2016 Carol City WR Steven Newbold

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
I haven’t stressed it enough, but 2016 Carol City wide receiver Steven Newbold is an absolute stud. I haven’t seen a player with his confidence, speed and athletic ability in a while. Him and Buckshot Calvert are going to make a lot of noise in that district this year that features Northwestern and Central and I expect them to push for the playoffs. He made a play where he burned the defensive back, pointed at him while running and then landed a perfect front flip into the end zone as a celebration. He’s a team leader, he plays with an intense passion and every school will be knocking on his door come next year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know we hard on Bruce and Mullins, but how hard is the staff on Newbold? Considering the size at WR we bringing in, some smaller speedsters would be welcomed additions, especially Bruce. We can't miss out on another local stud. The vibe I get is that we most likely get Mullins. Who do you sense the staff wants most? In order of desire please.

Newbold is can't miss. Like Tito said and I have said before. That kid is electric. Might not have the same size as Coley. But he is phenomenal. The speed, the moves. Everything is there. He might grow a little too. About 5'10"-5'11" right now.

We also have to see what happens with Bruce this Friday.

Mullins we look in good shape for now. Visited a lot recently and one of his coaches he is very close to is on staff now.

Advertisement
I know we hard on Bruce and Mullins, but how hard is the staff on Newbold? Considering the size at WR we bringing in, some smaller speedsters would be welcomed additions, especially Bruce. We can't miss out on another local stud. The vibe I get is that we most likely get Mullins. Who do you sense the staff wants most? In order of desire please.

I put up a list of the legit prospects we are in it for, for the 2016 receivers.

Sam Bruce
Nate Craig(ATH)
Michael Irvin Jr.
Brandon Johnson
Dymond Lee
Dionte Mullins(ATH)
Steven Newbold
Freddie Pinder
Cavin Ridley(ATH)
Darnell Salomon
Dredrick Snelson
Binjimen Victor

But of those 3 you asked. I would say in this order.

1. Mullins
2. Bruce
3. Newbold

If Newbold was more well known of like Bruce. I would put Newbold in front of Bruce. Bruce is a little more proven. But both are top notch. I put Mullins #1 due to, he's a freak athlete and can play multiple positions.

It's kinda hard to make a list out of all the ones I listed. Really is what the staff is looking to take and what they want.

---------

EDITED

Now looking back on it, as the more I saw of the 3 of them and everyone knows how high I have become on Newbold through the months and how he became my favorite for 2016 recruits.

1. Newbold
2. Mullins
3. Bruce

Last edited:
Miami will have a big WR class in 2016 like 5-6 WRs

That I would agree with. Could see anywhere from 5-7

Possibly some would be in the athlete category too, that can play other positions.

Their is two cane legacies. Irvin and Johnson. Both are legit. So that's a given, both have offers too.

Cane connection with the Lee kid from Cali being Kaayas friend and favorite target.

This Friday could give us an indication how we look with Bruce. Could possibly commit to us.

Were in good shape for Mullins and Newbold.

As well as Snelson. Think their is more to him not being committed.

Ridley likes the U. But a lot factors in with his brother Calvin and buddy Burgess-Becker in '15. So that's up in the air at the moment.

Also in good shape for two skyscrapers who stretch the field in Victor and Pinder.

Salomon I really see no shot at.

Craig I don't see it happening but who knows. Maybe if Shavar Manuel ends up a Cane could be a pull to reel in Craig, both from Tampa area. Don't see it right now though.

Regardless if we miss on some or pass on some. Their is no way we can fail in '16 at wide receiver.

Remember for the 2015 season.

Stacy will be a junior and he's most likely a 3 and done

Waters a senior

Lewis will be a redshirt junior.

Those are the most likely starters in 2015 season. Stacy and Waters on the outside and Lewis in slot.

