5 Fall Camp Questions on both sides of the ball

Gotta love CIS these MF's be trippin!

just need a running back to be like Clinton portis and an LB to be like dan morgan. No problem!

They were both references to players making leaps in their specific careers. Not that our current players have to become the former legend. And, there was no reference we "needed" it to be successful.

Advertisement
Offense

1. QB: Will whoever is selected at QB, assuming Enos' effectiveness and a more varied attack, give us a significant leap from Malik Rosier version 2017?
2. OL: Who will solidify themselves as the best Tackle combination and spark a domino effect for remainder of the OL? (Zion/Scaife, Scaife/Herbert, etc.)
3. RB: Will Harris or Lingard make a sophomore leap into superstardom. I'm not talking about natural progression or Travis Homer's leap in 2017. I'm talking Clinton Portis flashes when he made the leap.
4. WR: Will JT and Pope be used as they should - being moved around, jet sweeps, option routes, etc.? This alone can change 3rd down conversion %.
5. TE: Will the TEs be used in a way to dictate defensive coverage? Another enormous factor in the transformation of 3rd down conversion %.

Defense

1. DT: My second biggest question on the team in terms of the committee approach we seem to be heading toward. Who will disrupt 3rd down pockets? Who will consistently collapse plays to get teams behind schedule, as per Manny's previous system requires. I'm fine with getting it from a committee, but someone needs to leap.
2. S: My third biggest question on the team is whether our young Safeties will be adequate or surprise in comparison to two experienced, NFL-level Safeties who'd played in our defensive system that places a lot of pressure on Safeties.
3. DE: Will Hill be healthy, Rousseau make a leap and Garvin show out in his contract year to the level of what I've called the best pass rushing trio in the country? The numbers would have to show 35+ TFLs between them, if healthy.
4. LB: Will Pinck or Shaq have a Dan Morgan-type senior year?
5. CB: Will the second corner (Ivey?) make a leap like Michael Jackson in 2017?

Offense

1. Our QB situation will be much better - as it couldn't possibly be as bad as last year - and I'm including Kosi.
2. ?
It's going to be next to impossible for QB play to not improve. Last season the passing game was pathetic. Even a mild improvement will impact the team significantly.

I believe the O line will be improved but not dominant. Right now there seems to be two maybe three guys who are at least capable starters and everyone else is just bleh. Can Baker mold them as a group? Can Enos' creativity keep defenses off balance enough to where the line doesn't HAVE to dominate every single play? Are they going to trust Zion at LT? I feel like they did a decent job of run blocking last season but when the play calling is so predictable and the quarterback play is so bad, it will make a decent line look much worse.

Skill position players, I'm not concerned with at all. Everyone who is in the rotation is capable at running back. We probably have the fastest wide receiver group we've had in a long time. TE is probably the strength of the team especially with a coach who runs a multiple offense. Match ups will be taken advantage of.

I don't think we have a Gerald Willis type season coming from any of our DTs. Obviously Nesta has the highest upside but there is depth at the position we haven't had since Coker was here. There's a whole group of guys who can play at a high level even if none of them is at an All American type level.

We're going to miss Jaquan's smarts and leadership in the defensive backfield. We've probably upgraded athletically and there's certainly plenty of upside at both safety spots but nobody back there has played all that much. Although, I was also concerned when Jenkins and Carter graduated a few years ago but they were replaced pretty easily.

Very good points.

How could our Oline look good when every play was anticipated last year? Opponents knew when to tee off on us!

Every year we lose some good players and there's a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth - and yet - somehow - someone or a couple someone's step up and fill that gap! Safeties, Corners, Dlinemen - year after year - every position but QB.

And it's not like QB play/performance can possibly get any worse - it's got to be much better from an actual QB coach and play calling alone. ****, Rosier could have looked pretty good in all likelihood with some real coaching and better play calling!

A lot of little mistakes can be compensated for by great effort and enthusiastic athleticism. Always has, always will.

can we get the ball to Jeff Thomas(in various ways on offense) 8-10 times a game?

Enos needs to have his version of the 'Randy Ratio'..

I don’t care how much praise he’s gotten, if Zion starts week 1, that is not a good thing.

