7-6, a Bronx Tale

Advertisement
Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

BTW, anyone else noticing what our former coordinator, Jedd 'the' Fisch is doing over at Arizona?

Fun, fast-paced, innovative football, and you can tell those players have fun playing that style of ball..
Not air raid so ppl here wouldn’t like it. Same way most on here probably didn’t like him when he was here.

Advertisement
The game was over when I saw this chubby 5’10” guard named Cristobal starting on the OL...pathetic really and the HC should be ashamed of himself.

The 2023 team was in the bottom quartile in penalties and turnovers committed. That’s a reflection on the HC lacking discipline and game awareness.

Until proven otherwise, the 2024 Mario Cristobal led team will more than likely finish 8-4 and lose its bowl game. The excuses next season will be ‘it’s a young team’ by many on this site and especially Zagacki and Bailey the two biggest excuse mongers.

Good times..

depleted team, poorly prepared will usually will lead to a loss. Rutgers was an inferior team but they were ready and exploited our weaknesses like the block punt that was coming all season long but hey we’re ready and got it. Definitely missed the safeties and LT. the Oline was bad today so we need the big boys playing and not Rodriguez and cristobal Hope fletcher is fine. Restrepo was player of the year with all due respect to Bain who was a monster all year long. Let’s see how we do next yr as we do have two solid classes and we can better assess the team and coaching.

Inferior team with a solid running back and their full roster as I believe the only one who sat the game out was one starting cornerback.

Miami was without Kinchens, Williams, Young, Chaney, Van Dyke, Flagg, Skinner, Taylor and lost Fletcher on the opening drive.

Had the Canes rolled out the same unit that played Boston College, they beat the brakes off Rutgers.

Roll out a slew of second and third stringers and you lose a close one with some sloppy play and a few mistakes. So it goes. Bring on 2024.

Advertisement
BTW, anyone else noticing what our former coordinator, Jedd 'the' Fisch is doing over at Arizona?

Fun, fast-paced, innovative football, and you can tell those players have fun playing that style of ball..

Agree, but he was also 1-11 year one and 5-7 in year two before he got his bearings in year three.

Curious to see what Miami looks like year three under Mario as that is usually when tides turn for good coaches; Sarkisian going 5-7 and 8-5 before stringing together 12-1 and a playoffs berth this year.

Agree, but he was also 1-11 year one and 5-7 in year two before he got his bearings in year three.

Curious to see what Miami looks like year three under Mario as that is usually when tides turn for good coaches; Sarkisian going 5-7 and 8-5 before stringing together 12-1 and a playoffs berth this year.
If I had to guess he will never lose a game ever again

Fire Guidry and Dawson

Dorsey OC, bring back Shannon as DC (I would also accept Ed Orgeron). Let's not half *** it anymore with our coaching staff, just go all-in with "UM GUYZ"
I was told leading up to Mario’s hire on here that it’s about the Jimmy and joes not the X’s and O’s.

What a frustrating season. Guidry isn’t the issue. You can’t compete for championships with a hc that is incapable of managing a game clock. It’s maddening.

Dorsey would be great but unless Mario adapts his style of in game coaching idk how much it matters who’s calling the o.

Why do we always suck on st?

That said I’m all in on Mario. I hope he will evolve from this and learn.

Advertisement
I was told leading up to Mario’s hire on here that it’s about the Jimmy and joes not the X’s and O’s.

What a frustrating season. Guidry isn’t the issue. You can’t compete for championships with a hc that is incapable of managing a game clock. It’s maddening.

Dorsey would be great but unless Mario adapts his style of in game coaching idk how much it matters who’s calling the o.

Why do we always suck on st?

That said I’m all in on Mario. I hope he will evolve from this and learn.

the other thing is with Mario, geez, he seems to like boring football. I mean, can we be real, if we weren't die-hard Miami fans, would we watch our games regularly? Seriously, we are a difficult watch...

Mario is a terrible HC, has no business making 8mil a year. literally every game he has been here has been exactly the same. He is a total fraud

Advertisement
So it's over. Miami's finishes the season at 7-6. Yeah, it is what it is. The Hurricanes ended the 2023 campaign with a 31-24 loss to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Early on the game looked like it would be a blowout for Rutgers as they raced to a 14-0 lead. Miami defenders seemed averse to contact whenever Kyle Monangai got the ball. But things settled down, and after a slow start, Jacurri Brown, started to lead the offense.

