4-star UL commit Kinsler will be on campus next weekend, talks Canes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Though it’s still early, 2020 4-star defensive end Latarie Kinsler is one of the more highly recruited sophomores in the nation so far. Scholarships have come in from some of the top schools in the nation including Oregon, Notre Dame, and Nebraska, while back in February, Kinsler also landed an offer from the Miami Hurricanes as one of new D-Line coach Jess Simpson’s first offers.

“My coach called me out of the classroom and was like ‘Miami offered you.’ That was big news to me because Miami’s close and they’ve produced so many defensive lineman in the NFL,” Kinsler said of his UM offer.

A slight issue? Kinsler has been committed to Louisville since July of last year and maintains his commitment is still strong with the Cardinals. However, he will be checking out all his options to make sure he is making the best decision for his future.

“My status with UL is still strong. The coaches check-in on me a lot, every day basically, so my status is still strong with them guys,” Kinsler said, before adding: “Basically, I’m committed but my recruitment is still 100% open. I’m not sure when I’ll make a final decision. It’ll be sometime my 12th grade year.”

Now with a Canes offer in hand, UM is starting to feel more like a legitimate landing spot for Kinsler. The staff has made sure he’s felt wanted and sent two coaches to his spring game last week.

“Coach Simpson was at my spring game this past Friday, him and coach Rumph. I couldn’t talk to them then, but last time I talked to Coach Simpson, he was telling me I fit their scheme and I’d be the perfect edge guy for their scheme and everybody would love me in Miami.”

It’s the tradition that comes with 5 national titles and countless All-Americans that is drawing Kinsler closer to the Miami program, as well as the opportunity to be a part of that tradition.

“The history of Miami is what has me most interested. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed I love those guys. I used to watch them all the time,” Kinsler said. “They’ve got a great history there, so if I could come and be a part of history, that’d be amazing, for me and my family.”

You won’t have to wait long to catch Kinsler on campus: he’ll be at UM next weekend with the rest of the Pahokee team for a 7-on-7 tournament held for the big in-state high schools.

“Of course I’m getting to Miami. I’ll be there next weekend,” Kinsler said. “I think I’ll be at Paradise Camp as well, that’s the one coach Simpson wants me to get to.”

While Kinsler maintains he can line up anywhere on the field, Miami’s looking at the 6’4” 208 pounder as defensive end. It’s Kinsler’s versatility that makes him a real weapon for the Pahokee defense.

“I’m a pass-rusher. I can get to the quarterback from anywhere on the field, from linebacker to defensive line,” Kinsler said. “And sometimes the coaches at Pahokee even put me at the nickel linebacker/cornerback spot, so they want me to get pressure from everywhere on the field. Last year, I think I had 13 sacks, 55 tackles, and 5 forced fumbles. No doubt we’re going to win states this year.”

In terms of other programs looking at Kinsler, there are a few fighting Louisville and Miami for his signature.

“Oregon, they be recruiting me very hard. Clemson be recruiting me hard. Also, Notre Dame been recruiting me hard. Kentucky is recruiting me hard. And Syracuse. That’s about it,” Kinsler said.

And, when it comes down to it, Kinsler knows what will make the difference and set that one school a apart from the others.

“It’ll be my relationship with the coaches and, not just like a football relationship, but a relationship outside of football,” Kinsler said. “I want to go to the school that’s going to give me the best education. And a school where I can go to and play and fit in.”

Advertisement
Though it’s still early, 2020 4-star defensive end Latarie Kinsler is one of the more highly recruited sophomores in the nation so far. Scholarships have come in from some of the top schools in the nation including Oregon, Notre Dame, and Nebraska, while back in February, Kinsler also landed an offer from the Miami Hurricanes as one of new D-Line coach Jess Simpson’s first offers.

“My coach called me out of the classroom and was like ‘Miami offered you.’ That was big news to me because Miami’s close and they’ve produced so many defensive lineman in the NFL,” Kinsler said of his UM offer.

A slight issue? Kinsler has been committed to Louisville since July of last year and maintains his commitment is still strong with the Cardinals. However, he will be checking out all his options to make sure he is making the best decision for his future.

“My status with UL is still strong. The coaches check-in on me a lot, every day basically, so my status is still strong with them guys,” Kinsler said, before adding: “Basically, I’m committed but my recruitment is still 100% open. I’m not sure when I’ll make a final decision. It’ll be sometime my 12th grade year.”

