5-star LB Sampah to take UM visit this weekend, lists Canes in top 8

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 5-star LB Antoine Sampah is already considered a big-time national prospect, sporting an offer list that would make even most senior players jealous. With offers from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Penn State to name a few, the blue-chip star linebacker from Woodbridge, VA has recently added another suitor: the Miami Hurricanes. Two weeks back, the Canes jumped into the mix for Sampah, as outside linebackers coach Jonathan Patke extended the good news over a phone call.

“It feels great man, I wasn’t expecting it,” Sampah said of his UM offer. “It was a late-night call and we was talking. [Patke] was talking about my physicality and how he wanted me as part of the defense, and that’s when he offered me. He was basically saying how he really likes my film and he sees me as a dominant player in their defense.”

Most schools are recruiting the 6’2” 218 pounder as an inside backer, and Sampah assumes that’s where UM wants him as well. For his part, Sampah plays both inside and outside in high school for Woodbridge and has no preference.

“Body-wise, I look more like an outside backer, but I play inside just fine,” Sampah said. “I like to bump inside. My goal is to end high school at around 230 pounds.”

Sampah grew up following the Canes (as well as Alabama) and has a certain favorite Hurricane that he’s always admired.

“I like them a lot. Miami had Ray Lewis and everything, he’s my favorite,” Sampah said. “They’re known for putting linebackers in the league. I haven’t really done a lot of research on them, just because I haven’t heard from them until recently, but I’m doing my research as much as I can. I like them a lot now.”

It won’t be long until his research becomes a first-hand experience: Sampah is planning a trip to UM’s campus this weekend with his family. The Canes are out of town this weekend at Virginia Tech, but Sampah hopes he will be able to meet some of the staff by Sunday.

“Well we’re going to be heading down to Florida soon,” Sampah said. “I have a visit scheduled to the Florida game on the 17th. From Gainesville to Miami, I’m planning on making that trip on the 18th. Hopefully the coaches will be back from the road game by then.”

What will Sampah be paying attention to when he visits Coral Gables?

“The campus, just how it feels,” Sampah said. “And the life of a football player, a student-athlete.”

Sight unseen, though, now with a UM offer in hand, Sampah is comfortable putting Miami into his current top 8.

“I have an idea of my top 8: Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Florida, Penn State, Miami, and West Virginia,” Sampah said.

In terms of other visits besides Miami and UF, Sampah has recently visited Bama, Clemson, and PSU for game days, and hopes to make an upcoming trip to OU as well.

“I’m gonna try to make it to Oklahoma, if I can make the flight,” Sampah said.

Virginia Tech was the second school to offer Sampah back when he was a freshman and have stayed on him hard for over a year and a half now.

“They’ve sought me out from the beginning,” Sampah said of Virginia Tech. “They always liked me from my freshman film and we’ve always keep in touch. Bud Foster, he’s a really cool dude, great guy. If I were to go there, I would definitely have a good connection with him. With linebackers, he knows what he’s doing.”

When might we see a final decision come from Sampah?

“End of junior year, before senior year. Somewhere around then,” Sampah said. “I definitely want to focus on my senior year, that would be my main reason. To just not have to worry about the recruiting process.”

With over a year still until his signing day, Sampah is content on simply taking his visits and waiting on the perfect school to stand out. When it comes time for Sampah to make his college announcement, though, it’s clear academics and environment will play big factors in his ultimate choice.

“I think the two factors are availability of resources to help me in my academics and the feel of everything,” Sampah said. “I know all colleges offer help with school, tutors and everything. Just having a strong system and helping student-athletes get their degree. And then some people thrive in different environments – some people do better with this and some people do better with that. I just feel I need a good feeling and a good atmosphere to work and be a part of.”

Advertisement
I can see how you can get Miami and Tuscaloosa confused, the spelling is similar. Or should i just feel bad for the kid, he seems to think Miami is in Alabama.

He's going to have a hard time not coming to UM, once he gets here and him and his parents see that it is a private University with the small class sizes, that part alone, than we should still be somewhere around a top 50 academic institution too as well. But im not so sure he'll be able to unseat solomon.

DO NOT WANT!!!!! Why in the world would we recruit a 5 star player when we could just pick up 3 star linebacker from Miami that will be 1000x better. Ever look at the NFL pro bowl roster? 100% of the players on those teams where 3 star South Florida guys.

Advertisement
He's going to have a hard time not coming to UM, once he gets here and him and his parents see that it is a private University with the small class sizes, that part alone, than we should still be somewhere around a top 50 academic institution too as well. But im not so sure he'll be able to unseat solomon.

Yah!!! I am sure that will be the deciding factor. That is why the rest of his top choices are all academic power houses like Bama, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

DO NOT WANT!!!!! Why in the world would we recruit a 5 star player when we could just pick up 3 star linebacker from Miami that will be 1000x better. Ever look at the NFL pro bowl roster? 100% of the players on those teams where 3 star South Florida guys.
This might be one of the craziest comments I’ve read on this board. This dude is a stud and there is nobody in South Florida on this dudes level in the 20’ class for the LB position.

Good write up Stefan. Hope this dude falls in love with the U! As always we’re battling some powerhouse programs.

Advertisement
The kid is the hardest hitter in the Cardinal District since Ahmad Brooks. Same high school as Da'shawn Hand. He run fits extremely well. I thought he had a fairly serious injury. Did not play the second half at the game I saw him this year. BTW, he is every bit the size listed.

Advertisement
If he is truly genuine about what he’s looking for in a school then I think we might have a shot at this kid.
I'd love to believe that. It's kind of hard given the circumstances. I live close enough to see him play.

Advertisement
We're in his TOP 8, my guy. Lol. Top 8 equals no chance. lol.
Yup... We can't keep most of our own top guys from Bama and the like. I don't see us pulling a 5 star from Northern Virginia over those schools right now.

This might be one of the craziest comments I’ve read on this board. This dude is a stud and there is nobody in South Florida on this dudes level in the 20’ class for the LB position.

Not so fast my friemd, coud just be another jeff luc:

Advertisement
Back