5-star OT Leigh continues building bond with Justice through quarantine

View as article
Advertisement
Here are some highlights of the article written by one of the midwest 247 reporters for their national site:

Five-star offensive tackle Tristan Leigh released a top 15 two months ago, and he is yet to trim it again.

However, there are several schools recruiting the Fairfax (Va.) Robinson standout with more fervor than others, including LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida, Ohio State and Penn State.

“I did a virtual tour with Oklahoma. I did one with Florida,” said Leigh, who is the No. 3 offensive tackle and No. 11 prospect in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “I am trying to see how this whole thing pans out. If I am able to do official visits, I would take all of them before I commit. If not, I am trying to get all my information to be able to commit.”

Leigh also has Georgia, Florida State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami, Maryland, UCF and Southern Cal were also in his top 15.

“I am looking for a place where my talents, and their ability to be maximized the most, (can be developed),” Leigh said. “Where I can have a coach I can trust and a relationship where he is going to look out for me beyond football. I want a place where they have my back, my family’s back, and where they see me as a student-athlete.”

Will distance play a role when the 6-foot-5, 270-pound Leigh picks a school?

“It’s not really going to be a factor to me,” he said. “Home is going to be where you make it so it doesn’t really matter.”

One school Leigh knows very well is Penn State, and his relationship with offensive line coach Phil Trautwein is strong.

“Coach Trautwein is a great coach,” Leigh said. “I have a really good relationship with him. My family really likes him. I’ve been there a lot, probably five times, because it is so close to home. I talk to coach (James) Franklin a lot. He’s probably one of the most honest coaches I’ve met.

“He’s more of a player’s coach type. He is really all about his players and just maxing them out. That is really his No. 1 priority. That is what I learned from him."

Among the schools high on Leigh’s radar is Oklahoma, which picked up five-star quarterback Caleb Williams on Saturday. Williams plays at Washington (D.C.) Gonzaga, which is 22 miles from Leigh’s school.

“We talk a lot,” Leigh said. “We said a long time ago it would be amazing to play with each other. That is something I do think about a lot. He’s a competitor and he will take whatever it takes to win. I like to surround myself with people like that, with similar motivation.”

Leigh also is in contact with Sooners offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh frequently.

“He’s amazing,” Leigh said. “I watch film with him. We watched film for about an hour and 30 minutes. It was me, Bryce Foster and (Sooners commit) Cullen Montgomery, who is already committed. Through that, he made it so simple to understand the offense. He was testing us on different blocking assignments and stuff like that, and we were getting them (correct).

“He’s a really good teacher and coach. Coach Bedenbaugh, that’s my guy.”

Florida’s virtual tour and presentation also stood out to Leigh.

“I learned a lot from it,” he said. “My mom and I were not aware of (the academic part). We knew they are top 10 in football but we didn’t know they were a top 10 academic school, which is huge. They are the only SEC team in that category. That was really interesting to me.

“I learned (offensive line) coach (John) Hevesy is a really good coach, and he was really into showing us the area. The opportunities for internships they have at Florida is huge, and they were telling us about that a lot. Coach Mullen was telling me how he would see me fit in their program. We were really happy with that visit.”

Since a visit last summer in which Leigh had a strong showing at LSU’s camp, he has been in contact with the staff a lot, including offensive line coach James Cregg.

“It was a winning environment for me,” Leigh said. “I just felt good being there. When I was doing the camp, there was high energy. There were kids from all over the place. I really liked the atmosphere. It reminded me of gladiator stuff. That’s what the one-on-ones felt like. I just kept getting more into it as it went on.”

Alabama has been a big part of Leigh’s recruitment for a while, and the status of the program stands out.

“It is different because they are the highest standard of college football,” he said. “They have been for some time. The consistency in their development of players in getting them to the NFL is something you cannot ignore as a recruit.

“(Offensive line) coach (Kyle) Flood was telling me that 10 of the last 12 years, his left tackle has been a first-round NFL draft pick. That is something I can’t ignore so I am going to give them my full energy.”

One of the hottest teams in Leigh’s recruitment is Ohio State, which has momentum with him.

“They had been talking to me a lot,” he said. “I got in this routine where I would watch game film with coach Stud (offensive line) coach Greg (Studrawa), and I still do it once a week, and then talk on the phone twice a week.

“As we did that, we got a closer relationship. I started to get to know the commits, and there is one in my home state, TreVeyon Henderson. As I kept getting to know them, the relationship got tighter and they became a serious contender.”

Another long-term contender for Leigh is Clemson, which he visited in the winter. Out of the visit, there were a lot of rumblings about the Tigers being the leader, and Leigh understood why that was the case.

“Everyone was blown away because coach (Dabo) Swinney literally gave us about an hour and a half presentation and he just put it all out there with his pitch,” Leigh said. “It blew away people. I talked to a bunch of reporters after and they got my honest reaction to it.

“I definitely take them very seriously. That visit was amazing. They got like four commits from that day, all big-time kids.”

Florida is not a top 10 football program and CERTAINLY is not a top 10 academic school.

MAYBE near the top 10 of large, public schools, which of course doesn’t include every ivy, every private, etc etc which are the best schools in the country.

UF would be lucky to crack to top 10 in the state of California alone and they are certainly outside the top 10 in New York State.

UF would barely slip into the top 10 of the ACC!

Duke
UNC
UVA
GT
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Wake
BC

...are all indisputably better schools that UF. So their ceiling is #9. In the ACC. And while you can debate it, Miami is better too, and is certainly better regarded in academic circles. PITT is going to have something to say about this list too. So maybe they’d be #11.

