4-star QB Brown recaps UM visit ahead of Friday announcement

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
This is the article version of Jacurri Brown's YouTube interview from yesterday. If you'd like to watch the full version, *click here*.

2022 Lowndes (GA) 4-star QB Jacurri Brown has become the top priority in this cycle at quarterback for Miami Hurricanes head coach Manny Diaz and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, and Brown recently got the chance to visit the Miami campus last weekend. Although he couldn’t meet with the coaches in person due to NCAA rules, Brown still felt both the city and the campus exceeded his expectations.

“It was a really good experience - I got to see some things I haven’t ever seen before, got to go to a place I haven’t been before, like a tourist,” Brown said of Miami. “I originally went there in 9th grade, so this time I went back and kind of saw it for what it was. Because you can listen to people talk about Miami, Liberty City, but until you go see it, there’s nothing like it.”

Of the campus and surrounding area itself, Brown seemed to appreciate the exotic climate that comes with living in Miami.

“I’m really into nature, I’m thinking about studying biology,” Brown said. “Going there, looking into the water and seeing huge fish - I got a picture of an iguana on my phone. It’s a nice college lifestyle living there.”

Although he’s from the Peach State, the 6’4” 205-pound passer has had an affinity for the Hurricanes for awhile now, and Brown has a list of favorite Hurricanes he likes to watch.

“I like watching Braxton Berrios, Ray Lewis - the whole early 2000’s teams, I’ve seen pretty much all of that,” Brown said. “Then DeeJay Dallas for sure, I’ve watched his highlights. Guys more recently – (Charleston) Rambo, I watched him before he came (to Miami).”

Now that he had the chance to experience one of his favorites in Miami, it is time for Brown to make his college decision. He is all set to announce his commitment live on CBS HQ from his high school on Friday morning (3/26) at 9:30 a.m ET. In addition to the Hurricanes, Arizona State, Auburn, Florida, and Texas A&M round out his final 5 schools. Even though Brown wasn’t giving anything away when talking about his decision, he still noted the importance of the day in his life.

“I’m just really excited about [my announcement],” Brown said. “I’ve worked my tail off this whole past year, going through all the adversity in my life and just really pushing through.”

On the field, Brown has already taken steps to make the most of this offseason. Earlier this month, Brown earned an invitation to the Elite 11 Finals to compete against the top QB’s in the country this summer after a strong performance in the Atlanta regional, and he spoke about his mindset going into the prior preliminary event.

“I walked in there with a chip on my shoulder,” Brown said. “I enjoyed myself, I had fun competing, but it was more about getting work in. Flying around, throwing the ball, vibing with guys – I’m a real big competitor, I don’t like losing.”

Brown ending up as a quarterback was no accident, as it seems playing the position runs in the family - Brown’s older brother Laxavier “Zay” Brown preceded him as the man under center at Lowndes and taught him the ropes regarding the position.

“My brother, he would teach me about the mobility side (of the position), being quick… just giving me that knack for playmaking,” Brown said. “Growing up with him and looking up to him, I was feeding off that.”

As for his thoughts regarding the leadership role that comes with playing the quarterback position, Brown didn’t hold back.

“I feel like criticism goes (first) to the coach, then to the quarterback. You have to be that guy that brings that energy that affects the whole team,” Brown said. “A good example is Tom Brady – he wasn’t the greatest of all time when he came in, but he had that mentality to affect everybody around him. He made AB (Antonio Brown) a winner, he made Mike Evans a winner. He brought a Super Bowl to a city that wasn’t looking for a Super Bowl until they got Tom Brady – one player on an eleven-man [offense] affected everybody to want to win.

“You just have to be that guy that’s going to push everybody - even defense, special teams – and bring that energy every day. You touch the ball every play, you start the play - you’re like an extension of the coach on the field. You also have to be that friend a player can relate with, (in terms of) things he wouldn’t tell his coach, but he would tell his quarterback.”

As a junior in 2020, Brown threw for 1,537 yards on a 47.8% completion percentage with 14 TD’s and 7 INT’s, adding 1,101 rushing yards and 16 TD’s on the ground. While Brown earned Georgia Sports Writers Association AAAAAAA first-team all-state honors and helped Lowndes to a 10-2 record last season, he is still not satisfied with his play.

“I want to get better at being more dynamic as far as a passer. And then stepping into the role as a leader and being more mature about things.”

Advertisement
Had he been in this “QB competition“ between TVD/Garcia/Matocha, he’d walk away 2nd string behind King.

U don’t win big in today’s CFB unless u have a mobile QB or u have Alabama level talent.

Advertisement
I don’t know fellas! Sounds like this kid may be the one that we’ve been looking for. I know, I know, I know. We say this about most of our QB recruits. This one may be a little different. That quote about Brady..... it brought chills. In the immortal words of Al Bundy, “Let’s Rock!”

Advertisement
Love the mindset but he needs to get in and work. Show it on the field, that's where it counts.

Would be great if he's King 2.0 on regards to mentality and physicality and we can be comfortable knowing we've got another one coming up

I don’t know fellas! Sounds like this kid may be the one that we’ve been looking for. I know, I know, I know. We say this about most of our QB recruits. This one may be a little different. That quote about Brady..... it brought chills. In the immortal words of Al Bundy, “Let’s Rock!”
‘This time it’s different.’

- Alan Greenspan, 1999

“Studying biology...Picture of an iguana on my phone” He comin’. Lol. Count me in with this kid. Already a fan and I haven’t seen him throw a football. Good luck to him and his choice today.

Advertisement
‘This time it’s different.’

- Alan Greenspan, 1999
Yea, I know. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: But he sounds good. That's why I said, "He MAY be the one we've been looking for". He's a leader, but now he's got to improve that completion percentage! The good thing is that if we get him, we don't have to depend on him to start in 2022, nor 2023. So he's got time to work on it.

Had he been in this “QB competition“ between TVD/Garcia/Matocha, he’d walk away 2nd string behind King.

U don’t win big in today’s CFB unless u have a mobile QB or u have Alabama level talent.
So would that then be the opposite since the QB that keeps winning in the NFL is a statue.

Although I would take Mahomes over anyone in the NFL right now including the two statues (Brady and Rogers).

Advertisement
I really want this kid. I know he wasn't the most accurate passer but his God given ability & size is just something you can't pass up.

This kid's floor is Patrick Mahomes.. He's a faster version of Lamar Jackson.. Josh Allen but with a bigger arm.. Russell Wilson but with more poise. Cam Newton's frame but way better.. pocket presence of Aaron Rodgers. He has all the pillars..

Completed less than 50% of his passes as a junior....red flag.
As a junior .. a young kid .. who had been in a run first offense and is just learning the passing game .. and don't forget that goes for his receivers as well. That is one fallacy of QB stats .. how many were "drops" by WR's and how many were actually bad passes. No idea .. but I like the assessment somebody made of him saying " A Tim Tebow with a good passing arm".

Advertisement
Back