4-star QB Del Rio recaps third UM visit, close to narrowing down options

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 McEachern 4-star QB Carlos Del Rio lives and plays football in Powder Springs, Georgia, but that hasn’t kept him from making multiple trips down south for the purpose of seeing the University of Miami. After making his way to Miami’s campus back in June for a Mark Richt summer camp (where he earned his offer) and in October for the FSU game, Del Rio made his third such visit to Coral Gables a little over a week ago to see just how much had changed in the Miami program since the end of 2018.

“I didn’t get a chance to speak to coach (Dan) Enos or coach (Manny) Diaz, they were pretty busy, but it was cool though,” Del Rio said. “I watched practice, took a tour with the players, recruiting coach, and the player personnel coach, real cool coaches. Also spoke to coach (Jesse) Stone, he was talking to me about the new system and stuff like that.”

The Canes haven’t been the only school Del Rio has visited this spring, though. He has made recent trips to Florida, Ohio State, LSU, and Ole Miss, while stopping in most recently for Alabama’s spring game over the weekend. Del Rio has upcoming plans to visit a few more schools from the Big 10 and Big 12, and then he will narrow down his options likely over the summer.

“I’m talking to all the coaches trying to find the best fit, where I could really help a team and make a difference and impact,” Del Rio said. “I’m just trying to narrow down a couple schools as soon as possible. I have a couple more schools I want to visit and then I think I will definitely know.”

Why might Miami make his top list?

“The environment is cool and the school is a top school,” Del Rio said of the Canes. “And it’s Miami, warm sun and beautiful everything.”

Del Rio took a step forward in his second season as the starting QB for McEachern, making improvements in every major statistical category despite injuries to his receiving corps. The 6’3” 200 pound prospect finished with 2,138 yards passing and a 57% completion percentage, as well as a 20-11 TD-INT ratio, while helping lead the Indians to the quarterfinals of their playoff bracket before falling to Colquitt County.

“I had a pretty good year,” Del Rio said. “We lost all our receivers early on but still made it to the quarterfinals in the biggest classification in Georgia, 7A. But, I gotta get that state title this year.”

The big season aided Del Rio in opening eyes within the recruiting industry, and led to him being nationally ranked in the newest Top247 by 247Sports for the 2021 class released just last week.

“It felt great to get ranked,” Del Rio said. “Everybody always assumed I was already a 4 or 5-star, so feels good to be able to say I am now.”

Del Rio’s goal is to have his decision made by the end of his junior season and it’s clear he’s looking for a program that is on the rise.

“Coaching, O-Line, receivers, depth chart… I want to play. I want a team going in the right direction and that I can help make a better team.”

Advertisement
“I didn’t get a chance to speak to coach (Dan) Enos or coach (Manny) Diaz, they were pretty busy, but it was cool though,”

When asked about narrowing down his choices.

“I’m talking to all the coaches trying to find the best fit, where I could really help a team and make a difference and impact,”

Top flight QB on the board. Not even a few words from our on field coaches. Is this normal?

“I didn’t get a chance to speak to coach (Dan) Enos or coach (Manny) Diaz, they were pretty busy, but it was cool though,”

When asked about narrowing down his choices.

“I’m talking to all the coaches trying to find the best fit, where I could really help a team and make a difference and impact,”

Top flight QB on the board. Not even a few words from our on field coaches. Is this normal?

Seems strange indeed

Advertisement
Can't imagine why neither met with him if he is on the board at all.

Must be a) we have zero actual interest or b) we have little interest and are so confident we are getting someone else that we only care enough to let him to the regular visit. Not the "you're our QB!" visit.

Is the staff even interested in this kid?

I doubt there is much interest here. Dude’s a QB on a visit and the QB coach can’t see him?

May be some interest but that offer can’t possibly be committable.

Can't imagine why neither met with him if he is on the board at all.

Must be a) we have zero actual interest or b) we have little interest and are so confident we are getting someone else that we only care enough to let him to the regular visit. Not the "you're our QB!" visit.
Either way. I think it's a bad look not to give the kid a minute. More on Enos than Manny imo. But the circle of CFB is smaller than you think and treating anyone, especially players/coaches, without respect can bite you in the *** down the road imo.

Advertisement
His film looks good and from a Georgia powerhouse, Diaz/enos must like Garcia better being that they all took a pic with him but couldn't even meet with del rio. Bring both to camp this summer

If Enos and Diaz were in today and they really want him, they would have made time.

I like this kid, but I’m no QB expert either.

I don’t know, it may be their way of telling him to move on, I just don’t know. Or maybe they literally weren’t on campus or there was a miscommunication, who knows.

Doesnt seem like he took it as a slight but who knows. I’ll guess we’ll find out if he comes back or not

Advertisement
Manny and Enos just said F you to the kid. The kid will move on now. Miami probably ends up chasing the kid in the next cycle and he gets a chance to return da favor.

Advertisement
The only thing I didn't like is he said he didn't get a chance to meet with Diaz and Enos. That's not good. In fact it's inexcusable. The coaches all know when the kids are visiting. You make time for the kids. I don't care if a kid is 2-star or 5-star. You make time for them or don't invite them to your campus. These recruits are coming here on unofficial visits which means they are paying their own way and you don't even meet with them?

I'm sorry. IMO, this is the quickest way to lose recruits. Not just the ones you didn't talk to. Other kids will take notice and say, "****!!! They did you like that? Well, I'm not going to bother visiting them."

You're only going to have a face to face with these kids 2-3 times before the recruit makes a decision. These are lost opportunities.

Seem much less than ideal. Isn’t he supposed to be a gifted qb?

He looks pretty good. I believe the staff has only offered 5 QBs next cycle and he's one, so it's a little odd they didn't even talk to him while he was in town. I think Garcia is the kid Enos really wants.

Advertisement
Back