They actually had a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter. There was hope in Yankees Stadium that Miami would break their bowl drought, and hey, an eight win season is better than seven, right?

But alas, special teams blunders, ill-advised penalties, shoddy tackling and an offense that bogged down for much of the second half doomed them.

This season at one time held so much hope. And I don't want to make too much of this loss. The reality is that unless you're in the playoffs, bowl games dont mean much any more. The squads that you see from Labor Day weekend to Thanksgiving weekend, aren't the ones you're going to see in these corporately sponsored ballgames. With an influx of opt-outs all over the country, these games are really nothing more nowadays then an early extension of spring practice.

But once again the way this game was coached left a lot to be desired, and has you questioning certain aspects about Mario Cristobal's game management. Look, there's no questioning this guys ability to build a roster, and upgrade the talent, and create a solid culture.

However, the way he runs a game from the sideline has you questioning if he will always be a liability in a close game.

You can argue that him not calling a timeout on Rutgers last possession in the first half (which allowed a lot of time to run off the clock) was questionable. But the Miami offense was very methodical and perhaps he just wanted to make sure Miami got into the half down by just one possession, given the inexperience of his quarterback. OK, I can live with that.

But the lack of tempo on the drive where Miami was down 28-17 in the fourth quarter was maddening. Down two scores with under 11 minutes to go, if there was ever a time to go no-huddle and quicken the pace, it was at this point. Finally, at 31-17, the Hurricanes went tempo, and guess what, they were still grinding and methodical, as the took a lot of time off the clock.

Was that the slow-up, no-huddle offense?

It's why they had less than 30 seconds on the clock down by a touchdown after Tecory Couch recovered an onside kick. Then in the final maddening sequence, all four throws -- as they needed a touchdown -- were passes that were short of the sticks. Yeah, Cristobal is not the play caller, but at a certain point doesn't the staff have to let Brown know that they need to get the ball downfield just a little bit. Or, was he following their instructions?

The final completion from Brown to Xavier Restrepro was short of the first down, ending Miami's hopes. It was an appropriate ending for this game and season.

- Speaking of Restrepro, he had 11 catches for 99 yards, and a touchdown, to finish well over 1,000 yards. X put up one of the great statistical seasons in Miami history. Congratulations to him. I still don't get the derision he receives from a portion of the fan base. All this guy does is consistently produce and play hard. Is Miami really a better team without him moving forward?

- Rough day for Jacolby George. It wasn't just the lack of production ( 2 catches, 13 yards) but a series of key penalties that stifled a couple of drives. He also had a drop on a quick pop pass that looked to be set up for big yardage in the fourth quarter. George has been a productive player, but he's also been a petulant one at times who has hurt the team. Hey, you either coach it, or you allow it. Regardless, George really has to mature as a player moving forward.

- When I look back at this 2023 season, Rueben Bain will be one of the bright spots. This young man, who was the ACC Defensive Freshman of the Year, and made a slew of All-Freshman teams, was a consistent bright spot, and he surpassed all expectations in year one. We as a fan base better enjoy him, he wont be here for all four years (knock on wood). Bain gives us hope for the future.

- I have no idea where Brown stands on the quarterback pecking order at UM. Maybe this was his swan song. But I thought he showed some flashes, and over time he could develop into a really effective college quarterback. I was hoping to see some tempo to help him out, and spread things out a bit more, but maybe what was run today by Shannon Dawson is all that he's capable off at this juncture. You just wonder why we didn't see him sooner in the season, especially after his redshirt was preserved.

- Speaking of tempo, I thought Rutgers did a really nice job in employing it, as it kept Miami off-balance a bit defensively. You don't have to be Art Briles Baylor all the time, but mixing it in can really aid an offense.

- And there it is, another season in the books. I want to thank DMoney for allowing me to do this. It's been fun as always conversing with you guys. What do they say?

Misery loves company.
Several high profile Cane Commentators tried to warn us prior to Cristobal's hire ...

Yeah but are they fizzicul and moving people ? Thats much more fun than having fun scoring points and winning.

Advertisement
Back