4-star WR Rucker visiting for spring game, gives take on UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Originally, 2021 Vanguard 4-star receiver Trevonte Rucker was offered by Mark Richt’s staff back in late November, just days after he committed to the Florida Gators. However, Manny Diaz was hired as head coach in January, and Rucker had not yet heard from the new Miami staff. That changed last week when new WR coach Taylor Stubblefield got in touch with Rucker and let him know his offer from UM would be honored.

“It felt good. It took a long time, but it’s a process so it’s all good,” Rucker said. “(Stubblefield) has been telling me that I need to get out there by myself and get to know him.”

And it didn’t take long for Rucker to take Stubblefield up on that suggestion: Rucker will get his first chance to meet Stubblefield and the rest of the new Miami staff this weekend when he attends Miami’s spring game in Orlando. The 6’0.5”, 175 pound pass-catcher will be present at Camping World Stadium with his mother and fellow teammate at Vanguard, 2021 4-star DE Bryce Langston, who is also a UF commit being courted for a flip by Miami.

“I want to see how their receivers get the ball and how they spread the field,” Rucker said of UM. “I just want to see what all the hype is about. I want to talk to all the coaches and get to know them, meet Manny Diaz, and see my boy Kosi down there.”

Like previously mentioned, Rucker has been a UF commitment since November. How does he describe his commitment to the Gators 5 months later?

“Good. I mean, I’m still looking at other schools right now, but it’s good with them,” he said.

One of Rucker’s former 2021 classmates with the Gators, Miami Northwestern 4-star LB Terrence Lewis, decommitted from UF last weekend after attending Miami’s spring scrimmage. Rucker is good friends with Lewis and said he didn’t see it coming.

“I don’t know what happened, it was crazy,” Rucker said. “We have a 2021 groupchat but he didn’t say anything about it, he just did it on his own. He’s got to do what’s best for him.”

Rucker says he plans to continue to visit other schools throughout his junior and senior seasons before signing with his school of choice in December 2020.

“I’m gonna make that final decision when I sign,” Rucker said. “The classroom and what I can do if I don’t make it in football are important to me. Also the coaches, building relationships with them.”

With Vanguard in 2018, Rucker played mostly QB and he helped lead Vanguard to the third round of the playoffs, where they fell to Armwood.

“It went good,” Rucker said of his sophomore year. “I threw for over 1,000 and rushed for over 1,000 yards.”

Rucker is making the switch to receiver full-time as a junior and is spending his off-season focusing on gaining weight, with his goal to get up to 180-185 pounds.

“I’m playing receiver this year, I’m not playing quarterback any more. I’m looking forward to setting records and just balling.”

Advertisement
Rucker and Langston are beasts. Both seem pretty solid to UF but I like how the staff is doing their due diligence. Long way to go till the 2021 class so we need to evaluate all prospects.

The coaches can't have contact with the recruits visiting for the game this weekend. They applied for a waiver to be able to have contact with recruits off campus, but it was denied since they already used it last weekend at Traz.

Advertisement
The coaches can't have contact with the recruits visiting for the game this weekend. They applied for a waiver to be able to have contact with recruits off campus, but it was denied since they already used it last weekend at Traz.
Ah! I guess this is where you let the team recruit these kids??

What's the good word T? You know when i see your name on a thread I jump in and open it up to see if I'm getting non-sugarcoated tidbits about football skills/tactics, recruits or just watching you obliterate some unfortunate soul.

I know it's a gaytor area but how are we looking with these Vanguard kids, especially Langston?

Advertisement
I don’t know him..never met him but I guarantee you bc of his last name...we are DEFINITELY related.

Bruh my white Lauderhill self still running by you on 49th court as youngins.

You dont remember though....👀😂😂😂

Advertisement
Back