Tracy
Gunter
Howard
Burns
Bush
Jenkins

Golden and D'Onofrio got this, y'all.

Advertisement
We've been painfully average in our last three games against conference opponents. Improved from last year, but still very average.

We've been painfully average in our last three games against conference opponents. Improved from last year, but still very average.

That's still a quantum leap from our goatse-level defense last year.

Campanaro goes for 2 bills last year.

We're still building.

Ebron went for 2 bills and we had a bye week to prepare. But I agree the D will continue to grow with time. Only with college there is always a revolving door, once a guy gets there he is gone and you have to do it again. I know this is a different regime but the building process feels like the loooooongest build ever.

Advertisement
There is a weakness in this defensive argument. Last year we had a top 10 SOS. Up to this point this year, we would be lucky if we are in the top 50, and that is with a weak offensive Florida team. Show me these defensive numbers again after our season is over and we have played FSU (possibly twice), VT, and whoever in our bowl.

There is a weakness in this defensive argument. Last year we had a top 10 SOS. Up to this point this year, we would be lucky if we are in the top 50, and that is with a weak offensive Florida team. Show me these defensive numbers again after our season is over and we have played FSU (possibly twice), VT, and whoever in our bowl.

VT? Offense? Lulz

This is true, but everyone gashed us last year. NCST. BC. GT. All went for huge numbers.

North Carolina and KSU had elite scoring offenses, but ND, BC, and NCST were all bottom-half. And they all ran wild.

The numbers are far better across the board. And only some of that is a softer schedule.

Advertisement
This defense needs a great DT that can penetrate. When is the last time we had that? Now we only have guys who can hold the point of attack. Our D is a long long way off from what it needs to be to challenge the best. Just being honest here. We gave up 500 yards to UNC.

who do we lose this year?

Guaranteed: Porter, Green, Renfrow, Robinson*, Rodgers, Highsmith, Cornelius and Gaines

*There is talk about a 6th year for Robinson by the fans.

**** we're going to need Kirby / Blue to step up big time next year.

Without speaking of the new guys coming in 2014 recruits, we need some kids to step up.

S: Carter
LB: Blue, Kirby and Grace
DL: Hamilton and Kamalu (I think these guys need to move inside)

Advertisement

you are aware that they have adjusted stats out there that you can use to determine the success of the team this year, instead of just saying we played more ranked teams last year so these stats are misleading. Pretty sure Miami is significantly better this year defensively using the adjusted stats.

Guaranteed: Porter, Green, Renfrow, Robinson*, Rodgers, Highsmith, Cornelius and Gaines

**** we're going to need Kirby / Blue to step up big time next year.

Without speaking of the new guys coming in 2014 recruits, we need some kids to step up.

S: Carter
LB: Blue, Kirby and Grace
DL: Hamilton and Kamalu (I think these guys need to move inside)

Jelani Hamilton still exists?

VT? Offense? Lulz

I didnt say VT offense was good. I said when we play good teams. Keep in mind, they have a good defense. A good defense means our offense stays off the field which puts our defense on the field longer, which means our defense can get tired and with an offense that grounds it out like they do, that could be a bad thing for a tired defense. The saving grace is that Logan Thomas is more inconsistent than Stemo and more often than not, pretty crappy.

Either way, point is we haven't played anyone this year vs the schedule we played last year.

Advertisement

This is what im talking about,, weed out the weak bra:
Porter- Serviceable
Green- Dont let me get started with him.. Pure heart, but no business starting at DE- Poor Job in managing his snaps IMO
Renfrow- Not a bad pick up thus far
Robinson- Should get more playing IMO.. Regardless, JAG thus far
Rodgers- Oh boy,., he is not a football player period. 0% Anticipation and awareness. Has the size and speed, but acts like he has female shoulders when he hits.
Highsmith- True Cane, Not blessed with god giving talent, but A for effort., Slow *** ****..
Cornelius- JAG.
Gaines- JAG with size.. Not Athletic!

Last edited:

you are aware that they have adjusted stats out there that you can use to determine the success of the team this year, instead of just saying we played more ranked teams last year so these stats are misleading. Pretty sure Miami is significantly better this year defensively using the adjusted stats.

I didnt say the defense didn't improve. I just don't think the improvement is as drastic as everyone is acting. We are still borderline between being average to above average I believe. We will find out a lot more this weekend, but I think people are so hyped up about our defense being top 20 ranked in many categories as the OP used it above, but people are ignoring the fact that we really haven't played anyone who should be able to put up big numbers on us at this point. You can skew numbers how you want, but that doesn't always make it true. Otherwise I can say North Carolina put up more yards, points, first downs, etc on us this year than they did last year. Everyone said before the game they were a significantly worse offensive team without Gio Bernard. TOP was roughly the same.

Whoa, have you noticed we have kept within striking distance? Pretty? No - I see this as a bend don't break D based on some good to middlin' but tryin' hard personnel. Being directed to stop the big play, staying home... - and outlasting the opponent in the 4th. Nearly everyone we have played besides the creampuffs and the archetypically overconfident UF has started with an O we haven't seen, and we've adjusted well. Yes, I would love to see us chasing down QB's with reckless abandon, taking chances - more run blitz's, etc. Perhaps with Coley knowing a little about how Jimbo thinks - some of those opportunities may occur. I hope we keep this close and the game is won in the last two minutes. Of course blowing out the noles would be better - but a win is a win for the cardiac canes. I also settle for some plain good ole luck.

Our experienced linebackers this year are Perryman, Gaines, Armbrister, and Cornelius

Next year our rotation (if Perryman stays) should be Perryman, Armbrister, Figs, and Grace

That is a serious step up in talent, but Figs and Grace are just too green this year.

Plus we'll have Juwon Young who started shaving when he was 6 years old.

Advertisement
Back