5 star Linebacker enters the portal: USC LB Palaie Gaoteote (now w/ 90% more inevitable whining over LB recruiting)

I heard

youre missing the point of free agency. You work to try to get the biggest star in the free agency pool. He’s the highest rated TP eligible player.has connections here and manny is the Transfer Portal Gawd so you try to get him. Especially with slim hopes of getting JP15 back
You’re missing the point we don’t have spots to blow, a spot we aren’t in need of. A player that’s above average and injury prone. If you want a lb there’ll be better players, even though that’s very doubtful.

You guys get hard for every portal kid, you want them just because of our history with it. Kinda like kids in the candy section” Everything is good”.

If he’s willing to wait and the ncaa does something with spots maybe things change later , but as of now it’s a no.

Last edited:
Advertisement
His “announcement” video with that RB (Fils-Aime or something like that) was one of the most cringeworthy things I’ve seen.

fuzzy muffin. That’s one recruitment I had the inside info and everyone killed me when I said he was going to Tennessee. I knew 100% he committed to Tenn coaches prior to that dumb *** video. Two weeks prior to all that crap he was already gone.

Only way I turn this kid down completely is if we swing and miss on T2.

Folks we have Bama game 1..you can never have enough grown men when you are playing an elite level team. I know spots are limited and this kid probably doesnt come though.

That said, him going to Mich State..sheesh..talk about walking into a wasteland. Hes going to spend his last year in college cold as **** every day and getting his **** pushed in every week.
That’s why you do it later , insurance.

I was more responding to your response to the other guy lol. Out of all the info I’ve put out over the years I’ll eat Tyrique and hasselwood even though those changed he last three days. I’ll even take the L on Marshall even though I never posted he was coming ( he was). I always said we were in it for him more than anyone thought. I was ahead of all the experts on his recruitment.

So you’re disrespecting me on that 75 percent but it’s all good lol. I’d say more 90 percentile and that’s with years of info.
I remember both of those and you corrected both before signing day. You even said a school with deep pockets was in home with JH last minute and make a big time offer. Then said he was gone a day or 2 before. You've been spot on the past couple years, with dropping even more this year. We appreciate your intel!

You’re missing the point we don’t have spots to blow, a spot we aren’t in need of. A player that’s above average and injury prone. If you want a lb there’ll be better players, even though that’s very doubtful.

You guys get hard for every portal kid, you want them just because of our history with it. Kinda like kids in the candy section” Everything is good”.

If he’s willing to wait and the ncaa does something with spots maybe things change later , but as of now it’s a no.
this ... lb is not an immediate need ... brooks is getting better, flagg has shown promise, cave has folks excited, add in davis and troutman ... and similar to ivey, i'm not ready to give up on jennings ... this guy is a nice insurance policy and we're luckily in a position that we have factors in our favor that allow us to take our time with this

Advertisement
The flip that annoyed me the most was Tyler Byrd, was throwing up the U at the all american game with Shaq, by NSD he was already flipped Tennessee then started saying we were trying to pay kids, while being **** near 20 years old, what weirdo. He ain't even sniff the nfl
Barely sniffed the field at Tennessee too!

We are a hot commodity for portal defensive ends but can this kid come here and transition to end? Give us a talented player who needs a rebuild alike Phillips and has great athleticism.

Advertisement

Just curious on how many spots do we have for the 2020 class since we’re nowhere the 85 player limit?

Advertisement
USC would like him to stay. From Helton this morning:

Seems like a lot of effort from USC to keep a guy who’s injury prone and had 105 tackles since 2018. Either damage control or they recognize his all pro potential will shine wherever he ends up at.

1607447098862.png

Advertisement
Seems like a lot of effort from USC to keep a guy who’s injury prone and had 105 tackles since 2018. Either damage control or they recognize his all pro potential will shine wherever he ends up at.
this has been Helton's policy with regard to the transfer portal. Support the kid and let them make the best decision for themselves. It paid dividends with Bru McCoy.

This dude is PERFECT for our attacking defense!!! At worst (if he is healthy, he’s had injuries) he would be a faster, quicker SHAQ! We can take him out or have him spy/blitz on third downs. But for two downs he will lay fools out! He’s better than anyone we have right now. You can see on film his talent.

He's a phenomenally talented LB. I was a little worried about Phillip's concussion history, but thought that playing DE might be a little less dangerous for his brain matter than LB, since there should be fewer high speed collisions between two players running at each other full speed. I think there is little chance that Gaoteote could play DE at 6'2". I think if the roster gets expanded because of COVID, he's a take 100%. He would give the DC a lot of flexibility to switch from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3 as the situation dictates.

After watching that highlight reel, he reminds me of two other past Cane LB's that, for lack of a better word, had a physical "density" about them, where every time they hit a ball carrier, it just looked like it hurt: Perryman and Nate Webster. Those guys just had something hard to measure, but an ability to just bring a little extra solidity when they hit dudes.

He seems to have that special thing that big hitters have. Not that I have any say in it, but for what it's worth, I definitely want us to bring this dude in whether or not T2 joins us.

And, it's been mentioned that he might put his hand down, which is just fine by me as well. I think we are set at MLB for the next 3 years (barring injury) with Flagg, but we do need some additional depth at DE coming up. Either way, the kid's a take.

Advertisement
Back