Now with a Canes offer in hand, UM is starting to feel more like a legitimate landing spot for Kinsler. The staff has made sure he’s felt wanted and sent two coaches to his spring game last week.

“Coach Simpson was at my spring game this past Friday, him and coach Rumph. I couldn’t talk to them then, but last time I talked to Coach Simpson, he was telling me I fit their scheme and I’d be the perfect edge guy for their scheme and everybody would love me in Miami.”

It’s the tradition that comes with 5 national titles and countless All-Americans that is drawing Kinsler closer to the Miami program, as well as the opportunity to be a part of that tradition.

“The history of Miami is what has me most interested. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed I love those guys. I used to watch them all the time,” Kinsler said. “They’ve got a great history there, so if I could come and be a part of history, that’d be amazing, for me and my family.”

You won’t have to wait long to catch Kinsler on campus: he’ll be at UM this weekend with the rest of the Pahokee team for a 7-on-7 tournament held for the big in-state high schools.

“Of course I’m getting to Miami. I’ll be there this weekend,” Kinsler said. “I think I’ll be at Paradise Camp as well, that’s the one coach Simpson wants me to get to.”

While Kinsler maintains he can line up anywhere on the field, Miami’s looking at the 6’4” 208 pounder as defensive end. It’s Kinsler’s versatility that makes him a real weapon for the Pahokee defense.

“I’m a pass-rusher. I can get to the quarterback from anywhere on the field, from linebacker to defensive line,” Kinsler said. “And sometimes the coaches at Pahokee even put me at the nickel linebacker/cornerback spot, so they want me to get pressure from everywhere on the field. Last year, I think I had 13 sacks, 55 tackles, and 5 forced fumbles. No doubt we’re going to win states this year.”

In terms of other programs looking at Kinsler, there are a few fighting Louisville and Miami for his signature.

“Oregon, they be recruiting me very hard. Clemson be recruiting me hard. Also, Notre Dame been recruiting me hard. Kentucky is recruiting me hard. And Syracuse. That’s about it,” Kinsler said.

And, when it comes down to it, Kinsler knows what will make the difference and set that one school a apart from the others.

“It’ll be my relationship with the coaches and, not just like a football relationship, but a relationship outside of football,” Kinsler said. “I want to go to the school that’s going to give me the best education. And a school where I can go to and play and fit in.”

what the f**k does that even mean? Do these kids not realize how stupid they sound??

Relax man he's only 16 years old.
IDGAF, when I was 16 I knew what committed meant. I was committed to my school work and making sure I got grades so I didnt have to pay for my college. I was committed to staying out of trouble. I knew my dad was committed to my mom.

It's pretty simple, if you aren't committed to something, don't say that you are.

Advertisement
My status with UL is still strong. The coaches check-in on me a lot, every day basically, so my status is still strong with them guys,” Kinsler said, before adding: “Basically, I’m committed but my recruitment is still 100% open. I’m not sure when I’ll make a final decision. It’ll be sometime my 12th grade year.”

:puzzled:

IDGAF, when I was 16 I knew what committed meant. I was committed to my school work and making sure I got grades so I didnt have to pay for my college. I was committed to staying out of trouble. I knew my dad was committed to my mom.

It's pretty simple, if you aren't committed to something, don't say that you are.

Times were different when you were coming up 40 years ago. These kids dont think like that nowadays...

Advertisement
I wonder what the signed/commit rates would look like if plotted along a timeline of "verbal date vs. days from national signing day"? My hypothesis is that anyone that commits more than two years out is less than 20% likely to go to the school of his original verbal, and that signing ratio only goes up slightly until Junior day, roughly a year from signing day. Again, just speculating, but my guess is the ratio only passes 50% after Junior year Spring evals.

Being committed and 100% open would be like me telling my wife that I am committed to her until something better comes along. Oh, and I’m actively looking for someone else. Now, how about getting me a beer and my slippers.
I don't see anything wrong with that. Sounds reasonable & fair.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Unpopular opinion: the process isnt to entertain the fans or please the team. Kid is trying to decide his future. So he makes sure he's got a spot somewhere but keeps looking in case things change or a better fit comes around

its not rocket science, its their lives. grow up

What about the next kid up, who would have that offer and commit in a heartbeat, but he can't because it's presently occupied by the kid who has every intention of jumping ship when the "better fit comes around?" Where does that kid's future fit into your "unpopular opinion?"

But we’re you really committed to them hoes tho at 16?!? 👀👀🧐

Advertisement
Back