4-star WR Nabers in touch with Likens, ready for return visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Comeaux (LA) 4-star WR Malik Nabers visited the Miami Hurricanes back in late January when he was in town for a 7-on-7 tournament. Before the talented wideout left campus, the UM staff let Nabers know he had an offer to attend Miami.

“It was a great experience at the U, it was my first time going,” Nabers said. “It was nice, I really liked it. They toured us around the facilities and the campus. It was around the Super Bowl, so they told us we couldn’t see the locker room because the San Francisco 49ers were using it. So we really just toured the coaching offices and all that. I was just surprised when I got the offer.”

Since then, Nabers has kept in touch with the Miami staff, and recently spoke to both receivers coach Rob Likens and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee over the weekend.

“I’m looking to come back to Miami as soon as possible,” Nabers said. “Probably around sometime in April they think everything should be cleared up and everybody will be able to go on visits again.”

The 6-0 190 pound prospect has been building a relationship with Likens over the past few weeks and has been excited by what he’s heard about the Miami program.

“He’s been telling me it’s a great school to come to and that Florida’s very nice to live in, great weather,” Nabers said of Likens. “He’s told me the fans are great, and the offense that they run, I could fit right in and I’d have a chance to come in and play early.”

Aside from what Likens is telling him, Nabers says he has done some of his own digging on the Canes as well.

“They have a lot of players that went into the Hall of Fame like Ray Lewis,” Nabers said. “I’ve researched a lot of their former players, they have a great track record of sending players to the league. They have a great defense all the time and the hope is to get the offense turned around this year, so I’m excited to watch them.”

Aside from Miami, Nabers says some schools standing out for him and who he hears from a lot includes Virginia, Louisville, Utah, Mississippi State, Kentucky, and Houston, while programs such as Washington State and Texas Tech have recently gotten in touch.

Although he had a spring break visit slate planned in mid-March, all of Nabers’ trips got cancelled because of coronavirus concerns and he’s not sure when he will able to make them up.

“I haven’t set anything up yet, it’s been kind of crazy right now,” Nabers said of his future visits. “The week I was planning to take a bunch of visits on my spring break, everything got cancelled and shut down. As soon as this all dies down, I’ll probably take a few visits.”

Like most prospects from Louisiana, Nabers is waiting on an offer from defending national champion LSU, and he visited the campus in Baton Rouge last summer.

“I think it should be coming pretty soon, I’ve been working hard for it,” Nabers said of an LSU offer. “If it does come, I wouldn’t be surprised, I’ll be thankful because I earned it.”

And if the Tigers do offer?

“They’d probably somewhere between Virginia, Mississippi State, Miami, Kentucky - the teams that have been dealing with me hard,” Nabers said. “They’d probably be up there.”

With a bounty of options for the 4-star receiver, Nabers admits it’s been tough to narrow down his choices thus far.

“It’s been kind of hard choosing a school, but I think I’ll probably make my decision during the season,” Nabers said. “I’ll probably release a top 10 in May or after the summer if I hit up some camps and get some new offers.”

What will he be looking for in a school when it comes time to make his decision?

“Coaching, a track record of players that have come through, graduated, and went to the league,” Nabers said. “Everything a kid really wants to see that helps them get to the league.”

As a junior for the Spartans in 2019, Nabers recorded a line of 58 catches, 1,223 receiving yards, and 21 TD’s despite turmoil at the QB position.

“I think I could’ve done much better, but this year at times we didn’t have a quarterback, our quarterback was hurt,” Nabers said. “When I’m on the field, I’m very physical. I don’t do a lot of trash talking, I just let my game speak for itself.”

Going into his senior season, Nabers has a set list of areas in his game that he is looking to improve.

“I want to get faster, I want to be able to run away from defenders after I catch the ball,” Nabers said. “Yards after catch and not getting tackled by the first defender, being more crisp in my routes, coming out of my breaks faster. A lot of things.”

Advertisement
LSU has 1 wr commit already.

Honestly if they are being strategic i would turn the heat up on this kid and 2 other wrs out of Louisiana. Having Lsu having to take extra wrs from their home state forces or opens up the Yulkeith Brown, Jacorey Brooks for us. They will end up being full either way.

This kid is the goods..i want him...but if LSU offers....he gone.

Honestly if they are being strategic i would turn the heat up on this kid and 2 other wrs out of Louisiana. Having Lsu having to take extra wrs from their home state forces or opens up the Yulkeith Brown, Jacorey Brooks for us. They will end up being full either way.

Hopefully he's a plan B type kid for LSU and we catch a break as they prioritize other targets higher on their board

Hopefully he's a plan B type kid for LSU and we catch a break as they prioritize other targets higher on their board

My whole point. Their state has a good number of 4 star wr's this year....he likely is a plan b type. And with LSU offense being open they are going more national as well. Louisiana can be had to sneak 1 out of there...or even have them fill up and not go after Yulkeith Brown fully who is an LSU lock..or Brooks who is interested in them.

Advertisement
My whole point. Their state has a good number of 4 star wr's this year....he likely is a plan b type. And with LSU offense being open they are going more national as well. Louisiana can be had to sneak 1 out of there...or even have them fill up and not go after Yulkeith Brown fully who is an LSU lock..or Brooks who is interested in them.
Will be interesting to see how much LSU actually values Yulkeith on their board cuz we know he's a priority for us.

Advertisement

Facts.

LSU will undoubtedly get Brian Thomas Jr who's a local kid from Walker Louisiana, then they're also after Chris Hilton from Zachary LA, they have Deion Smith from Mississippi committed & are also after Destyn Pazon from Edna Karr & Antonio Harmon from Mississippi.

Plus there's top National kids like Quaydarius Davis from TX, Troy Franklin from Cali & Emeka Egbuka from Washington they're all after too.

If they take any South Fla WR's it's more of a political chess move to keep their South Fla pipeline open more than anything, because outside of Brooks, I don't see kids like lil Yul or Romello playing much as TF's at LSU.

TAMU is our biggest threat for Brinson, Dameyune Craig & James Coley are putting in extra work to build a South Fla pipeline to College Station.

He said he visited LSU last summer.. but he visited us in January.. so it's probably between us and LSU if they offer if ...we will see

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back