What's Golden's vision for this defense?

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
I haven't been able to completely figure it out.

This post is mostly about the fronts, but I'll discuss LBs and DBs a little bit.

He's said many times that he wants to be "multiple" and he wants a "powerful" team. He's said, "It's no longer okay to be a 208-pound linebacker at the University of Miami."

He's also said we're more of a 3-4 team now (even though we haven't seen very many 50 fronts this year).

Based on recruiting from the 2012, 2013, and 2014 cycles, Golden wants a deep rotation of hybrid rushers and DTs that can play inside and outside. I've seen posters complain that guys like AQM, McCord, and presumably Chad Thomas (when he arrives) will be under-utilized because of our scheme. However, all of those guys were recruited by 3-4 teams (Bama and Notre Dame). They can play the Jack/Sam OLB roles, and play DE in pass-rushing situations. That keeps them on the field in a lot of packages.

Flash-forward to 2015.

Against conventional two-back offenses, I'd could see us lining up like this (some of the depths and spacings are wrong on the diagrams, but whatever):

22.png

That gives us run integrity up the middle, leverage to either side of the field, and pressure if teams try to throw the ball out of running formations. And all the hybrid guys we're bringing in are athletic enough to drop into coverage if need be.

When we go Nickel:

23.png

We still have our edge rushers on the field with two quick DTs inside. Also, a coverage LB like Grace could be subbed in for Figs.

If we go with a 4-3 Over look:

24.png

This gives us run/pass balance against several formations. Guys like AQM will be important in packages like this because they'll be the only edge rusher on the field. We currently have Shayon Green in this role, so things will look better with a more dynamic player there. Also, the DT/DE hybrid is crucial, too, because it helps immensely if he can give us outside pressure. Right now we have Chick/Robinson/Pierre in that role. Guys like Moten and Valentine would be huge if they developed into Muhammad Wilkerson-type guys who can pressure outside at 305-315 lbs.

In terms of being multiple, I think Golden wants to be able to move between 3, 4, and 5-man rushes while still applying pressure and maintaining run integrity. The DE/OLB hybrid role is relatively easy to fill in South Florida. The Nose Tackle and DT/DE roles aren't. At NT, you need a strong anchor who can eat up blocks. The challenge will be on Golden to identify these players at the high school and JUCO levels (and get them academically qualified!) At DT/DE, you gotta find a guy like Muhammad Wilkerson who has the strength and quickness to threaten inside and out. I understand guys like Wilkerson don't grow on trees, but let's face it, regardless of whatever scheme you run, you need NFL-caliber prospects up front if you're going to be a stout defense. Elite 4-3 guys like Dominique Easley or Barkevious Mingo don't grow on trees, either. They're almost equally rare. All of our great defenses had NFL-caliber talent up front.

As for the LBs, Golden is recruiting bigger LBs instead of trying to beef up 195-pound guys. Grace is the exception to the new paradigm, but he's got great football intelligence, and this defense cannot succeed without smart linebackers. The majority of our coverage busts have been because of the linebackers. Some call this a schematic flaw, but I just think our guys aren't "getting it" right now. That's a teaching problem. I don't know how to fix that, but that's just my take on what's up with that unit.

Golden seems to be recruiting taller, longer corners. Outside of Nigel Bethel, all the CBs are at least 5'11" or so with lanky frames that can pack on weight. He wants guys that can be physical and tackle in the flats, which is very important. Bigger guys would also suggest more jams. We haven't seen a ton of that, but the versatility is still there.

In closing, I just wanna clarify that I don't know ****. This is just how I THINK we MIGHT be building the defense. This isn't really about scheme, but more so recruiting philosophy and role archetypes. Some people have said Thomas is going to grow into the Chickillo role (which I don't think is a great idea) and Valentine will play nose (I don't think this is ideal, either). Could be.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
I don't WANT to be that guy but...

what does it matter if we're employing the worst scheme ever witnessed?

CotDAM, one of the bigger playmakers on the field this year still wont be able to start in TWO YEARS, McCord should transfer now...

Good post. Was wondering the same, what is the end game? We are recruiting a lot of hybrid DE/OLBs but at the moment we only use them on 3rd down. We have to get the difference makers on the field, have to get 2 of these guys on the field at all times.

AQM and McCord are both young so maybe they don't trust them yet. At least that is my hope.

I don't WANT to be that guy but...

what does it matter if we're employing the worst scheme ever witnessed?

Because I don't think it's the scheme. I think it's the implementation of the scheme.

Besides, I'm trying to get at what Golden's ideal is for this defense.

Advertisement
CotDAM, one of the bigger playmakers on the field this year still wont be able to start in TWO YEARS, McCord should transfer now...

I mentioned him in the post. He can start obviously. I just listed Thomas and AQM at those spots.

Good post. Was wondering the same, what is the end game? We are recruiting a lot of hybrid DE/OLBs but at the moment we only use them on 3rd down. We have to get the difference makers on the field, have to get 2 of these guys on the field at all times.

AQM and McCord are both young so maybe they don't trust them yet. At least that is my hope.

I think we'll get 2 of them on the field in most packages, but there will be some when there's only one.

Advertisement
Golden himself seems like he doesn't know his vision

I think the shift in recruiting points to something very specific. My guess is we just haven't seen full implementation yet.

I can see that we want to be a 3-4 team and our recruiting of hybrids shows that.

However, I don't know what his vision is for the back end of this defense. Will we continue to play in these soft zones keeping everything in front of us or will we play tighter coverage? Will we always play this bend and then break defense or will we play with some ******* balls?

The question isn't personnel, the question is philosophy. Is playing soft, *****-Temple defense in their DNA or will they (Doritio and Goldens) call plays with confidence?

I hope so. If we do, there will be a slight change in philosophy. If we put AQM in Greens spot and McCord in Cornelius or visa versa, neither guy can handle what we currently ask Cornelius to do and would waste their talents.

Really curious to see what we do in the future. The recruiting points to something we aren't doing currently.

Also, not surprising a good thought provoking subject has little response.

Golden himself seems like he doesn't know his vision

I think the shift in recruiting points to something very specific. My guess is we just haven't seen full implementation yet.

I can see that we want to be a 3-4 team and our recruiting of hybrids shows that.

However, I don't know what his vision is for the back end of this defense. Will we continue to play in these soft zones keeping everything in front of us or will we play tighter coverage? Will we always play this bend and then break defense or will we play with some ******* balls?

The question isn't personnel, the question is philosophy. Is playing soft, *****-Temple defense in their DNA or will they (Doritio and Goldens) call plays with confidence?

I'm most interested in the plan for the OLBs in the 3-4.

Advertisement
I think his vision is to get that assembly of talent on the field and then play rock, paper, scissors to see what scheme they go with each week

Advertisement
I hope so. If we do, there will be a slight change in philosophy. If we put AQM in Greens spot and McCord in Cornelius or visa versa, neither guy can handle what we currently ask Cornelius to do and would waste their talents.

Really curious to see what we do in the future. The recruiting points to something we aren't doing currently.

I think guys like Cornileus will eventually be phased out. He's not strong enough to control gaps, fast enough to threaten from the edge, or instinctual enough to be effective in coverage.

I think guys like Cornileus will eventually be phased out. He's not strong enough to control gaps, fast enough to threaten from the edge, or instinctual enough to be effective in coverage.

At this point, Cornelius seems to be the player that coaches think is best in coverage. He's in on nickel for a reason.

Advertisement
Back