Unless he’s the 2nd coming of Tony Boselli, and I seriously doubt that, I’d be very discouraged that no one else could beat him out. True freshmen tackles in game 1 against excellent edge defenders and a DC who blitzes his *** off is a recipe for disaster. Someone needs to seize that job who has some time in a college weight program.

Advertisement
Think someone mentioned it earlier, but I’m just excited to see us break the huddle with Deejay Dallas, Brevin Jordan, Will Mallory, Osborn and JT having no idea where they will line up or end up presnap. You can go 12 or 5-wide or anything in between. That alone should give us a huge advantage.

Shaq and Pinckney are going to have a dominant senior season but asking if theirs will be like Dan Morgan isn’t taking into account what they’re asked to do in this defense and In this era of football in general.

Too many fumbles last year. Too many drops.

Our OL looks like garbage on paper. The report coming out this morning about our OL looking confused is concerning.

Our DT’s are questionable. Should be a drop off a year after losing Willis.

Safety is just a train wreck. Even if Bolden makes it on campus, he hasn’t practiced with the team yet. Plus he’s looking skinny. Might have to trot our Knowles and pray for mercy.

None of the QB’s are really impressing. Might just have to roll out N’Kosi Perry again. We all know what that means.

I just hope we make a bowl game this year. I really do.

It is hard for me invasion worst or equal QB play just for the simple fact that Malik’s play was never even average for a P5 QB and Enos is going to call a much more QB friendly game. Plus scheme up easy reads and throws for his QB. This will probably be Manny’s hardest year at QB for a while becuase temptation to bench the starter if it’s not going well and burn through the backups is going to be huge.

RB: recruiting is a game of chance. And there are always great odds that the best RB in south Florida and the best RB in all of Florida (if they aren’t the same player) from any given cycle will eventually be a star. So I think at least one of if not both of these guys will be stars. Could be a Ronnie Brown and Caddilac Williams type combo. But the question for me is DJ going to let these guys on the field? DJs play style is the current rave of NFL type RBs. He can catch, he’s slippery and he doesn’t take a lot of big hits. He in his own right has the potential to be a feature back.

OL,DT,S I’m not overly worried because we are still more talented than 80% of the teams we will face this year. A wash against our rivals and less talented than Clemson.

my question is; is Manny finally the coach who gets these 5,4 and high 3 stars kid to finally play at their potential in a good scheme week in and week out and just beat the teams you’re suppose to. If you simply do that you are a 10 win team at Miami every year . If Miami is a 10 year team we’ll have recruits lining up to make business decisions and then we’ll be just as talented as anyone.

Advertisement
It is hard for me invasion worst or equal QB play just for the simple fact that Malik’s play was never even average for a P5 QB and Enos is going to call a much more QB friendly game. Plus scheme up easy reads and throws for his QB. This will probably be Manny’s hardest year at QB for a while becuase temptation to bench the starter if it’s not going well and burn through the backups is going to be huge.

RB: recruiting is a game of chance. And there are always great odds that the best RB in south Florida and the best RB in all of Florida (if they aren’t the same player) from any given cycle will eventually be a star. So I think at least one of if not both of these guys will be stars. Could be a Ronnie Brown and Caddilac Williams type combo. But the question for me is DJ going to let these guys on the field? DJs play style is the current rave of NFL type RBs. He can catch, he’s slippery and he doesn’t take a lot of big hits. He in his own right has the potential to be a feature back.

OL,DT,S I’m not overly worried because we are still more talented than 80% of the teams we will face this year. A wash against our rivals and less talented than Clemson.

my question is; is Manny finally the coach who gets these 5,4 and high 3 stars kid to finally play at their potential in a good scheme week in and week out and just beat the teams you’re suppose to. If you simply do that you are a 10 win team at Miami every year . If Miami is a 10 year team we’ll have recruits lining up to make business decisions and then we’ll be just as talented as anyone.
We need 2-4 years of ten or more win seasons to get on the elite tier for depth and talent.

1. Will deejay Dallas hold on to his position as the lead back in fall camp? I don’t know if y’all have seen lately but Lorenzo lingard and Camron Harris look like physical freaks... they just look elite and we know they are more talented rbs than Dallas

I don’t get this narrative. DJ has been a beast since his freshman year. The other 2 played sparingly. Lo, in particular, barely showed anything.

