4-star RB and UM commit Franklin: "I’m still 100% with Miami"

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 4-star RB Thad Franklin had a quick and simple path to becoming a Miami commit. The Chaminade-Madonna star only took a short time to think things over after receiving his UM offer, giving his pledge to the coaching staff two days later back in October.

“It felt good because that’s always where I wanted to go to college at and that’s my dream school,” Franklin said.

A big reason Franklin felt comfortable committing early in the first place was former running backs coach Thomas Brown.

“Before coach Thomas Brown got fired, we had a good relationship, so I felt like he was a good coach and we understood each other,” Franklin said.

Now that Brown is gone, though, Franklin says his status is still the same.

“I’m still 100% with Miami,” Franklin said. “I’m going to take other visits, just to see other places, but I’m all Miami.”

Along with his general affinity for the Miami program, Franklin has come to develop a relationship with new RB coach Eric Hickson that has him at ease with his Hurricanes’ commitment.

“It’s good with us,” Franklin said of Hickson. “I talked to him last week when he came to my school, we were just catching up.”

In fact, Franklin has his eye on a few players that he is recruiting to join the 2021 class with him. One prospect in particular he’d like to add is a teammate with multiple early Power 5 offers.

“He just transferred to our school, Bralon Brown, he’s a receiver,” Franklin said. “Coach Hickson was watching him play too, but he doesn’t have an offer yet.”

Miami is off to a fast start in recruiting for 2021, and currently has the #1 class in the country. Franklin attributes that to the tight bond his classmates share and he is looking forward to teaming up in college.

“We all grew up together playing little league, and we all talked about playing together at the next level,” Franklin said. “When we get to Miami, it’s going to be good, everyone has good talent.”

Since his commitment, Franklin has been a frequent visitor to campus. Franklin’s last visit to Miami came on the Junior Day event held in February, during which Franklin met the new coaches and studied film.

“We broke up into our position coaches and went into the offices and the coaches showed us film for 20 minutes on what they do in practice,” Franklin said. “We took pictures, and they introduced all the new coaches on stage.”

A breakout sophomore season for Franklin helped lead Chaminade to a second consecutive state title, which the Lions won over King’s Academy. The 6-0 195 pound back recorded 1,602 rushing yards and 14 TD’s on a whopping 9.8 yards per carry for the Lions on the way to earning some hardware in 2018.

“I think we did good, to go back-to-back like that is big,” Franklin said. “It was a goal of ours and now this season we’re going for the three-peat.”

The senior core of that championship roster signed with the Canes in the 2019 class, and Franklin says he still keeps in touch with some of his former teammates.

“I talk to Cam (Williams) and Keontra (Smith) all the time,” Franklin said. “Cam is always saying he’s ready to play together at the next level.”

As for his expectations for his freshman season at Miami, Franklin says he just wants to get on the field.

“I’ll play anywhere they need me to play - running back, special teams, it doesn't matter.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
“I’m still 100% with Miami,” Franklin said. “I’m going to take other visits, just to see other places, but I’m all Miami.”

This is why kids decommit, we need to be like Clemson, you commit but still do visits, we are pulling the offer.

This is why kids decommit, we need to be like Clemson, you commit but still do visits, we are pulling the offer.
Clemson winning NC! We can't change Clemson jock shorts let alone try to imitate them.

We are nobody until we win on the field again. Only then is when we will be able to force our hand with these recruits.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Miami isn’t good enough to pull that sh*t. Clemson can do that because they’ll just replace the player with one equally as good.

Advertisement
Advertisement
How fast is he? Looks slow but still runs by people.. “deceptively fast”? Or is the comp buns?

He's also developing physically still and younger than most on the field....SMH

Fingers crossed here. This kid will be waking up to bags on his porch senior year.

He's also developing physically still and younger than most on the field....SMH

Fingers crossed here. This kid will be waking up to bags on his porch senior year.
I’m just curious what his numbers are, and if they were good or bad i wouldn’t really mind, since he will have what? 3 years to improve or worsen? It just looked like he was hella slow on film yet was as fast or faster than everyone on the defense so it was weird to me lol

Advertisement
Back