4-star QB McLaughlin building relationship with Lashlee, talks AU decommitment

Advertisement
Lawyer for the past 25 years, but migrating slowly but surely into landscaping. I'm currently a part owner of a landscape company and hoping that will become full time in the next 6-12 months (still splitting time).
How about yourself?
Let me butt in to congratulate you for transitioning into an honorable profession.

At least your clients will know when you've done the job right.

Advertisement
The kid has a gun. He can threaten the entire field.
Pros :
Arm strength
Accuracy
Athleticism
Good touch on some difficult throws
Can make plays off-script

Negatives:
Holds the ball far too long
Stares down his receivers
Doesn't secure ball while scrambling
Only does half-field reads right now

This kid is a good fit for the scheme but he will need time to develop and learn how to execute full-field reads. He has good upside and physical tools you can't teach. He just needs time to develop so a good QB coach is vital for his development but that's every QB.
Good observations, but disagree with holding the ball far too long. Perhaps for a drop back QB, but the kid‘s more a dual threat and that results in either him running or trying to make things happen, and he seems successful at both besides throwing. One can argue he’s not gonna have that much time at CFB level, but he could up his game at that level too. Who knows?

The faults this guy has. Are ones that can be fixed. He is not a day one starter but could be a very good player come his 3rd year.

Not every QB has to start day one. I know for this program and the luck we've had. Feeling the need for someone to come in and take the reigns. Is a must but if the OC is as billed. You got Perry, Martell, Matocha and TVD. One of those dudes should be ready to play.

Ever since offensive coordinator and QB coach Rhett Lashlee joined the Miami Hurricanes last month, one of his top priorities has been to lock up a quarterback for UM’s 2021 class. Three weeks back, that search expanded to Alpharetta, Georgia when Lashlee visited Denmark High and extended an offer to 4-star QB Aaron McLaughlin.

“I just talked to coach Lashlee after he came by the school that day. Later that night, he called and told me I had an offer there, it was pretty exciting,” McLaughlin said of his UM offer. “I definitely want to get down there and check it out when the dead period is over, I’m excited to go see what it’s like. [Lashlee] said that when I come down and visit, he’ll tell me more about how I’d fit into his offense.”

Since then, McLaughlin has been busy building a relationship with Lashlee, but their connection actually extends back to 2016.

“We talk probably about once a week, he’ll text me every once and awhile and see how I’m doing,” McLaughlin said of Lashlee. “He’s a great guy, I like him a lot. He had come by my school and I had first met him when he was at Auburn, so I’ve known him for awhile.”

Lashlee would leave Auburn by the end of 2016, but interestingly enough, the Tigers were the program McLaughlin first committed to in July of 2019. However, just two weeks ago, McLaughlin decided to open things back up and decommit from AU with former OC Kenny Dillingham headed to FSU.

“It was mostly the coaching changes, I wanted to step back and make sure I’m making the best decision for my future - I’ll still consider them,” McLaughlin said of his Auburn decommitment. “I decommitted for a reason, but I’m not completely shutting them out.”

Taking a step back has opened the door for a school like Miami, a place McLaughlin admits has peaked his interest recently.

“Just the direction it’s headed, I definitely think they’ve had some good recruiting classes the last few years, and with coach Lashlee, I think the offense is going to really pick up,” McLaughlin said of Miami. “Along with the tradition and the history of the school, the football program is very rich. It’s very intriguing.”

Now back on the market, McLaughlin has heard from multiple new schools, including the Canes, and he says he will be setting up visits to some of those programs in March in anticipation of a summer decision.

“NC State, Louisville, Rutgers has been talking to me a lot lately, Miami – a bunch of other schools too, but those are the main ones,” McLaughlin said. “I’ll probably make a decision over summer. I want to do it early enough where I can help recruit and build up the class. I’m not saying it’s certain I’ll do it over summer, but it’s probably when I will.”

With an eye on playing at the highest level of the game, it’s clear McLaughlin will prioritize skill development when choosing a school.

“I want to be developed to be able to play in the NFL if given the opportunity, so I guess I’m looking for a school that can develop me into a good football player,” McLaughlin said. “Also, a place where I feel at home and can get a good education as well.”

In 10 games for the Danes during his junior season, McLaughlin recorded 2,018 passing yards, a 17-7 TD-INT split, and a 60.9% completion percentage. He also added 284 yards rushing and 9 TD’s on the ground.

“I have a really, really strong arm, I can sit in the pocket and make every throw on the field,” McLaughlin said. “But when the play breaks down, I’m super athletic and can extend the play and make things happen. So, I guess you’re getting the best of both worlds with me is what I look at it as.

“This offseason, I’ve just been throwing a bunch, working out - speed, agility, lifting. Just been watching film and stuff, so my goal would be to continue to develop overall.”

At the Opening Atlanta Regional last March, McLaughlin posted a 4.84 40-yard dash, a 4.38 shuttle time, and a 34.30 inch vertical leap.

Forget his 40 time , his game speed very good and his long ball sweet always on the correct shoulder only receiver can get to impressive kid.

Tell me please if you saw a Marino type style before he runs , his side stepping maneuvers always watching his options (progressions) then slings that ball.

The kid has a gun. He can threaten the entire field.
Pros :
Arm strength
Accuracy
Athleticism
Good touch on some difficult throws
Can make plays off-script

Negatives:
Holds the ball far too long
Stares down his receivers
Doesn't secure ball while scrambling
Only does half-field reads right now

This kid is a good fit for the scheme but he will need time to develop and learn how to execute full-field reads. He has good upside and physical tools you can't teach. He just needs time to develop so a good QB coach is vital for his development but that's every QB.
The negatives can be fixed...the Positives can't be taught...

Advertisement
The negatives can be fixed...the Positives can't be taught...

^^this^^. I have seen him play several times. He is a take. High football IQ... has a little Dorsey and Aaron Rogers in him.

Last edited:
Should we be concerned that he’s only talking to a Rutgers, Louisville type schools along with us? I love his film and abilities but wonder why he isn’t being recruited harder by bigger schools.

Advertisement
Should we be concerned that he’s only talking to a Rutgers, Louisville type schools along with us? I love his film and abilities but wonder why he isn’t being recruited harder by bigger schools.

most bigger schools already have a qb by now.

Advertisement
You are so right about that. You can get the murder case dismissed or a million dollar judgment and the client will find something to complain about.
I've won murder cases only to have my client get mad that he had to pay me for a case that the Govt never should have brought. And whereas I agree with that sentiment in some cases, it does ignore the attorney's work.

Seems like Lashalee likes him and a few others but hasn’t chosen his top 1/2 guys yet.

sort of.

it's Garrett Nussmeier first, without question. then I agree with you. it's one of miller moss, mclaughlin, colten gauthier, ty thompson, all in the mix for the spot if nussmeier tells us he's no longer interested. (and as usual, you'll see a couple more offers in the fall from guys we haven't heard of yet, assuming, of course, nussmeier isn't locked up at some point).

Last edited:
Both his parents are SMU alum & his older brother walked on to them as well.

Stone is a SMU lock, his dad is a booster, wouldn't be allowed to go elsewhere if he even wanted to.

i know El is being a bit tongue in cheek, but he is correct. stone wants to be at SMU, and he's not going anywhere unless something really odd happens.

see directly above for my note with the latest on where we stand with the QB's right now.

Advertisement
Back