Ok, just got back from the Chaminade-Serra game(Brad Kayaa).

k9cane

Senior
and I have to say it's one of the best high school games I've ever seen. And 'Handsome Brad Kayaa' showed something tonight. Yeah, stats are telling, but it's about leading and winning. Kayaa was that tonight, a guy who led and found a way to win. That Serra team( which blew out 'the Nade' 36-0 in their first match-up) was loaded, they have at least a dozen guy going to the next level led by Adoree Jackson, of course. That squad reminded me of those really good Long Beach Poly, Miami Northwester, Booker T. squads. Size, athleticism, nastiness and play-makers all over

Chaminade has some really good players, guys like Dymond Lee( who Kayaa Sr. made the Miami staff aware off) and Donovon Lee and a kid going to UCLA( the defensive back) but Kayaa was the glue tonight. What was impressive was how he hung in there, let plays develop, hit throws, but never, took a sack.

And the scary thing is, I actually think he's got a huge ceiling, his coach, Ed Croson, by nature is a very conservative, run-first-second-and-third coach and he's never thrown this much. Yet, he still has Kayaa run toss plays where he ends up blocking on the edge. It's not a QB-friendly system, per say, yet this kid shows flashes where you see the upside and the possibilities.

Down 35-21, Kayaa made some key throws and somehow beat a very talented Serra squad on a last second field goal, 38-35. I went to the game with his father and he told me on the way that the home visit with James Coley was very good. Angela Means told me afterwords that during this visit, 'HBK' told Coley,"I'm going to find a way to win this game." He wouldn't let his team down. That throw down the seam to Lee(#21) on 3rd down on that last drive was pure Jerry West.

-- One last note, that big WR, Breydon Lineas( someone may want to check my spelling) #81 was the toughest match-up on the field. He drew at least 4 pass interferences and I think this young man has a huge upside. He's already 6'4, about 220 and while a senior, he's just 16 years old. I can absolutely imagine in a few years being 6'6 and bulking up to 245 and again, in a different system where he's moved around, will be an absolute mis-match machine out wide and in the slot. He dropped one ball but overall, he was a problem that Serra never quite figured out. He was an X-factor.

Very nice kid, too.

- But what a night. I can't wait to see Kayaa wear the orange-and-green...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for the update. Sounds like we got a bigtime prospect and a great leader.

Thx for the update! Pops say anything about Brad making it in early?

and I have to say it's one of the best high school games I've ever seen. And 'Handsome Brad Kayaa' showed something tonight. Yeah, stats are telling, but it's about leading and winning. Kayaa was that tonight, a guy who led and found a way to win. That Serra team( which blew out 'the Nade' 36-0 in their first match-up) was loaded, they have at least a dozen guy going to the next level led by Adoree Jackson, of course. That squad reminded me of those really good Long Beach Poly, Miami Northwester, Booker T. squads. Size, athleticism, nastiness and play-makers all over

Chaminade has some really good players, guys like Dymond Lee( who Kayaa Sr. made the Miami staff aware off) and Donovon Lee and a kid going to UCLA( the defensive back) but Kayaa was the glue tonight. What was impressive was how he hung in there, let plays develop, hit throws, but never, took a sack.

And the scary thing is, I actually think he's got a huge ceiling, his coach, Ed Croson, by nature is a very conservative, run-first-second-and-third coach and he's never thrown this much. Yet, he still has Kayaa run toss plays where he ends up blocking on the edge. It's not a QB-friendly system, per say, yet this kid shows flashes where you see the upside and the possibilities.

Down 35-21, Kayaa made some key throws and somehow beat a very talented Serra squad on a last second field goal, 38-35. I went to the game with his father and he told me on the way that the home visit with James Coley was very good. Angela Means told me afterwords that during this visit, 'HBK' told Coley,"I'm going to find a way to win this game." He wouldn't let his team down. That throw down the seam to Lee(#21) on 3rd down on that last drive was pure Jerry West.

-- One last note, that big WR, Breydon Lineas( someone may want to check my spelling) #81 was the toughest match-up on the field. He drew at least 4 pass interferences and I think this young man has a huge upside. He's already 6'4, about 220 and while a senior, he's just 16 years old. I can absolutely imagine in a few years being 6'6 and bulking up to 245 and again, in a different system where he's moved around, will be an absolute mis-match machine out wide and in the slot. He dropped one ball but overall, he was a problem that Serra never quite figured out. He was an X-factor.

Very nice kid, too.

This is what has stood out to me as well. He's almost too good for his teammates and the system. I mean that in the best way possible. If Brad was playing QB for a team like Serra, he would be the number 1 QB prospect in the country. His receivers are good, but Brad is anticipates where they need to be often times finding that they aren't anticipating the same thing. Chaminade ran Newby (Nebraska) like 30-40 times per game last year, so this is really Brad's first year starting in an offense that throws the ball at all. The sky is the limit for him

Advertisement
When I first saw video of Kaaya many months ago, before he committed, he looked like no HS QB I had ever seen. Incredible accuracy, on every type of throw.

Very nice kid, too.

Brayden Lenius

Very nice kid, too.

K9-
Based on the last sentence in your post it seems like you think he sticks. What do you put the percentages at that he does? Are you a friend of the family or something that you went to the game with his father? Do you know what their thoughts are on the Sarkisian hire?

Great write-up K9. I look for these threads with the same excitement as Tito's, Playa Pete's, and Glory's. I appreciate what all of u do!

Advertisement

Very nice kid, too.

K9-
Based on the last sentence in your post it seems like you think he sticks. What do you put the percentages at that he does? Are you a friend of the family or something that you went to the game with his father? Do you know what their thoughts are on the Sarkisian hire?
not k9 but he has stated in other threads he thinks this is a very solid commitment.

141.gif

I still think Olsen gets our 6th NC, but Brad will bring our 3rd Heisman. But I have no problem with Brad winning the starting job next year. I think we are in good hands either way. I don't think Brad redshirts. He is too good, and Al will remember that a hurt QB is not too good. He will want two starters next year. Come on down Brad, the offense is loaded next year and you have not seen the likes of Stacy Coley, he cannot be covered.

Advertisement
The thing that most impressed me about Brad is he made those throws look so effortless and the balls that were overthrown someone with more speed could've probably caught them. It was a great game to watch.

Kaaya's form to me looks like Peyton Manning, not saying he"ll be that but thats who I see him most like

Peter,

Any chance we start recruiting Lenius? That kid stood out last night. He abuse Sierra's secondary. Plus, taking him deals Kaaya

Advertisement
k9, these sub-frequent updates are much appreciated. thanks for passing along the info that you receive.

Can you guys stop calling him "handsome Brad Kaaya", the nickname is awful. The kid doesn't like it. Great post btw

Can you guys stop calling him "handsome Brad Kaaya", the nickname is awful. The kid doesn't like it. Great post btw

wrong again I'm Butt Hurt , he actually told a reporter after the game "refer to me as Handsome Brad from now on please"

Advertisement
Back