D$'s Post-Season Top Prospects in Dade/Broward: 10-6

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Over the past three years, I’ve been lucky enough to see Dade and Broward’s best compete on the gridiron, at camps and at 7-on-7s. The list below is my personal opinion, and I don’t speak for Peter, Tito, Glory, Cam or Nash. All forty times are verified by SPARQ. This list only includes seniors from Dade and Broward County.

10. Anthony Moten, DT, St. Thomas Aquinas- 6’4, 292 pounds, 5.12 (Miami)

Complete defensive line prospect. A 3-4 end in high school, Moten has the length and strength for two-gapping and the athleticism of a penetrating three-technique. The thing that stands out about Moten is his quickness off the snap. Very good motor and conditioning for a big man. Has held a Miami offer since his sophomore year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0y0HtKLx7U

9. Joseph Yearby, RB, Central- 5’9, 180 pounds, 4.58 (Miami)

One of the most productive backs to ever come out of Florida. Yearby showed more speed as a senior and upped his yards per carry from 6.8 to 9.6. Exceptional feet and vision reminiscent of Gio Bernard and Warrick Dunn. Yearby also has many of the same intangible qualities that Duke Johnson had. When Central needed a quarterback, Yearby stepped up and got the job done. When he got hurt, the entire community (including opponents) rallied around him. Central doesn’t use Yearby much in the passing game, but he proved on the camp circuit that he can be special in that area as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40AjzMspcQ

8. Trevor Darling, OT, Central- 6’5, 330 pounds, 5.73 (Miami)

The cornerstone of one of the greatest rushing attacks in South Florida history. Darling has all the natural tools to become a DJ Fluker-type road grader: long arms, a huge base and a nasty disposition. Very coachable. Denver Kirkland was a freshman All-American in 2013, and Darling is a better player at the same age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa0Ff9KVtmU

7. Ermon Lane, WR, Homestead- 6’2, 196 pounds, 4.52 (Uncommitted)

Three-time All-Dade performer who is ready to move on to the next level. Lane didn’t have a great senior year, but he proved he was one of the best receivers in the nation at the Opening and the Under Armour Game. My take is that he got frustrated by losing and watching so many of his teammates transfer to rival South Dade. At his best, he is a game-changer with speed (4.52 laser-timed), size and the ability to high point the football. The better the competition, the better Lane performs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NqcvdybqYY

6. Sean White, QB, University- 6’1, 199 pounds, 5.05 (Auburn)

All this guy does is prove himself. Balled at Chaminade. Won the Elite 11. Won the Opening 7-on-7. Balled at University. Won the Under Armour Skills Challenge. Won the Under Armour Game MVP. It’s amazing that White has so much success in shorts, because his best attributes come out in full pads. White is as tough as anybody and has excellent mobility in and around the pocket. Excels at bucket throws. Gus Malzahn has built his offense around passing quarterbacks before, and there aren’t many in the country better than Sean White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyw1lv7-hG0

Advertisement
The list so far:

6. Sean White
7. Ermon Lane
8. Trevor Darling
9. Joseph Yearby
10. Anthony Moten
11. Treon Harris
12. Quinton "Winky" Flowers
13. Trayon Gray
14. Ravian Pierce
15. Isaiah McKenzie
16. John Battle IV
17. Mike Smith
18. Brandon Powell
19. Peyton Bender
20. Corey Holmes
21. CJ Worton
22. Juwan Dowels
23. Madre London
24. Tyre Brady
25. George Rushing
26. Deatrick Nichols
27. Nigel Bethel
28. Khairi Clark
29. Lamar Parker
30. Quincy Wilson
31. Chris Taylor
32. Chris Lammons
33. JoJo Robinson
34. Edgar Cerenord
35. A'lique Terry

SLEEPERS
Tevin Evans
Osband Thompson
Kahlil Render
Frank Newman
Reginald Bain

35-31: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/...Dade%2FBroward
30-26: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/...Dade%2FBroward
25-21- http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/...-Broward-25-21
20-16: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/...-Broward-20-16
15-11: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/73059-D-s-Post-Season-Top-Prospects-in-Dade-Broward-15-11
Sleepers: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/...Dade%2FBroward

Dmoney, you got some explainin' to do with havin' Ermon Lane at #7, playa. Is this list based on career accomplishments or this year alone? Im not hatin' on the kid but he wasnt even a top 10 kid in Dade this year. He had the target on his back and didnt step up. JMO. I need some more explanation on this one.

Dmoney, you got some explainin' to do with havin' Ermon Lane at #7, playa. Is this list based on career accomplishments or this year alone? Im not hatin' on the kid but he wasnt even a top 10 kid in Dade this year. He had the target on his back and didnt step up. JMO. I need some more explanation on this one.

It's about projecting into college. I take his whole career into account and his physical skillset. This guy has been extremely productive for a long time, so I'm not going to write him off for a bad year.

IMO, Lane mentally checked out of high school when his teammates transferred to the eventual state champion across the street. When he went against the top guys (the Opening, Under Armour), he looked like one of the best players in the country. I expect that to continue at the college level.

Advertisement
So Cook is numero uno and chad numero duce? I want to see how many we have committed in the top 10, it should always be 6 or 7 a year if we want to be elite again. D$ what do you think? very year the top 10 dade/Bro players go elsehere, is it me or Miami should seal the deal yearly with at least 6 to 7 of those top player nd get 3 of 5 out of the top 5 yearly.

It's about projecting into college. I take his whole career into account and his physical skillset. This guy has been extremely productive for a long time, so I'm not going to write him off for a bad year.

