4-star TE signee Arroyo discusses signing with UM, excited to enroll for spring

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
This is the article version of Elijah Arroyo's podcast interview from Tuesday conducted by Brad Tejada. If you'd like to hear the full audio, *click here*.

On early signing day yesterday, 2021 Independence (TX) 4-star TE Elijah Arroyo made things official by signing with the Miami Hurricanes, and he spoke to CIS about what he sees in the future for this class.

“I think we’re going to do real great things… I think we’re going to be really good in the class of 2021 because I feel like we’re different,” Arroyo said.

UM signed a top 10 class in the early signing period according to the major recruiting services, and Arroyo points to his fellow TE signee as having played a big role in securing that level of talent.

“The biggest guy (I talk with) would probably be Kahlil Brantley,” Arroyo said. “He’s good with recruiting. I feel like he’s gotten a lot of the Northwestern dudes to come, I feel like that was all him. I feel like he’s really good at spreading the message to all the Florida dudes and telling them to stay home.”

Arroyo has been committed to UM since May, choosing Miami over offers from Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, and Texas A&M among others, and the 4-star TE went into detail about what set the Hurricanes apart from other programs.

“The first thing would probably be academics, just because as of right now, I want to major in kinesiology and Miami is one of the top 5 schools for that,” Arroyo said. “Well, that, and I used to live down there in Miami, so I have a lot of family there. So that way, when I get down there, I’ll be able to see my family whenever I want to. And really just the coaching staff. They’re really down to earth and I can tell they’re real ones. They’re men of their words.”

Arroyo committed to the Hurricanes sight unseen, as he was unable to visit during the spring due to the campus shutdowns after receiving his offer in January. Miami was able to make up for that due to the fact Arroyo had grown up in the area and was already familiar with South Florida; he also had a baseline-level understanding of OC Rhett Lashlee’s offense going back to Lashlee's days at SMU.

“What I really like is, my high school offensive coordinator from last year, he was good friends with coach Lashlee, and he kind of tried to copy SMU’s offense and mix it with a little bit of other school’s offenses,” Arroyo said. “But I liked it because, last year, I would go to SMU’s practices and I could recognize plays based off our offense. It was very similar, so I feel like it should be pretty easy getting used to (Miami’s offense).”

The Independence star had enough faith in the program to commit to Miami coming off their 6-7 season in 2019, so it wasn’t a surprise to him that the Hurricanes finished 8-2 in the regular season in 2020. What he was impressed with, though, was that they lived up to their recruiting promises regarding the new offense and throwing to the TE.

“What has impressed me the most is that when I was getting recruited, they talked about how they were going to use their tight ends a lot,” Arroyo said. “I’m glad they lived up to that expectation because a lot of colleges, they’ll just tell you what you want to hear. I’m glad that (Miami) is actually living up to it. I knew they were going to use the tight ends a lot, but this is crazy. The stats they’re putting up, they’re eating every game.”

Of course, a big attraction for any tight end recruit is joining the “Tight End U” legacy at Miami, and Arroyo discussed some of his favorites at the position.

“My favorite tight end of all-time, probably Jimmy Graham,” Arroyo said. “I’d probably compare myself to Brevin (Jordan), except I’m not as big yet. I feel like I’ll get there. He has the route running skills of a wide receiver and that’s one of the aspects that I have that I use to my advantage.”

As a senior in 2020, Arroyo has had an explosive season in averaging 22.3 yards per catch on 31 receptions in 9 games, totaling 690 yards and 13 TD’s. He’s not done yet, though, as the Knights are still in the playoffs.

“(Playoffs) have been going good,” Arroyo said. “We just won our first playoff game this past Thursday and we’re heading into the second round, so we’re doing pretty good.”

Once his high school playoffs conclude, Arroyo will turn his attention to Coral Gables, as he is planning on enrolling next month at UM for the spring semester. He hopes to wear #8 at Miami.

"Of course I am (ready)," Arroyo said of enrolling early. "I'm trying to be the best I can be for myself and for the team."

Has Arroyo been thinking at all what it will be like running through the smoke in Hard Rock Stadium for his first game at UM or how his first TD catch will feel?

"I've been thinking about that since I was 5 years old," he said.

According to Arroyo, he is weighing in at 225 pounds now, up 15 pounds from his listed 6-4 210 frame, and he isn’t concerned about adding muscle mass for the 2021 college season.

“I know I really wanted to be around 220 for this season, but I know as soon as I get to Miami, I’m going to put on some weight,” Arroyo said. “So I’m not really too worried about (adding weight).”

And his message to Canes fans that have followed his recruitment?

“Love y’all, I’ll be there soon, and it’s all about ‘The U’.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m a big Brantley fan and in fact he may be as good an athlete as we have in this recruiting class. That being said, Arroyo, in my opinion, maybe the best player at his position in the class. I think he will be better than Jordan.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back