2023 4 Star Safety - Jayden Bonsu, NJ - Committing 08/14 @ 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don James would have been 69-70 yrs old and over 8 years removed from coaching his last college game when Butch left.

Not to mention he resigned from Washington because of NCAA scandal and Paul Dee at the time was the head of NCAA Infraction Committee (USC fans still curse his name for hammering them).

No way he was considered.

That coaching search was a colossal fvck up. From Shalala trying to get Alvarez, to Dee offering the job to Wannstedt, to former players trying to get Tuberville, Lubick, and Stevens the job.
Tubberville? That’s hilarious in consideration of the current version of the man.

Advertisement
It's not saying much compared to saying like we got the best player from Cali, Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc. Like just saying that he's the top recruit out of Oregon isn't very meaningful imo.

Btw I'm not complaining or saying its bad. But when you look at Oregon rankings, after him would literally be the #600 recruit in the nation. That's bad. Has nothing to do with him. Just saying it's not all that special that he's the best in Oregon. Him currently being the #15 player in Florida is a lot more meaningful imo.
Not special in the sense that the top player from North Dakota may not be much on the national level.
But getting the top player from any state does mean you beat the local schools; UO, OSU and UW. So it does mean a lot in that context.

Not special in the sense that the top player from North Dakota may not be much on the national level.
But getting the top player from any state does mean you beat the local schools; UO, OSU and UW. So it does mean a lot in that context.
Yeah but beating local schools also doesn’t mean as much as beating local schools who actually are in the same tier or higher than us. Beating out a more local program to North Dakota, would be meaningless as a judgment of how well recruiting is going. That would be like getting the top player from New York and being excited because it meant we beat out Syracuse…

Obviously this situation is better than those because Oregon and Washington are definitely good programs. So I mostly agree with your point, but there’s still levels to kt. Getting the best from Cali/Texas/Georgia/Florida are still in a whole different level of Local talent AND local program recruiting competitiveness.

Advertisement
Who SHOULD we have gone after?

Hindsight is 20/20 and I would love to say that I was championing to hire Saban from LSU but I didn’t and won’t pretend to now. At the time I wanted Schiano or Pagano. Schiano had just left for Rutgers and Pagano would follow Butch to Cleveland to be his DC. Schiano and Pagano were Butch’s best 2 assistants on the 2000 team

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Why wait until tomorrow to announce you are pushing it back. He could have done that in the tweet. He didn’t put out a tweet before he announced he was moving it up.
it's 2022. Kids tweet same thing for top 20 announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back