IMO, Lane mentally checked out of high school when his teammates transferred to the eventual state champion across the street. When he went against the top guys (the Opening, Under Armour), he looked like one of the best players in the country. I expect that to continue at the college level.

We will agree to disagree. I definitely respect your opinion. Maybe my expectations of this kid were way too high..especially when you had cats like Luke saying he could go to the NFL straight his HS. And his game against MNW last year was epic. So I expected alot more and he seemed to have ZERO mental toughness. Just seems like the kind of kid when the going gets tough, he is ghost. Thats not top 10 in SoFla worthy IMO. Look at Trayone Gray. Buddy knew that CC was outmatched in mostly all there games but he balled out none the less. And stepped it up even more when they played the big dogs.

I like the kid and all but I will be interested to see how his lack of mental toughness translates to big time college ball.

Lane is gonna prove people wrong here, with the right
qb hes gonna b a great wr watch, its how u project in college not hs stats. Its like Yearby has more yards than Cook but Cook projects better at the next level its that easy, I like Yearby but sony and cook will be better college backs. Lane is gonna do work with Winston watch.....also a lot of people are high on D Jckson cause of his projection at the college level. Dude is huge and talented and people like me wont be shocked when he probably winds up better than Chd when its all said and done. its the size and speed u cant teach and if u have it u have it everything else can be taught tht cant.

Advertisement
my guess:

1. Cook - a crazy combination of size and speed at the RB position that hasn't been seen in SFL since Willis... he will however go on to become a Semenhole, and as history shows, no semenhole EVER develops into an elite NFL caliber RB.....

2. Chad - the leader of the #1 team in the nation and leader of this class. An example of what a elite local prospect should be.....UNWAVERING in his commitment to get this program back to where it belongs, atop college football

3. Valentine - possibly the best DT in the nation in our own back yard, and he has the grimy, filthy animal attitude that prospects like Marcus Forston never possessed (if the list was out of need, he'd be #1)

4. D. Jackson - maybe not above Chad now, but when you project their ceiling.... D. Jackson can be #1 on this list

5. Sony - showed he's back in the playoffs and I STILL CANT BELEIVE HE'S NOT GONNA BE A CANE! And I'm not getting over it for a while. Cook, I get.... SONY leaving is still crazy to me..

D. Jackson may have the most upside in the country. Kid has barely played football and is a physical freak.

my guess:

1. Cook - a crazy combination of size and speed at the RB position that hasn't been seen in SFL since Willis... he will however go on to become a Semenhole, and as history shows, no semenhole EVER develops into an elite NFL caliber RB.....

2. Chad - the leader of the #1 team in the nation and leader of this class. An example of what a elite local prospect should be.....UNWAVERING in his commitment to get this program back to where it belongs, atop college football

3. Valentine - possibly the best DT in the nation in our own back yard, and he has the grimy, filthy animal attitude that prospects like Marcus Forston never possessed (if the list was out of need, he'd be #1)

4. D. Jackson - maybe not above Chad now, but when you project their ceiling.... D. Jackson can be #1 on this list

5. Sony - showed he's back in the playoffs and I STILL CANT BELEIVE HE'S NOT GONNA BE A CANE! And I'm not getting over it for a while. Cook, I get.... SONY leaving is still crazy to me..

I will take 3 out of 4 all day, everyday. (And yes, I think TV is coming back)

D-Money I like how you pointed out how Yearby's ypc jumped from 6.8 to 9.6.

A buddy of mine is a recruiting coordinator at a smaller school and would tell me all the time that elite HS backs at a minimum should average 10 ypc. His reasoning being that the good guys in college average around 5 ypc. So if a HS back is anywhere around 5 ypc then something is missing because he should be breaking off HS kids. I kinda think other factors have to be taken into consideration too but its a good point when you think about it.

Advertisement
Jackson's upside is insane but I'm not as convinced as everyone else that he's going to hit that ceiling. Awesome list so far though, thnx D$.

-Sean white is the most interesting player in so.fla
-Lane will hurt (kid is a beast)
-my list goes 5) D.jack 4) Valentine 3)Cook 2)Chad 1)Sony
-top 4 is splitting hairs

Jackson's upside is insane but I'm not as convinced as everyone else that he's going to hit that ceiling. Awesome list so far though, thnx D$.

usually, I'd agree, cause although a prospect with that kind ceiling will posses height, frame, and speed, they usually lack either the necessary work ethic, motor or willingness to play very physical. But, He doesn't seem to lack any of that... He plays angry, doesn't take plays off, works hard, plays multiple sports at a high level and is a great student too.

Advertisement

usually, I'd agree, cause although a prospect with that kind ceiling will posses height, frame, and speed, they usually lack either the necessary work ethic, motor or willingness to play very physical. But, He doesn't seem to lack any of that... He plays angry, doesn't take plays off, works hard, plays multiple sports at a high level and is a great student too.

He's light in the britches enough that it's going to take 2 years in the weight room before he's ready to do what we'll ask him to do. Sometimes those kids do stick with it and end up being stars in years 3-5 but that seems to happen less and less that I notice around CFB. His get-off isn't elite enough to displace a guy like AQM or McCord on passing downs in the meantime either, I don't think.

Again - don't misunderstand - he has a GREAT toolset and should be a **** good football player, but 1-5 in Dade/Broward is rarefied air. He's a #5 type *if* he absolutely hits his ceiling, but that's a gamble.

The 2nd all-time leading rusher in Dade County is getting disrespected IMO.

Having only 6 Canes is horrid.

Thanks D$.

my guess:

yeah I doubt Jackson is top 5. It'll bee Cook, Chad, Sony, TV, Scarlet

Advertisement
Back