As I often say, the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. DJ is a dude and my money is on him to hold the spot down.

Think someone mentioned it earlier, but I’m just excited to see us break the huddle with Deejay Dallas, Brevin Jordan, Will Mallory, Osborn and JT having no idea where they will line up or end up presnap. You can go 12 or 5-wide or anything in between. That alone should give us a huge advantage.

Yep. This is my main source of excitement as well. These kids can play anywhere.

DC's usually have a grad assistant in the booth calling out offensive personnel as the offense substitutes. The defensive staff then matches personnel, and the DC calls the defensive play. With the versatility of our offensive skill kids, you can really cause some matchup nightmares for a defense. You can try to match your personnel to Miami's, but a creative OC can put our kids into some spots that cause big time headaches for a defense. Enos should be able to create mismatches all over the field.

Advertisement
Too many fumbles last year. Too many drops.

Our OL looks like garbage on paper. The report coming out this morning about our OL looking confused is concerning.

Our DT’s are questionable. Should be a drop off a year after losing Willis.

Safety is just a train wreck. Even if Bolden makes it on campus, he hasn’t practiced with the team yet. Plus he’s looking skinny. Might have to trot our Knowles and pray for mercy.

None of the QB’s are really impressing. Might just have to roll out N’Kosi Perry again. We all know what that means.

I just hope we make a bowl game this year. I really do.
Welcome to college football. No team has experienced proven stars at every position level, there are question marks going in to the season at every program.

Shaq and Pinckney are going to have a dominant senior season but asking if theirs will be like Dan Morgan isn’t taking into account what they’re asked to do in this defense and In this era of football in general.
Asking to see if Shaq and Pinck make a big leap from their previous seasons to a big senior season is different for them from Morgan in what way? In what way are they restricted in this defense, of all defenses, and in this era of football? Very interested to read this.

Advertisement
7E8C5865-9C60-487F-B265-B2DBAE0AB83A.jpeg
I don’t get this narrative. DJ has been a beast since his freshman year. The other 2 played sparingly. Lo, in particular, barely showed anything.

As I often say, the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. DJ is a dude and my money is on him to hold the spot down.
People throw around beast way too much. I quanitfy What duke Johnson did his first 2 years as a beast. As it stands now I’m not sold whatsoever on deejay Dallas due to his lack of top speed to be a top tier Miami back, having fumbling issues in multiple games last year that directly attributed to at least 3 losses and inefficient running in the last 8 games of the season. A “beast” doesn’t do just that in the last 8 games

I agree except for if a the starting QB struggles early. I think Enos will make/design plays as such to purposefully get the QB into a rhythm so their confidence boosts. The only exception maybe being Martell - the kid oozes confidence.

View attachment 90980
People throw around beast way too much. I quanitfy What duke Johnson did his first 2 years as a beast. As it stands now I’m not sold whatsoever on deejay Dallas due to his lack of top speed to be a top tier Miami back, having fumbling issues in multiple games last year that directly attributed to at least 3 losses and inefficient running in the last 8 games of the season. A “beast” doesn’t do just that in the last 8 games
I agree that DeeJay Dallas isn't a "beast" but he's still a really talented player that should be heavily invloved in the offense. I think he should be used as a utility player and get somewhere around 6-8 carries and 4-6 catches. Dallas isn't a blazer but I think he's faster than Yearby and Walton and those guys had pretty productive careers here. That said, if Lingard is 100% healthy I hope he's the one leading the team in carries.

I agree that DeeJay Dallas isn't a "beast" but he's still a really talented player that should be heavily invloved in the offense. I think he should be used as a utility player and get somewhere around 6-8 carries and 4-6 catches. Dallas isn't a blazer but I think he's faster than Yearby and Walton and those guys had pretty productive careers here. That said, if Lingard is 100% healthy I hope he's the one leading the team in carries.
Yeah he’s talented but necessarily a lead back imo. As you said he should be used with getting about 8 carries a game or so as a change of pace back and a few catches which can exploit his skill set in the receiving game

Advertisement
Back