say our record against good teams is .500 ​at best.

I'm glad we avoided disaster but I'd say if you're not worried about the post season, you should be. Without looking it up, I'd say our record against good teams is .500 ​at best.

Worried as in making it or worried as in how they'll do?

I was also under the impression the RPI was a good indicator of the overall record and Miami sits at 3rd as of today...
If we lose to FAU and then don't take two of three from fsu then I'll be worried, but everybody is losing now that we're in the heart of conference play.

Advertisement

Worried as in making it or worried as in how they'll do?
I'm sure he means in terms how how we'll do. I think at this point with 30 wins and our RPI, we're in the postseason. No doubt about that. We're playing for position now.

I was also under the impression the RPI was a good indicator of the overall record and Miami sits at 3rd as of today...
If we lose to FAU and then don't take two of three from fsu then I'll be worried, but everybody is losing now that we're in the heart of conference play.
All true. I think the greater point is that UVA, while they've been hampered this year by injuries, is still a good ballclub. They're getting healthy, and they'll be a tough 2 or 3 seed depending upon how they finish up in someone's Regional. We're talking about a team that is getting it's pieces back that was 3rd in most preseason polls. Losing 2 tight games and then taking the 3rd game to avoid a sweep on the road against a team like that isn't exactly horrible.

And Louisville/UF are ranked 4th and 6th on D1Baseball's poll right now. I'm not excusing losing to either of those teams, but they're no slouches either.

Morris needs to coach these guys up (and yes, I'm doubtful of his abilities at this stage of his career)...but he has to stress to these guys how important this week is to the postseason and our positioning. This week is going to prepare us for the postseason, good or bad. May as well win and make it good. Concentrate on playing sound baseball, trust your tools, and get locked in & focused on the job at hand. If he can steer them in that kind of direction, we'll be fine and may surprise some folks this week with a 3-1 or 4-0 showing. If he doesn't, we'll limp to 2-2 or 1-3. At this point, it's on him.

If he doesn't, we'll limp to 2-2 or 1-3. At this point, it's on him.

Please. As much as I am ready for the next coach to come in, no coach can just will his team to victory against a top ten team. Do you not think that Mike Martin's staff is telling their players to concentrate on playing sound baseball, trust their tools, and get locked in and focused on the job at hand?

If he doesn't, we'll limp to 2-2 or 1-3. At this point, it's on him.

Please. As much as I am ready for the next coach to come in, no coach can just will his team to victory against a top ten team. Do you not think that Mike Martin's staff is telling their players to concentrate on playing sound baseball, trust their tools, and get locked in and focused on the job at hand?
Again, nice one, QueenOfStrawmen.

No, you dolt...I wouldn't think that a coach like Mike Martin wouldn't be trying to coach his guys up too. Why would I ever think something that crazy. He's only a HOF coach who has his team ranked ahead of ours right now. What a dumbass criticism. My comments on Morris coaching our guys up were based on two things that are immutably true:

1) You control your team as skipper, and it is YOUR job prepare them to the best of your abilities for big moments like this week's slate.
2) The lack of 1) in the past few years by Morris.

And that is why this is on Morris to do. It's time for him to press the right buttons and make it work. If he doesn't (as has been the case in our collapses in the past few years), it's squarely on him. And that shouldn't be forgotten, even if we hit 45+ wins this year. While that would be very nice, if we don't make it to Omaha--it's time to let someone else take the helm who can press those right buttons as a skipper to get us to Omaha.

That doesn't sound any better. You are still making it sound as though Jim Morris and his coaching abilities will determine the outcome of this series, like the other team is just going to sit back and let us do what we want.

Advertisement
Back