40 PPG?

Advertisement
With this schedule, why not?

In my opinion our O will be successful if King breaks the season record for TDs. There is no reason for the team record to be a paltry 31 in this day and age. That's pathetic, and doesn't rank in the top 100 all time. Our O needs to start looking capable week after week, not so hot and cold. Anything the resembles consistently being good and King should shatter this record. For all the love he gets, 23 TDs passing is pretty anemic in modern football. That isn't going to get teams to respect your passing game, thus it's going to make it hard to run the ball. Hard for the RBs, and hard for him.

I'm telling you now, if King improves with downfield passing, we'll shatter some team records this year. If not, expect some splash plays that have us shaking our heads in amazement, surrounded by a lot more that have us shaking our heads in bewilderment. Lashlee needs to step it up this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hell Yeah Yes GIF

With this schedule, why not?

In my opinion our O will be successful if King breaks the season record for TDs. There is no reason for the team record to be a paltry 31 in this day and age. That's pathetic, and doesn't rank in the top 100 all time. Our O needs to start looking capable week after week, not so hot and cold. Anything the resembles consistently being good and King should shatter this record. For all the love he gets, 23 TDs passing is pretty anemic in modern football. That isn't going to get teams to respect your passing game, thus it's going to make it hard to run the ball. Hard for the RBs, and hard for him.

I'm telling you now, if King improves with downfield passing, we'll shatter some team records this year. If not, expect some splash plays that have us shaking our heads in amazement, surrounded by a lot more that have us shaking our heads in bewilderment. Lashlee needs to step it up this year.
All players at any position can improve in some capacity. What specifically is wrong with Kings down field passing and why is all of this put on King? No mention of coaches and scheme. . .

Advertisement
It’s not unrealistic to expect a bump in scoring in the second year of the system bringing back as many guys as we do. They got 34 ppg last year, an extra field goal or two per game isn’t asking for the impossible. I also expect is to run more plays a game because we should be able to sustain drives longer.

All players at any position can improve in some capacity. What specifically is wrong with Kings down field passing and why is all of this put on King? No mention of coaches and scheme. . .
It's not ALL on King, but let me ask you this. When King is in there, where is the downfield passing? Can you honestly say you didn't notice a difference in the O we ran when Perry was in the bowl compared to what King was doing? Do you think Lashlee doesn't know King has his limits and is just calling the plays he does without those in mind? No man, King is limited in terms of pushing the ball down the field. I love all the other things he brings to the table. Everything else about him screams star. His decision making, mobility, leadership, are all A+. However, he simply does not have a next level arm, and can not stand tall in the pocket and deliver strikes down the field. His height directly impacts his ability to see the field. Now, part of that is on Lashlee to get him into a position to see the field. I screamed that most of the year last year.

Again, if King had a better downfield arm, why the **** did he have 23 TDs? I absolutely LOVE that he only threw 5 INTs. I just don't love that he can't get the ball downfield with consistency. It's a problem in this O. Better WR play will help, but it won't cure everything.

I expect to see a jump in production due to it being year 2 in the system. However, if they run the exact same O, I don't expect that jump to be mind blowing. Lashlee needs to find a way to attack all parts of the field with a QB that doesn't have the arm to do so. He needs to be very creative, or we'll see more of the same. 23 TD passes won't cut it in modern football, and it sure won't take the pressure off the running game, or short passing attack.

I'm not attacking King. I'm just pointing out the one flaw I see in his game.

Advertisement
Year 2 jump in Lashlee’s offense. We’ll avg 40 ppg with ease this season. We didn’t have a spring last year & avg 34 ppg (nine point increase). King will have a Heisman campaign behind the much improved o-line.

Only 7 power five conference teams scored 40 or more last season. So is not an easy thing to do.
We scored 35 a game last season, I'll be happy with a FG improvement to 38 a game. That would put us in the top ten of scoring offense in the power 5.

Only 7 power five conference teams scored 40 or more last season. So is not an easy thing to do.
We scored 35 a game last season, I'll be happy with a FG improvement to 38 a game. That would put us in the top ten of scoring offense in the power 5.
For context comparing 2020 Bama (🤮🤮🤮🤮) vs 2020 Hurricanes regular season...

Bama vs Opponents full average: 50-17
Bama vs Opponents modified average*: 49-15

Miami vs Opponents full average: 34-26
Miami vs Opponents modified average*: 34-25

What does the above tell you? Bama dominated, on average, any caliber of opponent they faced. Miami did not dominate, on average, any caliber of opponent they faced and quite frankly, relied on a "bounce here, bounce there" to get Ws that very well could have been Ls (to be fair vice versa). This alone indicates Bama was an elite team and our Canes were at best an inconsistent (against all calibers) middle of the road (yes, yes, yes thank you Capt Obvious) squad (even worse when you think it was against ACC teams).

What is very telling as an implication of the above is Miami's inability to use sustained offense as the best defense. In today's CFB rule sets, a team's ability to keep the ball has now become essentially the most important part of their defensive capability.

*Omits high and low score for smoothing

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back