85 Scholarships, 25 per year and Transfer Portal

Advertisement
Yes... the rule this year is the normal rules for the 25 counter plus you can take an additional transfer for every player you lose to the portal up to 7. It's very likely we lose at least 7 players to the portal which means we should have 7 transfer only slots plus 25 high school or transfer slots.

I know that we currently have 8 commits, but I am not sure how if we have any players on the team that count against this year's initial counters (the new Australian punter?) - assuming no one currently counts against this year and the 8 commits stick, we have a total of 24 additional slots left.

Yes... the rule this year is the normal rules for the 25 counter plus you can take an additional transfer for every player you lose to the portal up to 7. It's very likely we lose at least 7 players to the portal which means we should have 7 transfer only slots plus 25 high school or transfer slots.

I know that we currently have 8 commits, but I am not sure how if we have any players on the team that count against this year's initial counters (the new Australian punter?) - assuming no one currently counts against this year and the 8 commits stick, we have a total of 24 additional slots left.
7 will easily happen. We’re at 4 currently with more to come. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s ten or more.

7 will easily happen. We’re at 4 currently with more to come. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s ten or more.

Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

Advertisement
I wasn’t counting all of them , so 7-8 is where we sit now currently. I said it would be a lot lol

****, I didn't see the Gurvan Hall and Jennings announcement before posting. So add them and we're already at 8.

Agree with you that there are more to come. You have the intel, but just based on past history in these types of situations, I bet we see at least another 8.

Advertisement
They already announced that we’re gonna bring in a small recruit class and go portal heavy. I’m guessing it’s gonna be a mixture or multiple year eligibility and grad transfer.

They already announced that we’re gonna bring in a small recruit class and go portal heavy. I’m guessing it’s gonna be a mixture or multiple year eligibility and grad transfer.
My question is, are we even going to be able to land any difference makers from the portal? We need more than a handful of jags…

Last edited:

Brown, Oluwaseun, and Foley all count toward the 25. So we're at 22. But we've already lost 7+ to the portal. So I think we can add as many as 29 more players. Sounds like we'll need them, but I do like being picky.

Advertisement
My question is, are we going to be able to land
any difference makers from the portal. We need more than a handful of jags…
There’s a couple dudes there right now that can be difference makers.

Naveteque Strong
Eric Gilyard
Josh Moore
Curtis dunlap
simi Moala
Eric Taylor
Jalen Burger

That who’s there now too. It’s obviously going to grow.

There’s a couple dudes there right now that can be difference makers.

Naveteque Strong
Eric Gilyard
Josh Moore
Curtis dunlap
simi Moala
Eric Taylor
Jalen Burger

That who’s there now too. It’s obviously going to grow.
Fair enough. I don’t like our chances, though. We’re going to be competing against everyone, and if Mandy is still here, we’re fvcked.

It's going to burn them. Then again, they can't evaluate and develop talent, so probably not the worst approach. Regardless, this is going to impact the next staff.

Advertisement
Ahh, well on the way for roster management to be FUBAR…the idiots running UM is hilarious

I have a feeling that this will work out better for other teams than for us. We seem to evaluate poorly and will be stuck with portal kids that couldn’t cut it elsewhere or they wouldn’t be looking (with a couple of exceptions). We also will end up showing some talent to the door due to an unwritten policy of getting the older player more snaps until the fanbase and media point out deficiencies at a high level or they get injured and we can then replace with more talented youth.

Further perplexing is the silence around the future moves of the administration. I get that Manny being in or out could be potentially damaging depending upon how you look at it, but being completely ambivalent about his status is more of a death spiral to recruiting (portal kids or incoming freshmen). Further belying the issue is the status of Blake James (the more important to announce imo). At least if he were viewed as being out of the door and releasing a strong statement about finding an AD with a commitment to winning cultures, especially in the top 3 sports of Football, Basketball and Baseball, we can at least check one of the boxes of uncertainty that could ultimately benefit us by being more attractive to talent despite what Manny’s future may hold. Getting snippets of Highsmith on the sidelines during an irrelevant game is hardly enough smoke for one outside of the program to infer change is coming.

Nebraska published an empty statement of Scott Frost being the coach for next year and being committed to making the football team better. Ours would at least spell out what we feel is the obvious with BJ, so why not do it? And to wait for a formal BOT meeting for around the Duke game is awful timing given when kids are considering their next schools after the first term is completed. The majority of decisions will have already been made by then. So why not get together and take action so as to publicly announce the first domino to fall?

We have more than two weeks of season before we can expect any announcement and I believe this is a massive mistake. We are such amateurs at the top, it’s ridiculous.

Advertisement
Back