Denzel Perryman ranked the #1 prospect at ILB for 2015

He would be a 3rd round pick at best in this draft. Chris Borland is the better player right now, for example.

Borland also runs a 4.83. And even though Borland (who I like) is always around the ball, he misses his fair share of tackles with his T-Rex arms. Perryman rarely leaves tackles on the field.

I agree with you on most of our guys but not Perryman. He is a run-and-hit monster with good instincts and explosive power. I see him going in the second round and outplaying his draft position. My only question is whether he will stay bulked up or shed some weight and move back to WILL.

Advertisement
Think he needs to drop about 10lbs and add some flexibility or else he's going to be a 2 down LB in the NFL.

Not buying this hype at all. Perryman is getting the early attention from scouts because he makes highlight-reel plays but once his film gets broken down in-depth he will drop in the rankings. His instincts, pursuit angles and man/zone coverage skills all need work. It doesn't help your NFL projection when you're short with small arms either. He would be a 3rd round pick at best in this draft. Chris Borland is the better player right now, for example.

Also keep in mind that Perryman is currently the #1 Senior prospect. There could be 100 juniors declaring next year for all we know, although it doesn't look like the ILB class will be very deep regardless.

I've posted this in the past. granted it's a single game look at Perryman by the Detroit Lions. It breaks down some of his plays from the Uf game and they seem to disagree with you and the others who say Perryman doesn't have instincts and lacks coverage skills. It's a pretty good breakdown and worth a look.

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/09/scouting-breakdown-denzel-perryman/#more-1895

Not buying this hype at all. Perryman is getting the early attention from scouts because he makes highlight-reel plays but once his film gets broken down in-depth he will drop in the rankings. His instincts, pursuit angles and man/zone coverage skills all need work. It doesn't help your NFL projection when you're short with small arms either. He would be a 3rd round pick at best in this draft. Chris Borland is the better player right now, for example.

Also keep in mind that Perryman is currently the #1 Senior prospect. There could be 100 juniors declaring next year for all we know, although it doesn't look like the ILB class will be very deep regardless.

Are you talking about All ACC, First Team, Defensive MVP Perryman? If so, he did a helluva lot more than just highlight reel plays with little or no help from his D-Line.

He would be a 3rd round pick at best in this draft. Chris Borland is the better player right now, for example.

Borland also runs a 4.83. And even though Borland (who I like) is always around the ball, he misses his fair share of tackles with his T-Rex arms. Perryman rarely leaves tackles on the field.

I agree with you on most of our guys but not Perryman. He is a run-and-hit monster with good instincts and explosive power. I see him going in the second round and outplaying his draft position. My only question is whether he will stay bulked up or shed some weight and move back to WILL.

The latter, I think.

You know where I stand:

Advertisement
I love Perryman, but his height is going to scare teams away.

How many LBs under six feet tall get drafted these days? (I'm assuming that since he's LISTED at 6'0 on the roster, he's probably barely 5'10)

More talented version of this former killian cougar:

Same height and weight, but Denzel will put up better numbers at the combine. In college, both played at the mike and outside.

23.jpg

24.jpg

I think DP is a legit 5'11, which ain't tall - but certainly tall enough to get drafted in round 2.

I think DP is a legit 5'11, which ain't tall - but certainly tall enough to get drafted in round 2.

How many LBs under 6'0 have been drafted that high recently? No LB under 6'0 was even drafted in 2013.

Mychal Kendricks was a 2nd rounder in 2012, no other sub-six footers the rest of 2012 though.

I'm not saying it's impossible, Perryman certainly has every on the field tool needed to be a monster, it's just that teams put such insane importance on size when it comes to the draft.

Advertisement
I think LB's like Perryman are becoming less coveted just like RB's are. It's a passing league and very few teams are gonna line-up and pound the rock. If the league was still ground-and-pound then LB's like Perryman would have more value. However, the league has changed and a short LB is a liability in pass coverage. They cover much less space and are alot easier to complete passes around and/or over.

Perryman is a throwback Linebacker IMO. Compact, stocky, very physical, huge hitter.

Why would anybody pick Perryman in the earlier rounds when they can pick a Linebacker who's 6'1"+ with similar athleticism? If Perryman was head-and-shoulders above those other guys, then yes, but he hasn't shown that.

Advertisement
I think LB's like Perryman are becoming less coveted just like RB's are. It's a passing league and very few teams are gonna line-up and pound the rock. If the league was still ground-and-pound then LB's like Perryman would have more value. However, the league has changed and a short LB is a liability in pass coverage. They cover much less space and are alot easier to complete passes around and/or over.

Perryman is a throwback Linebacker IMO. Compact, stocky, very physical, huge hitter.

Why would anybody pick Perryman in the earlier rounds when they can pick a Linebacker who's 6'1"+ with similar athleticism? If Perryman was head-and-shoulders above those other guys, then yes, but he hasn't shown that.

I'd take him in the third and consider him a value pick. He might be picked in the 2nd and still likely produce up to expectation. Coverage LBs are the thing now, no doubt, but instincts go a long way. I think Perryman has looked worse here than what he is capable of doing. Actually, I know he has looked worse here because he's often tackling a wrecking ball after it's already rolling downhill.

Advertisement

I'd take him in the third and consider him a value pick. He might be picked in the 2nd and still likely produce up to expectation. Coverage LBs are the thing now, no doubt, but instincts go a long way. I think Perryman has looked worse here than what he is capable of doing. Actually, I know he has looked worse here because he's often tackling a wrecking ball after it's already rolling downhill.

Yep. Imagine what he'll be able to do when he can turn himself loose surrounded by attackers in a sound defense. He may go 2 or 3 round, but his stock will soar in the league once he gets there and gets a package a la Shields..hopefully.

Definitely a value pick.

I think he'll do well in the league, especially if he's placed into a system that will allow him to shine.

Advertisement
Back