5-star DE Stewart talks Paradise, plan for recruitment

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Miami Hurricanes held their fifth annual Paradise Camp on Saturday night, which drew highly touted prospects both locally and from all around the country to Coral Gables. While there were plenty of top-tier names in attendance, arguably none were bigger than 2022 Monsignor Pace (FL) 5-star DE Shemar Stewart, who was making his fourth trip to UM since the dead period opened back up on June 1st.

“The visits to Miami have been good vibes… good people, good atmosphere,” Stewart said. “I came out here tonight with a couple of my friends and some other people I know, got to talk a lot with the coaches. Paradise Camp was good. I met Calais Campbell, Greg Rousseau, and Jaelan Phillips.”

Of course, Campbell, Rousseau, and Phillips have been where Stewart wants to go, with Campbell achieving many accolades over a 13-year NFL career, and Rousseau and Phillips about to start their rookie seasons as highly anticipated first round draft picks. Stewart’s takeaway from the trio?

“They told me to keep working hard and stay hungry,” Stewart said.

Although Stewart attended Paradise in street clothes and did not work out at the event, Stewart has worked out with Miami DL coach Jess Simpson in the past and has a high opinion of his ability as a coach.

“He’s a great person, he knows what he’s talking about,” Stewart said of Simpson. “He’s a very good and experienced coach that can get me to the next level. He wants me to play strongside end in their scheme and he sees me as a guy that can play all four downs.”

Over the course of the night at Paradise, Stewart was seen talking a lot to Miami cornerbacks coach DeMarcus Van Dyke, who has had a consistent message for the 5-star recruit throughout the process.

“The only thing he says is ‘Pace. UM. First round.’ That’s all he says,” Stewart said of DVD.

Through it all, the Hurricanes have treated the nation’s #7 overall recruit as the top prospect on their entire board and have given Stewart a lot to think about this past month. Have the multiple Miami visits made him think about accelerating his timeline for a decision?

“No… maybe I’ll decide on early signing day,” Stewart said. “I’m just taking it day-by-day. I want to chill, relax.”

Aside from UM, Stewart has visited eight other campuses this past month, including Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Florida State, Florida, South Carolina, and FIU, although he pointed to two schools in particular when asked what trips stood out.

“I liked Georgia, I liked Ohio State,” Stewart said.

Stewart also mentioned that he currently has no other visits set up this summer, but that he will take fall official visits to Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas A&M.

Shoulder and knee injuries limited the 6'5" 260-pound prospect to just 2 games, 8 tackles, 0 sacks, and 1 TFL as a junior in 2020, although he produced 48 tackles, 15 sacks, and 17 TFL in 10 games as a sophomore for the Spartans back in 2019.

Advertisement
I realize these guys want to see different schools and the chance to have the red carpet rolled out for them, but I don't understand waiting until early signing day to announce. You would think they would want to recruit other star players to join them. Can you imagine a DLine of Taylor, Stewart, Kelly, and Bear Alexander?

I realize these guys want to see different schools and the chance to have the red carpet rolled out for them, but I don't understand waiting until early signing day to announce. You would think they would want to recruit other star players to join them. Can you imagine a DLine of Taylor, Stewart, Kelly, and Bear Alexander?
You don’t think they tell each other where they’re probably going? Shemar is so comfortable with UM that he was up in the coaches offices just chilling yesterday at paradise.

Advertisement

On paper, totally. But this is the type of guy who says these type of things that we lost to places like... I don't know... Ohio State, and, uh.... Georgia for many years now.

Signing Williams and Taylor was a huge deal. Need to consistently be able to keep guys like this from our back yard. Diaz seems to be doing a great job making Miami feel like home.

Advertisement
You don’t think they tell each other where they’re probably going? Shemar is so comfortable with UM that he was up in the coaches offices just chilling yesterday at paradise.
Maybe, maybe not. But IF you're going to become a Cane, then it just makes sense to publicly announce and help actively recruit other studs to join you. Bama, Georgia, OSU, Clemson, etc have no problems getting 5-stars and high 4-stars to commit early. Yes, I get we currently aren't on their level, yet anyways, but Stewart committing publicly could influence guys like Hicks, Wilson, Singleton, etc to jump aboard. This is how we are going to regain our rightful place as CFB's elite program IMO.

Taylor and Williams were HUGE, and let's hope that starts a major trend our way

Advertisement

Lol...And Lucas. He takes a back seat to no one either.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back