#7 Illinois on 3/24; Tip off at 8:40pm on TNT

Consigliere

All-American
UI is 23-12 (8-10), they are 6-4 in their last 10. They just beat #10 Seed Colorado. During the year they beat #10 Gonzaga, #8 Minn, #1 Indiana and #18 Minn. UI made the tourney because they beat some good teams during the year. They actually had a losing record in the BIG-10 and finished behind Iowa (Iowa beat UI) during the regular season.

#40 RPI
#9 SOS

In general: UI is led by senior guard Brandon Paul who averages 17 PPG. In addition DJ Richardson and Tracy Abrams combine for 23 PPG. That is a lot of points by their guards. UI shoots 32.5% from the 3PT Line. UI averaged 69.1 PPG (69th overall) and allowed 65.3 PPG (71st overall). UI doesn't play great defense and allowed teams to score 43% of their field goals this year.

Versus CU: I only watched the second half of the UI v. CU game and it was bad. Huge scoring droughts combined with ugly play. UI was up 16 points at halftime and allowed CU to go on a 21-0 run. Yes a 21-0 run. UI took 32 of their 52 shots from the 3Point Line and they hit 8 of them 26%. They were out rebounded 34-31.

Versus Miami: This is a great match-up for our us because like Pacific they are undersized and really unable to take inside. If they shoot anything close to how they did against CU then they shouldn't show up. In fact Pacific shot better against us then UI did against CU.

What could concern you?

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 4h
Illinois will face Miami in Round of 32. Illinois leads Big Ten in 3-pt FGA. Miami's opponents are shooting 41% on 3-pt FG in last 7 games.

Early Spread: -6 Canes.

TO THE MODS, if you are going to edit my post please do it correctly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
With the greatest thread respect.....JUST WIN. Nice to have the warm up against Pacific. Now it gets real, gotta up the D against the 3...and not get tight out there tomorrow.

Tracy Abrams left their game last night looking pretty hobbled. I'm looking for any advantage so I hope it's something serious that keeps him out.

And I'll tell ya something else, that was a partisan crowd heavily in favor of Colorado last night. Tomorrow's game should feel a bit more neutral. The Canes fans in attendance need to represent.

Advertisement
Here is a season average comparison between the two teams. UI shooting % yesterday were well below their average.

PPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG TPG BPG
Miami 70 46% 36% 68% 36 11 6 11 5
UI 69 42% 33% 73% 34 10 7 12 4

Advertisement

It's generally -6.5 offshore while Las Vegas is majority -7. Opened as low as -5.

Dangerous game. Miami was rated higher than Illiinois in preseason, but not appreciably. The reference I use had Miami #28 and Illinois #37. That would align with a neutral court spread of Miami -2.

You always hope to draw an upstart stiff in this round, a team that was rated 100th or worse in preseason but managed to spring an upset in the first round. Invariably they can't sustain it, and are flattened. Arizona got to play preseason #133 Harvard today. Best of luck.

At least the Canes didn't have a terrible draw, and face someone in round two who was rated ahead of them in preseason. That's when it really gets dicey. Fans and commentators expect you to be better. As often as not, the opponent looks superior.

Advertisement
So we are a #2 seed. We blew out the 15 seed in our first game. Our second game is a Big Ten team which was the winner of the 7 vs. 10 matchup.

I'm having bad flashbacks to the 1999 Tournament. Hoping things go different this time around.

So we are a #2 seed. We blew out the 15 seed in our first game. Our second game is a Big Ten team which was the winner of the 7 vs. 10 matchup.

I'm having bad flashbacks to the 1999 Tournament. Hoping things go different this time around.

:eekeyes:

We should win, but Illinois is scaring me as the game gets closer because of how they live and die on the 3. They can get hot and just pull away.

Advertisement
Back