The arrogance of those sister kissing jorts wearing Santa Fe CC alumni knows no bounds.

Florida is not a top 10 football program and CERTAINLY is not a top 10 academic school.

MAYBE near the top 10 of large, public schools, which of course doesn’t include every ivy, every private, etc etc which are the best schools in the country.

UF would be lucky to crack to top 10 in the state of California alone and they are certainly outside the top 10 in New York State.

UF would barely slip into the top 10 of the ACC!

Duke
UNC
UVA
GT
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Wake
BC

...are all indisputably better schools that UF. So their ceiling is #9. In the ACC. And while you can debate it, Miami is better too, and is certainly better regarded in academic circles. PITT is going to have something to say about this list too. So maybe they’d be #11.

The arrogance of those sister kissing jorts wearing Santa Fe CC alumni knows no bounds.
This is kinda exaggerated. In the latest us news ranking UF is 34 and Miami is 57 When ranked in same category. They are ahead of BC (slightly) and right with duke, gtech, ND and unc. Syracuse is nowhere near there. won’t make top ten in NY and Cali??? what are you talking about. If you want to compare them to super tiny schools that offer no real sports or anything maybe. In the end both Miami and Florida are good schools.

This is kinda exaggerated. In the latest us news ranking UF is 34 and Miami is 57 When ranked in same category. They are ahead of BC (slightly) and right with duke, gtech, ND and unc. Syracuse is nowhere near there. won’t make top ten in NY and Cali??? what are you talking about. If you want to compare them to super tiny schools that offer no real sports or anything maybe. In the end both Miami and Florida are good schools.

US News rankings are a joke and are ignored in legitimate academic circles. BC is a way better school than UF. Syracuse is a better school than UF due to its journalism school. Its not that huge a gap, but SU is better. Ask anyone who comes from a legitimate academic environment. I'm sorry, but people in Florida have a skewed view of the quality and perception of their state schools. If you get out of the southeast, schools like UF, FSU, BAMA, UGA, etc aren't even considered. Punchlines. Yes, they are solid state schools, but no one takes them seriously. Miami suffers a bit from the same fate, but due to its national and international student body, its location in a world-class city, its #1 or #2 marine bio program and some other achievements in the last 20 years, including small class size and being private, it has a little bit more credibility.

What in the world does sports have to do with academic rankings? UF is not in the same stratosphere as schools like Cornell, Pomona, Cal Tech, Columbia, Barnard, Colgate, Vassar, NYU, West Point, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal... I could go on...

They are not claiming "top 10 academic school among teams with D1 football," they are literally, and being delusional as always, claiming they are a top 10 academic school, period. It's nuts.

Last edited:
Advertisement
US News rankings are a joke and are ignored in legitimate academic circles. BC is a way better school than UF. Syracuse is a better school than UF due to its journalism school. Its not that huge a gap, but SU is better. Ask anyone who comes from a legitimate academic environment. I'm sorry, but people in Florida have a skewed view of the quality and perception of their state schools. If you get out of the southeast, schools like UF, FSU, BAMA, UGA, etc aren't even considered. Punchlines. Yes, they are solid state schools, but no one takes them seriously. Miami suffers a bit from the same fate, but due to its national and international student body, its location in a world-class city, its #1 or #2 marine bio program and some other achievements in the last 20 years, including small class size and being private, it has a little bit more credibility.

What is the world does sports have to do with academic rankings? UF is not in the same stratosphere as schools like Cornell, Pomona, Cal Tech, Columbia, Barnard, Colgate, Vassar, NYU, West Point, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal... I could go on...

They are not claiming "top 10 academic school among teams with D1 football," they are literally, and being delusional as always, claiming they are a top 10 academic school, period. It's nuts.

Been saying this forever. All that rankings issue does for USNWR is sell magazines.....

Advertisement
Now says it will be a top 5, not 6 lol

OU
Clemson
LSU

those are the locks. PSU, OSU, UM, FSU slug it out for those last 2 IMO. Idk, but to me it says something that the kid and his family came down here to visit on their own dime and stayed overnight. Do I think we get em? Nah, but Id kinda be surprised if we didnt make this 5 cut. JMO.

Now says it will be a top 5, not 6 lol

OU
Clemson
LSU

those are the locks. PSU, OSU, UM, FSU slug it out for those last 2 IMO. Idk, but to me it says something that the kid and his family came down here to visit on their own dime and stayed overnight. Do I think we get em? Nah, but Id kinda be surprised if we didnt make this 5 cut. JMO.

Not that I think he's coming but put me down for us snagging an OV

Advertisement
So ufag is a top ten public institution. But they parade around saying they’re a top ten institution. But if all these kids are going to school for free who gives a crap if it’s public. That’s the only thing public has over private is price. Shouldn’t be a factor for these kids
And usually ladies on campus. As well as more of "college town" feels.

👀

Attachments

• 0E03F90A-56A0-49D1-A556-F6FD998456AF.jpeg
    0E03F90A-56A0-49D1-A556-F6FD998456AF.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 92
Advertisement
Been saying this forever. All that rankings issue does for USNWR is sell magazines.....
It became a major joke when it decided to start ranking schools based on number of poor students who go. I think it’s great for a school to have lots of people from different incomes, but you can’t act like that makes a school automatically better academically. When they added that as a factor basically every public school shot up in the rankings and a ton of non-ivy private schools slipped down.

Advertisement
Back