40 Years Ago / January 2, 1984

Stan The Bat

Freshman
The Canes win their 1st Natty in the greatest College football game of all time

- The most unbelievably stressful and exciting event I've ever attended.
- The loudest the Orange Bowl has ever been (80,000 + having a collective heart attack)
- The culmination of Howard's 5 year rebuild

It feels like yesterday. 40 years, ****.

Advertisement
I was there as well, with my wife who at the time I was dating! Lots of Red Nebraska fans in the old bowl as well, but we had the larger number, no special Cane chants at the time I! Amazing game, Nebraska at the time was what Bama or Georgia are today. We were the underdog/from the hood/newcomers. We walked out of the OB like kings! Loud game!

Section W with my dad. Recently saw the locker room interview with Howard and Bill Macatee and Howard saying something like this is the culmination of a dream and then corrected himself saying this is just the beginning

What is always overlooked is - we were probably going to win that game even if Nebraska gets the 2-point conversion, but the tipped away pass made it pretty dramatic.

With the way Kosar and the receiving core had moved up and down the field all night, with 48 seconds left and I believe 2 TO's, that would've been more than enough time to get our very good kicker in place to seal the deal,

We were going to win that game no matter what, but kudos to Osbourne for having the guts to go for it.

Advertisement
What is always overlooked is - we were probably going to win that game even if Nebraska gets the 2-point conversion, but the tipped away pass made it pretty dramatic.

With the way Kosar and the receiving core had moved up and down the field all night, with 48 seconds left and I believe 2 TO's, that would've been more than enough time to get our very good kicker in place to seal the deal,

We were going to win that game no matter what, but kudos to Osbourne for having the guts to go for it.
Agree, and i always follow-up with this response when someone throws out a "what if?"

We were moving the ball all night.
Howard made a mistake in our last drive by taking his foot off the gas and playing for the field goal.
After the big play to Eddie Brown, we ran it 4 times.

48 seconds was plenty of time. BOTH defenses were gassed.
****, didn't they score in 59 seconds on their last drive?

Last edited:
The Canes win their 1st Natty in the greatest College football game of all time

- The most unbelievably stressful and exciting event I've ever attended.
- The loudest the Orange Bowl has ever been (80,000 + having a collective heart attack)
- The culmination of Howard's 5 year rebuild

It feels like yesterday. 40 years, ****.

Incredible game.
Absolutely a David vs Goliath situation...and David kicked ***.

Among my fondest memories...ever.

Advertisement
I was there as well, with my wife who at the time I was dating! Lots of Red Nebraska fans in the old bowl as well, but we had the larger number, no special Cane chants at the time I! Amazing game, Nebraska at the time was what Bama or Georgia are today. We were the underdog/from the hood/newcomers. We walked out of the OB like kings! Loud game!
Changed South florida and the program forever. Lose and it nevers comes to be in my opinion.

I was at the Rat with my girlfriend and future wife at the time. The place was bonkers, total mayhem. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some future Canes fans were conceived in that building that night, LOL.

And to concur, with over 30 seconds left, and Miami able to move at will, and with a kicker that was Money, we win that game regardless.

The minimal number of posts to this thread tells you all you need to know about this board.

Advertisement
I watched "lil Eddie" grow up in our neighborhood. Now you know the rest of the story.

Our DL was outweighed by an average of 40lbs, with small-ish LBers, and more than held their own. Not to mention that Nebraska team is still the most decorated team ever, especially that OL.

Husker player giving Tony Fitzpatrick the finger...Lol.
Tony Fitzpatrick_better photo.jpg

Advertisement
Fitz was a big unsung hero of that game. He was questionable to even play and he dominated Nebraska's all Big 8 center. Was literally throwing him around like a rag doll all game.
I'm close friends with Tony. I've talked so much to him about this game it's unconscionable.

Advertisement
Back