8 million NIL deal shiiiiiiiiiit

BeastMode

Junior
777B9BF8-4AE2-4910-A020-78AF6BDA54F8.webp

Advertisement
Advertisement
So is the kid on the hook to go to this school since he obviously isn't signed or anything? I imagine the contract is just void if he doesn't sign there?

And wouldn't a NIL deal disqualify him from high school play? I though the high school state associations didn't allow the NIL deals

Advertisement
So is the kid on the hook to go to this school since he obviously isn't signed or anything? I imagine the contract is just void if he doesn't sign there?

And wouldn't a NIL deal disqualify him from high school play? I though the high school state associations didn't allow the NIL deals
He won’t actually get the deal until he enrolls in college.

On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”

Advertisement
Lawyer Mike Caspino, who drafted the contract, allowed The Athletic to review and verify the contract in exchange for keeping the player and collectives’ identities anonymous. It provides a window into how donor-driven third parties tied to specific schools operate.

“There’s an element of trust there,” Caspino said in regards to a collective offering that much money with no written assurance the athlete will sign with the donors’ school come December.

But in exchange for receiving his lucrative advances, the player hands over to the collective exclusive rights to use of his NIL, which would then negotiate outside opportunities on his behalf. In theory, that could dissuade him from entering the transfer portal, as he would not be able to make paid appearances promoting his next school.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back