5-star RB Milton reaches out to Thomas Brown, lands UM offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Buchanan (CA) RB Kendall Milton is already known as one of the most explosive backs in the country and his tape contains one of the more impressive highlight reels you’ll ever see. So, despite racking up offers from blueblood programs all around the country (schools like Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, USC, and Michigan to name a few), Milton wasn’t completely satisfied. Instead, the 5-star running back reached out to Miami Hurricanes OC/RB coach Thomas Brown to see if one of his personal favorite schools was interested. Unsurprisingly, Brown didn’t hesitate to give Milton an offer to play at the U.

“It feels amazing,” Milton said on his Miami offer. “Miami is a great place and I was really looking forward to this opportunity. I was able to get a hold of Coach Brown and the rest was history.”

It’s not often that a national top 10 prospect reaches out to a program to get noticed. But it was the tradition that comes with 5 national titles and UM’s recent turnaround last season that caught Milton’s attention, and made him feel like Miami was a program on the rise.

“Miami has always been a school that I have had interest in,” Milton said. “From the old-school reputation, to them turning the program around this year, it has really opened my eyes.”

Much of the kudos for changing the stale culture and injecting some life into the Miami program goes to head coach Mark Richt, who arrived 2 seasons ago and brought Miami to their first ACC Championship in 2017. Although they haven’t talked yet, Milton already has a great respect for the Canes’ Commander-in-Chief.

“He seems like a great coach even though I haven’t talked to him,” Milton said on Richt. “I would say seeing how fast he turned the program around was a big part [of my interest].”

While he doesn’t have a set visit date right now, the 6'2" 210 pounder hopes to meet Miami’s head coach in person soon: Milton’s working with Brown to set up a trip to Coral Gables in the future.

“I will be planning to,” said Milton said on a potential UM visit.

Sometimes called “RB U”, Miami is known for their long tradition of sending ball-carriers to the NFL. Guys like Alonzo Highsmith, Ottis Anderson, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James, Willis McGahee, Lamar Miller, and Duke Johnson stick in Milton’s mind and it’s the ability to develop running backs for the NFL that draws him to Miami.

“Yes sir, all those names were great athletes that came through the program,” Milton said. “That shows me that they know how to develop running backs and send them to the next level. That is a big factor for me.”

Advertisement
Always great to have good recruits recruiting you.

I just hope he doesn't pull a "McFarland", who always wanted to stay home in MD/D.C. area but loved getting a Miami offer to add to his collection.
Anthony McFarland commits to Maryland

Anyway, its always worth a shot. We've got nothing to lose.

Kellen Winslow Jr. & DJ Williams were both HUGE national ALL Stars who recruited us and ended up coming and being Cane stars.

So we'll see how it plays out

Last edited:
Advertisement
FrayedIcyIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
Always awesome to see U on the map nationwide! Nothing to be mad about. Although hard to not think about the last time we had a Cali 5* reaching out to our coaches was DJ Johnson....well we know how that panned out as he’ll be in an Oregon uni moving forward.

Advertisement
Nothing wrong with this development.

If we don't take 2 RBs this year, we definitely should next year.

Shannon took an LB from this school - a bit of a reach - he played a little, but I don't recall him doing too much.

But the Fresno area has produced some decent players.

Just watched his film on YouTube.

You rarely see a kid run between the tackles at the high school level as much as this kid. He never bounces it outside until he reaches the 2nd level. Looks like the kind of guy Richt would love to run his power offense. Looks like a load to bring down.

Kinda looks like a Bama running back. 6’2, 210 per 247.

OL looked like it had a few road graders. They opened up some nice lanes, for the mostly part.

Advertisement
Just watched his film on YouTube.

You rarely see a kid run between the tackles at the high school level as much as this kid. He never bounces it outside until he reaches the 2nd level. Looks like the kind of guy Richt would love to run his power offense. Looks like a load to bring down.

Kinda looks like a Bama running back. 6’2, 210 per 247.

OL looked like it had a few road graders. They opened up some nice lanes, for the mostly part.

You make a great point that he doesn't automatically look to bounce it outside, kid hit the hole and went where there was a lane and let his speed do the rest. Looked like he has really good vision.

This kid reminds me of Clinton Portis and Lamar Miller. He has good speed and quickness. Sounds like he is a lock to Miami

Advertisement
Back