Then after that, no one with proven game experience yet in

Jones - rs junior
Berrios - rs freshman or soph
Gray - rs freshman or soph
Brady - rs freshman or soph
Langham - rs freshman or soph
Spence - freshman
Gosier - freshman
Ridley? - freshman
Peete? - freshman

Ridley and Peete obviously hypothetically.

We do need to stock up in '16. After 2015 season it's going to be pretty open. Possibly only returning starter would be Lewis for 2016 season. I doubt Coley will be here all 4 years.

Also with a logjam of players at a position you do need to expect some might transfer. It always happens. Or some might end up at another position aka Gray might end up at RB or defense before it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Possibly some would be in the athlete category too, that can play other positions.

Their is two cane legacies. Irvin and Johnson. Both are legit. So that's a given, both have offers too.

Cane connection with the Lee kid from Cali being Kaayas friend and favorite target.

This Friday could give us an indication how we look with Bruce. Could possibly commit to us.

As well as Snelson. Think their is more to him not being committed. Believe we have guys higher on our board.

Ridley likes the U. But a lot factors in with his brother Calvin and buddy Burgess-Becker in '15. So that's up in the air at the moment.

Also in good shape for two skyscrapers who stretch the field in Victor and Pinder.

Craig I don't see it happening but who knows. Maybe if Shavar Manuel ends up a Cane could be a pull to reel in Craig, both from Tampa area. Don't see it right now though.

Regardless if we miss on some or pass on some. Their is no way we can fail in '16 at wide receiver.

Waters a senior

Those are the most likely starters in 2015 season. Stacy and Waters on the outside and Lewis in slot.

Jones - rs junior
Spence - freshman
Gosier - freshman
Ridley? - freshman
Peete? - freshman

We do need to stock up in '16. After 2015 season it's going to be pretty open. Possibly only returning starter would be Lewis for 2016 season. I doubt Coley will be here all 4 years.

Also with a logjam of players at a position you do need to expect some might transfer. It always happens. Or some might end up at another position aka Gray might end up at RB or defense before it's all said and done.
he'll of breakdown geo thanks

Advertisement
Landing WR Binjimen Victor and his teammate CB Malek Young. Both from coconut creek for 2016, will go a long way and give us a great chance and landing 2017 stud WR Emannuel Greene.

That coconut creek area really turning out some legit players. Monarch and Creek are LEGIT now. Really need to dive in that talent pool in the area.

As well as Snelson. Think their is more to him not being committed. Believe we have guys higher on our board.

Waters a senior

Jones - rs junior
Spence - freshman
Gosier - freshman
Ridley? - freshman
Peete? - freshman

Larry Scott recruits the Tampa area like a boss, if anyone can get us a shot with Craig it's him

Advertisement
I haven’t seen a player with his confidence, speed and athletic ability in a while.

he have a leader? ..and youre saying he's a better prospect than Stacey Coley?

No and no, because Coley has better size and speed.

sorry, I just had to
Me personally , I would say if he doesn't have the same speed then at the least it's a slight hair under Coley. Looks a little more slippery though.

But their is things Coley does that I don't think other receivers in the country can do. He has it all and he's building strength.

Steve could grow to Coleys size. Even though Coley not the tallest to begin with, about 6'1".

Remember, Steve is just going into his junior year. Could grow just a bit more. Newbold about 5'10"-5'11" and between 170-180 right now.

Wouldn't say they're the same as players. But they have that electric, score from anywhere ability. Newbold attitude towards the game reminds me of Coley. Tons of confidence, but backs it up. Some similarities in their game but they are a bit different in style. A good comparison to Coleys game is Calvin Ridley.

Either way. Their all nice. My favorite still goes to Coley. Coley truly is from another planet. Really think he's a once a decade type of player. No knock on Newbold or Ridley at all.

Last edited:
1st time I saw Coley was that 7 on 7 tryout vs Tracy Howard. Coley, then a sophomore, absolutely Mossed him. It looked real bad, too. I knew then that Coley was "just different".

Advertisement
Back