5-star RB Milton reaches out to Thomas Brown, lands UM offer

Advertisement
Seriously have to question the memories of some of our "fans".

McFarland wasn't just collecting a UM offer. While he may have flaked out at the last moment, he was a Miami commit that was serious about coming to Miami, even though he had a completely commitable offer from Maryland. If not for the last minute "kidnapping" by the entire Maryland coaching staff, he would have been fine with coming to Miami, no matter what he says about how much he loved his hometown after the flip. I will forever be angry with McFarland for how he dealt with Miami, but there is no doubt that he was serious about Miami and was not merely using our offer to get other offers.

Kellen Winslow II did not "recruit Miami". He was firmly committed to another program, but his father wisely chose to block KWII from signing with that program over their lack of having black coaches on the coaching staff.

And DJ Williams was a consensus Top 5 national recruit, some even considered him the top overall recruit. He didn't need to "recruit Miami". By that point, Butch had become a very good recruiter (in addition to being a top identifier of talent) and all we needed was the mutual interest to be all over DJ Williams.

There are other football and basketball recruits who have had to contact Miami in order to express interest and to get an offer, but those three were not in that bunch.

With all that being said, I still think that Miami should be doing more to COMMUNICATE to the top 250 players each year. We have a coach who has coached in the SEC and who has a nationally-known name. There is no reason why we should not be gauging the interest level of all of the top non-Florida players, rather than finding out that a kid likes us long after he has been named a 5-star recruit.

LOL, you're new right? Miami is barely allowed to accept anyone outside SFLA, but to actually reach out to them? Impossible.

Bottom line, everybody here knows a SFLA 2* is better than a CA 5*. Richt can basically walk outside and take the first 25 kids he sees and win a NC, and you want him to pay attention to kids from Ohio?

Every kid from outside Florida is slower and weaker and has way less that dog in them than every single kid inside Florida. Period.

Don't know the extent of your familiarity with him. But, do you have any idea as to how real his interest is?

Come on man, how could you possibly know that?

giphy.gif

We never need to go north of 10 or west of 75 to recruit a RB. Just get Chaney for 2020 and we good

Advertisement
His film is amazing. To the people that know California football, what type of competition is this kid playing against? He looks like a man amongst middle schoolers.

Advertisement
LOL, you're new right? Miami is barely allowed to accept anyone outside SFLA, but to actually reach out to them? Impossible.

Bottom line, everybody here knows a SFLA 2* is better than a CA 5*. Richt can basically walk outside and take the first 25 kids he sees and win a NC, and you want him to pay attention to kids from Ohio?

Every kid from outside Florida is slower and weaker and has way less that dog in them than every single kid inside Florida. Period.

Agree with your first 2 points, assuming the first sentence has a bit of sarcasm to it. There isn't much of a need to spend too much energy outside of S. FL. But... We have a national respect unlike any other team. I have been in airports as far as Washington (literally) repping my U gear and random people come up to me and show respect to the U. Happens all the time. Disagree with your last point though. There are some dogs out there. Miami is an attitude. You don't have to be from FL to have it, just more from S.Fl do. But we can use our brand to pull good players from anywhere.

I'll trade a s. fl prima donna 5* who doesn't appreciate where he's from, for a 5* kid who's been dying to be close to the program their whole life.

EDITED: stream of consciousness narrative

Last edited:
Agree with your first 2 points, assuming the first sentence has a bit of sarcasm to it. There isn't much of a need to spend too much energy outside of S. FL. But... We have a national respect unlike any other team. I have been in airports as far as Washington (literally) repping my U gear and random people come up to me and show respect to the U. Happens all the time. Disagree with your last point though. There are some dogs out there. Miami is an attitude. You don't have to be from FL to have it, just more from S.Fl do. But we can use our brand to pull good players from anywhere.

I'll trade a s. fl prima donna 5* who doesn't appreciate where he's from, for a 5* kid who's been dying to be close to the program their whole life.

EDITED: stream of consciousness narrative

The whole thing was meant to be sarcastic...I'm losing my edge.

Obviously we should prioritize kids in our backyard, but people take it a bit far. The idea that kids from SFLA are always better than everybody else and there's never a reason to recruit outside the area is just stupid.

Advertisement
The whole thing was meant to be sarcastic...I'm losing my edge.

Obviously we should prioritize kids in our backyard, but people take it a bit far. The idea that kids from SFLA are always better than everybody else and there's never a reason to recruit outside the area is just stupid.
We don't take it far enough.

For QB and O Line we NEED to recruit out of state. For skill positions, especially WR, RB, S, CB South Florida is completely dominant.

There is ZERO need to recruit skill positions from further than WPB

Advertisement
Him and Chaney in the same class is unfair. Especially considering the possibility of the 2019 class. Thomas Brown may have some stallions to work with. I'm of the thinking if we dont have guys transferring out of skill positions due to playing time...we aint back yet.

Advertisement
Back